Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 blackout for 3 gun rifle

3gunnah

assuming a 200yd zero and 1900fps (330pf w/ 175smk)

yds inches +/-

50 3.0

100 4.9

150 4.0

200 0.0

250 -7.3

300 -18.3

350 -33.2

400 -52.3

450 -76.2

500 -105.0

as you can see it drops like a rock, more than double that of a .223, at $0.30 per BULLET and $0.10 per case (tom freeman), compared to about $0.31 per loaded round of .223

I've got 2 different 300 Whispers (real frikkin close) and I have no desire to try 3 gun with that round. Just not worth it.

It'll make Major, but as I understand it, 300 AAC can't be used in Heavy Metal (requires 7.62X51mm).

uspsa.org/rules/2009TournamentRules.pdf

•Tactical minimum, .308 caliber.

Do they mean "308 Winchester or cartridges with a large case capacity are required" or do they mean "bullets of .308 or larger caliber?"

I've got 2 different 300 Whispers (real frikkin close) and I have no desire to try 3 gun with that round. Just not worth it.

I know what you mean about the trajectory concerns - we are working with Leupold to do custom scope reticles.

Scope is 1.5-5 FFP.

img1511a.jpg

scopeillume.jpg

scope.jpg

300 Whisper® does not have enough throat to load 175 MK to 2.26 OAL, so at the same pressure (say, 55,000 PSI), the Whisper probably cannot make Major in a 16 inch barrel.

assuming a 200yd zero and 1900fps (330pf w/ 175smk)

yds inches +/-

50 3.0

100 4.9

150 4.0

200 0.0

250 -7.3

300 -18.3

350 -33.2

400 -52.3

450 -76.2

500 -105.0

as you can see it drops like a rock, more than double that of a .223, at $0.30 per BULLET and $0.10 per case (tom freeman), compared to about $0.31 per loaded round of .223

Ken,

You forgot to include wind drift, which will be terrible too.

Thanks for the input guys! I was thinking of picking up a barrel and playng around with this round. The real reason to ask the question was to make the purchase more practical I will stick to .223 for three gun. Still thinks I will get the barrel though.!!

• 5 months later...

I've been playing with it and am seriously considering using it for USPSA nationals. USPSA Major is not caliber specific as the AMU used the 300 Gremlin last year.

It will make major. I got 175's at 1885 out of a 16" gun.

30 round mags / 48 round mags / I haven't tried the Beta Mag yet but whispers do fit and function.

trajectory arc works out pretty good with my Burris 1.5 x 6 XTR reticle. Once past 175 yards, each reticle line is 50 yard increments.

As far as the wind issue, according to my Sierra ballistic program, the 175 gr. at 1900 fps is within an inch of my current 3gun .223 load of 55 grain Sierra BlitzKings at 3100 fps, so the wind argument is null.

I'm still working on it, having fun in the process and will keep you informed.

Bruce Piatt

Edited by BPiatt

I think it sounds like a useful round. For USPSA only. So 1 match a year? If I were in contention to win I might consider it. Otherwise it is a big investment for one match. Who knows though, it might be the next big thing for USPSA rifle.

I find the throat talk interesting, I've owned I think 7 different 300/221's from 5 different companies and not a one of them was throated the same. Throating reamers are cheap enough. ;)

I love the little round, but in all honesty I found it to be very boring in the AR. But boring is the key to accurate shooting and if would make a heck of a weapon if that were your goal.

All in all worth checking out if you enjoy shooting.

Other than being ATAS, is there a reason why 300 BLK barrels are (all?) 16"?

Is there no velocity gain or even loss with a 18" or 20" barrel?

it's because 16" looks really good with molle gear.

I would think there has got to be some sort of velocity gain. Maybe it is the fact that this comes out of the NFA type crowd. 16" is usually a long barrel among that crowd (no I'm not bashing them, they look at us the same way) It will be interesting once some competition shooters get ahold of it. Like I said though, it seems useful for one match so I can't really see myself with one anytime soon.

Wait, what's this in the safe? :ph34r:

<-- 9" AR and a 16" rem700 in 300/221.

now if you had a 20" rifle gas barrel and were running maybe some 125's... maybe. but still expensive for this game, and only for USPSA scored matches. of which there are what? like 4 a year? ( :rolleyes: ) I'll stick with .223 in tac op and limited for now. and .308 win for HM

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 2 300 Blackouts running 175 OTM's making major, a 16 inch from Delta Company arms, and a CMMG 16 inch.

They feel much different than a 223 with a good comp. I'm looking for a 30 HRT barrel, then I'll test with a 125gr bullet, more gas available for a comp, but then again if the BLK catches on for 3 gun, the smith's will give us good comps.

For now, I'll shoot 223 at any match, brass is cheap, I always cry when I loose 6.8 spc cases. The 30 HRT should also work great with the surplus 145/147 gr FMJ's.

• 2 months later...

The only reason i havent messed around with this, is the barrels. I want a 18, or a 20in to play with! I think i could make a million dollars if i could just stretch the AR magwell a half inch longer. All the possibilities of new cratridges! sorry just daydreaming!

• 2 weeks later...