Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just how ready out of the box is a TS for Limited

Iggy42

So I am looking at either a TS or a modified XDM for USPSA Limited and what I was wondering is how ready out of the box a TS is? I know there are things that can been done to enhance/upgrade it but do they really need to be tweaked that much?

Also I have been reading about some reliability issues with TS's, mostly slide stops, barrels, and slides either cracking or breaking. When I did some searching here it seemed like the posts talking about it where a couple years old, so does that mean the issues are corrected now?

I very much want to make the move up to Limited USPSA this year and on my budget I really like the TS (especially since the more research I did the less an EAA was a good choice for me) but if I have to drop another couple hundred bucks to get it running properly that will defenatly be a negative for me pick one up.

Finally anyone live around Harpers Ferry WV have one that I can take a look at? I am yet to see a TS (any CZ for that matter) up close and personal and I would really like to before I part with my hard earned cash.

I bought mine used from a friend who bought it new. He said that he did nothing to it and neither have I. I t has run fine since I bought it. It does like factory length ammo though. I load mine to 1.135, and it eats them up. I run the factory mags with the extended basepads from the CZ custom shop. THey needed no tweaking or tuning to run either. Gun is as accurate as I can make it but is a bit heavy for some.

Just my .02.

JZ

The CZ TS is a ready to race limited gun right out of the box other than needing a fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear sight. Those are the only two mods that I made on mine when I shot one in limited. The base pads got me to 21 rounds and that is plenty. Mine ran and was very accurate. I have sinced switched to the 2011 platform due to shooting open. Having shot both the 2011 and CZ in Limited I don't see that one has any real advantage over the other, except there are more smiths that can work on the 2011 and more parts suppliers. The heft and balance of the CZ make it easy to shoot and for B class and below I see it as an excellent choice. Ammo does need to be loaded short, and you will need to stick with jacketed bullets in the CZ. N320 makes a good powder choice. http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=46

Edited by CocoBolo

There is one set of modifications that is a must for USPSA - mag extensions. The CZC pads will easily give you 20+1 reloadable, and if you want to tweak them, you should be able to get 21+1. Right in line with typical 140mm 2011 mags.

If you are running with IPSC rules, then there truly isn't anything you need to do at all in order to be competitive.

The CZ TS is a ready to race limited gun right out of the box other than needing a fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear sight.

Neither of those are "needs" in order to be competitive. They are purely a matter of personal preference.

I myself cannot stand FOs and prefer fixed sights. I've gone back to the stock TS rear after playing with a HD-002; the HD rear just sits way too low, there's very little front sight left when zeroed. I've played with just about every rear sight made for the TRT cut on the TS, and it's taken this long to come to the conclusion that CZ actually knew what they were doing in the first place with the original sights.

As to reliability - my TS is incredibly reliable for a dedicated racegun. Beyond initial "teething" problems and usual issues that can arise during load development, I've only had two real issues when in hard use - 2 FTEs that occurred when the extractor was very dirty. I now know to make it a point to pull and clean the extractor during any "full" cleaning. (i.e., during those times when you break the whole thing down, not for every quick clean that may happen.) I've had shooter-induced issues of course, like inadvertently hitting the mag release, but those aren't the fault of the TS.

My TS does not like to feed sharp-nosed TC bullet profiles, but has zero issues feeding rounder FP-type profiles, which seem to be more prevalent in 180+ gr weights than TCs anyway. (Factory Federal 180gr is perfect, as is the MG 180gr FMJ/CMJ.)

I'm still on the original slide stop after thousands of rounds, and I use recoil springs far lighter than stock (down to less than 10#, all with 173-180 PF ammo).

The most publicized instances of cracked barrels are from a ST IPSC, the model previous to the TS. I have not seen the barrels of the ST and TS side-by-side, so I don't know for sure, but it is possible that they have recontoured/reinforced the "lug" portion of the barrel. (There are differences in this area between old-school pre-B CZ75s and modern CZ75Bs, so it is entirely possible that the TS revisions included such a change.)

I have never read or heard of any CZ slides breaking.

I have an IPSC standard. I have upwards of 25K through it with now issues. Only replaced springs. The barrel issues that were noted were from the first batch made. When CZ started to see the issue they started using a shock buffer and that stopped the barrel cracks. With reduced power loads(165 pf) I am not sure that the buffers are even needed. I replace mine every 4-5K and the gun has been great.

Walkure covered it well. I ran a TS for a couple years in Limited and it was completely competitive. I had Angus do the bells and whistles on it but stock it is fine IF you prefer a heavier pistol. It is much heavier than a S_I. It is very accurate and has a fine trigger. Change sights if you want to, but that is always a personal choice. You will need the extended basepads to get enough rounds in the mags. Other than that you are good to go. You can option it up if you like all the way the CTS that Angus sells on his website and which is a nice, nice pistol but those are just wants, not needs.

Reliability wise, use round nose projectiles exclusively and don't load beyond 1.135. Clean the extractor and replace your slide stop when you replace your springs. Never had one fail but they are inexpensive and I like not having to worry about it. The cracked barrels I read about were on the IPSCs with north of 65,000 rounds through them.

Walkure covered it well. I ran a TS for a couple years in Limited and it was completely competitive. I had Angus do the bells and whistles on it but stock it is fine IF you prefer a heavier pistol. It is much heavier than a S_I. It is very accurate and has a fine trigger. Change sights if you want to, but that is always a personal choice. You will need the extended basepads to get enough rounds in the mags. Other than that you are good to go. You can option it up if you like all the way the CTS that Angus sells on his website and which is a nice, nice pistol but those are just wants, not needs.

Reliability wise, use round nose projectiles exclusively and don't load beyond 1.135. Clean the extractor and replace your slide stop when you replace your springs. Never had one fail but they are inexpensive and I like not having to worry about it. The cracked barrels I read about were on the IPSCs with north of 65,000 rounds through them.

Now this is where I get lost as someone who doesn't reload. When I see don't load beyond 1.135 it doesn't mean much to me really. Don't get me wrong I hope to get a reloading press at some point, but not currently in the budget so I have to ask is this something I will have to worry about with using over the counter factory ammo, or reloaded ammo from say Atlanta Arms or their competitors?

I figured the extended basepads went without saying for Limited, but that leads me to another question. I have read here that the CZ mags are not the greatest so is there an aftermarket producer of CZ TS mags, or is the mag weakness also an old issue and has since been cleared up

You will have no problems with factory ammo or AAs. (Just don't order their "long") ammo. Factory ammo is around 1.130 to 1.135 so won't be an issue. I ran AA until I got my own press. The mag tubes are fine. Just get the extended basepads for an easily reloadable 20 or drop the extra bucks if you want and get the Grams followers/springs for 21 reloadable. Can't attest to those as 20 worked fine for me.

So, I have read that these guns have a tendancy not to want to shoot hollow points. I'm considering one and have a stock of the 180 Berries and 180 MGs and would like a gun that would run them. Is there a fix if the hollow points are an issue?

I figured the extended basepads went without saying for Limited, but that leads me to another question. I have read here that the CZ mags are not the greatest so is there an aftermarket producer of CZ TS mags, or is the mag weakness also an old issue and has since been cleared up

Never had any problems with any CZ mags. (My friends running Tanfos are another story.)

Nope, not that I am aware of. Either they will run them (unlikely) or they won't.

Yep, it's either going to be a profile it likes or it's not.

Really the same with most anything: some guns like different profiles than others; that includes preference for certain OALs, because of course changing the OAL alters the profile of the entire cartridge during feeding.

The talk I've always heard of the TS not feeding JHP has always somewhat puzzled me, as the FP style FMJs used in .40 are generally pretty close to the profile of common JHPs. I would think that the TS wouldn't be terribly intolerant of JHPs because of that similarity.

Never had any problems with any CZ mags. (My friends running Tanfos are another story.)

Yeah I was really attracted to an EAA Witness Limited until I read about the nose dives and whatnot. They seem to work great if you can reload your own and find the right OAL, but for a guy like me that will end up running store bought stuff its a no go. Hence why I have come around to looking at a TS, missing a couple things I liked on the Witness Limited, but if I find I really want them I can always send off to Angus and have them added. Got a gun show comming up in my area so I am hoping that there are some TS's there I can look at and wrap my mits around. If nothing else there should be some 75's there that should give me an idea as to how a TS would feel in hand.

I have been shooting BBI TCFP type 180gr bullets that have a flat point through mine loaded out to 1.135. This is a combo that seems to work well through my TS. With 4.6 grains of SOLO 1000, it is a load that is much more accurate than I am. No feeding problems whatsoever at that length. If I load them longer, the round tries to slide up the breechface while the ejector is not clear. This is what causes the jams that so many people have.(I believe) Thus a shorter OAL is necessary. Factory length ammo is loved by mine. Mine will even eat factory JHPs. Just as long as they are not loaded long.

I shot Blazer Brass 180gr in my TS for a year with no problems then started reloading and if I recall correctly the OAL was 1.140. I was getting the ammo at Walmart for $7.57 a box then when it went to $16.00 + a box I bought a reloader.

I think that if you do some reading you will find that everyone with the Eaa Limited does a lot of mods to that gun. At the last TX Limited Henning won the match and we were talking and he said his gun was highly modified, then I said you think my STI isn't? and we both laughed.

You could go El Cheapo and get a Witness Match and then just change the main spring to a 15# and shoot that till you find a TS. It lacks the weigh and balance of the TS but it will get you on the range. I used one for a backup gun when I was shooting the TS. My match must have been the exception it ate everything and ran like a swiss watch and was accurate enough for this game.

I shot Blazer Brass 180gr in my TS for a year with no problems then started reloading and if I recall correctly the OAL was 1.140. I was getting the ammo at Walmart for $7.57 a box then when it went to $16.00 + a box I bought a reloader.

I think that if you do some reading you will find that everyone with the Eaa Limited does a lot of mods to that gun. At the last TX Limited Henning won the match and we were talking and he said his gun was highly modified, then I said you think my STI isn't? and we both laughed.

You could go El Cheapo and get a Witness Match and then just change the main spring to a 15# and shoot that till you find a TS. It lacks the weigh and balance of the TS but it will get you on the range. I used one for a backup gun when I was shooting the TS. My match must have been the exception it ate everything and ran like a swiss watch and was accurate enough for this game.

From what I have read the EAA issues arise when you go from a standard mag to a 140mm mag. At least that is the way it sounds to me /shrug. I know there are local dealers that can get a TS for me, however, no one has any CZ in stock otherwise I probably would have made the purchase already. I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket, but I really want to get one in my hands first. I would be really angry if I plunked down the cash only to discover I was not happy with it. For instance Glock makes a pretty good gun, but I can't stand the way they feel when I grip them so I won't buy one. Same kind of thing here really, I want to pick one up first to see if I would be happy with the general feel of the gun.

Yeah I was really attracted to an EAA Witness Limited until I read about the nose dives and whatnot. They seem to work great if you can reload your own and find the right OAL, but for a guy like me that will end up running store bought stuff its a no go. Hence why I have come around to looking at a TS, missing a couple things I liked on the Witness Limited, but if I find I really want them I can always send off to Angus and have them added. Got a gun show comming up in my area so I am hoping that there are some TS's there I can look at and wrap my mits around. If nothing else there should be some 75's there that should give me an idea as to how a TS would feel in hand.

I have A TS in 40 we did a grip reduction what a major difference,and it is close to how my SP01 and CZ 75 SA feel now.I reload at 1.130 with MTG 180 FMJ and have no issues,also I had some reloads from ammo bros 180 grn FMJ and had no issues with them either.Not sure if they come out to your gun shows but worth looking into until you begin to reload your own,they are reasonably priced and good quality.

Also no issues with mags,using Angus's base pads,Grams spring and follower kits and get 21 reloadable easily.

I've had the same thoughts Iggy42! Noone around me has the CZ's but I've got a P 06 that I really like and I just committed to a new CZ CTS 40. I'm hoping I like it as much as I think I will.

Gary, you will. I've drooled, er... handled them enough down at Angus' shop that he is going to start charging me rent. I just can not say how good that gun feels in the hand.

Ran about 500 rounds through mine yesterday. Not a single issue with any load I ran through it. Very accurate! Now, I just have to get used to shooting a pistol of that size! Belt and mag holders should be here today or tomorrow and first match will be next weekend. Looking very forward to playing with this thing!

So, I have read that these guns have a tendancy not to want to shoot hollow points. I'm considering one and have a stock of the 180 Berries and 180 MGs and would like a gun that would run them. Is there a fix if the hollow points are an issue?

My buddy and I both shoot MG 180 JHPs in our Tac Sports, so its fairly likely they will work in yours too

Ijust got 2 extra mags and extensions from the Custom Shop. Both run flawlessly! I've ran about 450 rounds through mine now with only one fail to feed and it was from a bad crimp on a reload. I've ran 180 & 200 lead through it, Berry's 180 plated, and the MG 180 JHPs. I'm pleasantly surprised how well this gun shoots with cast lead bullets! VERY accruate!