Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting to know your trigger

Victor_R

For the last 2 weeks a long with my dry fire practice I will sit and pull the trigger on my gun. I sit and watch TV and pull the trigger. No sight alingment or anything like that. Just pulling the trigger about 100 times then I will do it again but just feeling the reset. I THINK it will help with my trigger control. Am I the only one? Am I waisting my time? Thoughts.

Absolutely not. I was also taught the "bump" drill, where you pull the trigger (dry or live) first at half the pressure it would take to break, then relax, then add another 50%, then relax, then add another 50% - so with a 4lb trigger, you would go 2lbs of pressure, 3lbs, 3.5, 3.75, 3.875, etc - and repeat until the trigger breaks. Bruce (Gray) wanted us to get up to 10 before the trigger broke. It was tough but really interesting to get that kind of feedback from the trigger.

The idea was to train yourself to apply just a little bit more pressure to the trigger than it took to actually fire, with the end result being the capability of resetting the trigger as the slide cycled and prepping it for the next shot.

Edited by DonovanM

My wife can hear the clicking from upstairs when I am practicing. She really hates it when I am using the par time feature on my shot timer. I even have a bunch of padding on the speaker but her freakishly good ears are always listening.

My wife can hear the clicking from upstairs when I am practicing. She really hates it when I am using the par time feature on my shot timer. I even have a bunch of padding on the speaker but her freakishly good ears are always listening.

I've got the Surefire shot timer app on my iPhone. The par timer on it works great, it has a random start feature and I can use a pair of headphones with it (!). That coupled with a foam earplug between the firing pin and the hammer makes for nice and quiet dry firing sessions for me.

Well I guess it's working some what. I went to Renton Fish & Game in WA to shoot there IDPA match. I came in as ESP DC and for the first time ever 1st overall out of 82 shooters. Because of Rentons new video policy I could only record 4 out of the 6 stages. Thanks for watching.

For the last 2 weeks a long with my dry fire practice I will sit and pull the trigger on my gun. I sit and watch TV and pull the trigger. No sight alingment or anything like that. Just pulling the trigger about 100 times then I will do it again but just feeling the reset. I THINK it will help with my trigger control. Am I the only one? Am I waisting my time?.

No, that's good stuff. And old Bullseye shooter taught me that. While you are watching TV, just hold your pistol with one hand and feel the trigger until the hammer drops.

be

For the last 2 weeks a long with my dry fire practice I will sit and pull the trigger on my gun. I sit and watch TV and pull the trigger. No sight alingment or anything like that. Just pulling the trigger about 100 times then I will do it again but just feeling the reset. I THINK it will help with my trigger control. Am I the only one? Am I waisting my time?.

No, that's good stuff. And old Bullseye shooter taught me that. While you are watching TV, just hold your pistol with one hand and feel the trigger until the hammer drops.

be

Yeah a guy who used to be on a SWAT team back in the day when they were issued revolvers taught me the same thing. At least you have a reason to be watching the TV.

How can one find this break point on a Glock? Sorry, newb question.... :unsure:

Hold the trigger down, cycle the slide, release until engagement, pull until break, repeat. I would caution folks that you need to temper this sort of practice with active dryfire watching the sights; you can train in a sideways push or pull on the trigger doing it blindly.

H.

Hold the trigger down, cycle the slide, release until engagement, pull until break, repeat. I would caution folks that you need to temper this sort of practice with active dryfire watching the sights; you can train in a sideways push or pull on the trigger doing it blindly.

H.

Nice add.

be

H.

Thanks for the info! :cheers:

H.

Nice. Thanks for the pointer. So... If I understand. Trigger stays engaged until reset, basically taking all the pretravel outta of the process?

H.

Nice. Thanks for the pointer. So... If I understand. Trigger stays engaged until reset, basically taking all the pretravel outta of the process?

Correct. Keep in mind this is only one method and that many pros slap the trigger, but at the very least it will train the feeling of the break for when you need a very accurate shot.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice here! I pull the trigger alot while watching TV etc but still go through a safety routine (that never changes) before getting the gun out around the house. When I was a beginning shooter (still beginning shooter to USPSA, but not in general), it used to confuse me that it should "suprise" you when the trigger breaks. I have always thought the word "suprise" was inadaquate since it almost IMPLIES a flinch. When you trigger your gun enough, you will still not be able to predict exactly when the trigger breaks but you should know generally how much pressure is required to break the shot (another post on this with some good input from GMan). Trigger familiarity will help you out tremendously so you're not over or under pulling, thus reducing unnecessary movement on your gun.

This concept is very hard to explain...

The dry firing as you describe is very beneficial as others have said. A short drill that I try to do the day before or the day of a match is to stand 3 to 7 yards (pick your own distance)from a paper target and try to shot 10 rounds through one hole. Take your time and concentrate on a proper trigger press and then slowly reset after each round. This drill will let you know if you are not using proper technique and will help recognize what is correct form.

The dry firing as you describe is very beneficial as others have said. A short drill that I try to do the day before or the day of a match is to stand 3 to 7 yards (pick your own distance)from a paper target and try to shot 10 rounds through one hole. Take your time and concentrate on a proper trigger press and then slowly reset after each round. This drill will let you know if you are not using proper technique and will help recognize what is correct form.

That is an excellent drill. A bit more on that... start at the distance you can shoot 6 or 10 rounds through one hole. Then move back one yard at at time, until you can shoot a 6 shot group at 15 yards with "no fliers."

be