is a 9mm to much for a 12 year old

jsa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My daughter was started the same a G-ManBart when she was 13. All I had at the time was a 1911 and she loved it. When we moved to AZ and were closer to a range she went to our range's Jr. Smallbore program. The first time she shot a .22 she was 'What the.........'.

Jeff

Im new to the sport and im just starting my 12 year old son out. I have him shooting a glock model 17 with a advantage arms 22 kit and wanted him to start shooting with the 9mm top end. Any thoughts

john

Since I'm not sure what Texas Law is, All I'll say is all my kids (3) handle a 9mm VERY WELL. Mine are 19,15,11.

This is a target by my 15y/o. We don't compete and thus don't shoot enough. It's NOT perfect, but I was a proud papa. He wants to compete, but I don't even know where to start.

post-29172-034763100 1296790074_thumb.jp

This is a target by my 15y/o. We don't compete and thus don't shoot enough. It's NOT perfect, but I was a proud papa. He wants to compete, but I don't even know where to start.

Heck, that part is EASY! You're in the right place, no question. I know there has to be a bunch of folks in the greater Fort Worth/Dallas area that would be happy to help. USPSA has a Junior program that's worth looking into as well. Trust me, if you have a 15yr old son who wants to compete, the folks here will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

You could actually start a thread in the "USPSA Shooting" section, and simply title it "Looking to get my son started" with a sub-title of "Fort Worth area" and I can guarantee, folks will respond.

Not to far from you:

http://www.dallaspistol.com/DAPS/

i download my little guy's .40 cal to about 126 pf

factory 9mm is always going to be too much for a kid, because it is too much for adults that win production.

download his ammo and he'll enjoy it a lot more.

ps

i LOVE my kid's .40 ammo for practice. i load about 10K rounds of it per year...

I was 7 years old and loved shooting my .22 while my dad shot the big guns. I always begged him to let me shoot the .44mag revolver and he always said no. One day I wanted to shoot it so bad I was brought to tears, so my dad thought he would let me feel what a .44 felt like. I already had safe gun handling skills and completed hunter's safety twice, even though I couldn't hunt yet. He put 1 round in and let me shoot it thinking I would hand it back never to beg him again. Quite the opposite :devil:

I LOVE .44's to this day and currently own a SW 629 Classic.

Point is...do what YOU think is right. If your kid has been around guns enough to know what they do when the trigger is pulled, he/she will likely do fine with a gun that kicks more.

Shooting rifle, my dad always let me put my hand on his shoulder to feel the recoil. Shooting 7mm mag by the time I was 10.

Keep in mind these practices CAN and most likely WILL cause your child to develop a flinch, so I'd say keep rounds to a minimum at first. I had to unlearn a few things as I got older and started the LR precision thing.

Edited by Erik S.

Im new to the sport and im just starting my 12 year old son out. I have him shooting a glock model 17 with a advantage arms 22 kit and wanted him to start shooting with the 9mm top end. Any thoughts

john

I think he should be ready. Check out "The Youngest IPSC Shooter" on Youtube.

He is shooting today another 200 round down to tube.

I guess its new to him so he wants to shoot every day now!!!

John

Shooting is like a drug....you don't want to addict people that can't support their own habit...unless you have REALLY deep pockets! :roflol::roflol:

Only kidding...glad your kid had fun shooting the 9!

Late last season we had a guy start showing up to our IDPA matches with his 12 and 13 year old sons. They had a Beretta 92, 1911 and some Taurus I forget which that they traded back and forth. The boys took no time at all getting as good as dad. Best thing about it was he put them to work picking up brass since he paid for ammo. They started picking up all the brass they could find and sorting it for us, and they were happy to do it. Man I love that family!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my grandson shooting since he was 4 years old. Last summer, at the age of 7 he took first in the youth division here in colorado in steel challenge. He can also shoot my 1911 45 acp, AR15's and my competition master shotgun. He turned 8 this past december. I will tell you this, keep your kids lead free, constantly washing with leadout wipes. Also be aware that until age 7 they are very intolerant to any lead. Very important to watch the lead as we really don't have enough empirical data on what lead truly does for extended period of time. I am currently training him for IPSC and believe he will be awesome in that also. Yep, train them young

He is 5'4 and about 115 lbs and loves to shoot I think he is ready but like to see what others think as a safety tip.

Does your state law allow children of your son's age to handle and shoot handguns? In Iowa the minimum age is 14.

I went to several major matches in iowa before I was 14 and have never been questioned by anyone about being old enough to shoot. Huh

Yea but you grew a full beard at 12 also

My dad had me shooting 9mm at 9 years old (how ironic). Ruger P89. I still like to take it out now and then. I'm 29 now.

No problem. I never touched a 22LR until a few years later.

Jumping straight from bb/pellet was not an issue. I learned safe handling with the air, before moving to the fire.

Edited by JaeOne3345

• 2 weeks later...

I took my wife and oldest son through a hand gun safety course. They both did well and learned a lot. He has no troubles with the 9mm and has shot .40 as well. Some mental preparation is helpful so he isn't "gun shy" but it should be great!

I'm planning on transitioning my 12 year old to 9mm as well. Something that someone else told me makes a lot of sense, so I'll pass it along for what it's worth. For my 12yo he's a little bit reluctant because he thinks that the recoil will be huge and knock him over. So to overcome this we've been starting out slowly. He's shot .22 a lot and has shot several rifles as well. This weekend I had him helping me with some home renovation - pounding in nails with a hammer. I told him that the recoil from a 9mm is not any stronger than hitting a nail really hard or hitting a board with the hammer. The only difference is the big flash and loud noise. That got him pretty excited! He's looking forward to it now - of course we'll double plug to help with the noise as well and see how it goes. Good luck!

It's not all about recoil. It's funny at 11-12 years old I LOVED shooting my dads Model 19, full throttle 357 Mag loads. Didn't mind the recoil or the muzzle blast. Yet I wanted nothing to do with his Gold Cup. Too much going on I guess with the muzzle rise, torque, slide reciprocating, shell ejecting... Seems silly now, but that was the case. I had shorter arms back then. ;)

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...

Remember that shooting is just one part. Can they rack the slide, clear the possible jams, etc. That's also part of the game.

That is true! You must be running a Glock if clearing jams is an issue. 1911.....NO PROBLEM! :roflol: