Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Best Rock Guitarist of all time

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of great choices on the list.

However, Vai got my vote. He is amazing, and can do things with a guitar that few, if any other people, can do...

There are a lot of innovative guitarist on the list... Hendrix, Rhodes, Van Halen, as well as amazing players like Vaughn, Hammet, Clapton... Wish I could vote for 2 or 3. :cheers:

Here is one for some of you old time rockers. Some of the best guitar I have ever heard was on an album by the "Tubes" in the 80's. That album was "The completion backwards principle" if I recall. Anyone know of it and who played that guitar?

The problem is that there's no such thing as the "best". There are so many different styles.

Are we talking raw talent, feel, technicality, etc?

With all of that said, here are a few that come to mind:

David Gilmour (The second solo in Comfortably Numb is the greatest thing I've ever heard)

Mark Knopfler

John Petrucci

Brian May

Slash.

And herein lies the rub with the question... Slash is certainly in the top 20 rock guitarists list, but he's also a very good flamenco guitarist. Beck is as good at jazz and blues as he is at rock. Clapton plays great acoustic ballads and has played with so many diverse groups (like the Jazz Crusaders) that there almost nothing he's not good at.

If it comes down to pure rock innovation, it almost has to be Hendrix, but if you broaden the scope just a bit, it's nearly impossible. These guys are all great in their own right in so many different genres that it's just tough to choose.

Edited by Graham Smith