Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California and rental car

Nate

I am traveling to LA pretty soon and will rent a car for three of us. I have not rented a car since I was 20 years old and that was in the 80's. I have never made a car payment as we save our money and buy decent used cars but this means I only carry liability insurance. I would appreciate any advice from seasoned travelers on protecting myself financially while there, what insurance or "package" should I buy, as well as any advice on who to use or not use.

I used to travel a lot and I can tell you that I always hated using Enterprise, but much of this depends on the airport you're going to. The car's were always fine but the shuttle was sloooow. In the end most of the rentals are all the same so it really comes down to pricing. I've only been to LAX a few times so I can't tell you one way or the other about which car company but regarding insurance, call your agent and speak with them about your coverage - this is your best bet and they may give you a rider of some sort or at least a recommendation of coverage options. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Like you, I've not rented a "personal" car for many years and always hated paying the rental agency for their insurance.

But the last time I rented, some drunk decided to tear the car apart in the hotel parking lot. Since I had purchased full coverage, the only got a comment from the check-in agent was "good thing you got the coverage". Never heard another thing about it.

Bill

Hertz offers a 15 percent discount to USPSA members. I recommend getting the full coverage because alot of people in Cali don't have insurance. Since you are in the area, bring your blaster and shoot a match at Norco (JVdynamics.com). JoJo, Jimmy and crew put on a great match and are great people.

Most individual automotive insurance policies do cover damage to rental cars. Thus, for most of us, it's not necessary to pay for those obscenely expensive damage waivers offered by the rental car companies.

The only way to know for sure, though, is to read the fine print of your auto policy.

.....and, if I remember correctly from my last trip to California, they sometimes do ask to see proof of insurance at the rental car counter. Even if you're clean-cut like me! :D

So it's a good idea to know exactly what insurance you already have, and be able to document it.

I travel quite a bit. I too rent from Hertz, and I buy the insurance. However, before you make any decisions, call your agent and ask them what you would/would not be covered for. Also remember your deductible. Most rental cars have damage, and it is often not checked well, so if you don't buy form the rental company, make sure to check with the fine tooth comb! I have rented several cars recently with over 25K on the clock, used to be they sold them at about 15K. Most insurance companies will write you a travel policy if you have been a good client for a while, which is less than the rental agency will charge you. Take POI with you though.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not buy insurance from the rental company. Your liability policy you have on your car covers you whether your driving your car in your hometown or driving my truck in Georgia. If you use an AMEX card, you get some additional benefits and this may also be true of some other cards.

I noticed a writer advised you to buy full coverage since lots of drivers in CA are uninsured. Rather than buy uninsured motorist coverage in CA for just the rental, buy it at home since the cost for 6 months will be about the same as what you pay at the rental counter and it will cover you at home, in CA or where ever you go.

As others have said, check with your personal insurance company and see what they offer for a rental car and make sure to have proof of insurance with you. Other than that if your personal policy does not cover it OR has a large deductible, get the insurance from the rental agency.

A friend of mine was in California several years ago and due to a "bad situation" the car ended up attached to a concrete post in a parking garage (long story...) ,and when they pulled the car loose the door stayed on the post. He had bought the insurance from the rental agency because his personal insurance had a high deductible. The only thing the rental agency did was ask if it was drivable, sent a wrecker with a new car on it, offloaded the new one, and drug the old one off. (after prying the door off of the post with a crowbar!)

When they checked the new car in at the desk later that week all they asked for was a copy of the police report number and that was it. Never heard anything further.

The moral to the story here is that having some kind of insurance on a rental car is worth every penny! :cheers:

Edited by Classic_jon