Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do I do first?

Background: I just started shooting handguns and reloading late last year. It's been more fun than I could have imagined. I would like to participate in some IDPA matches. So, I have purchased a Glock 34 (love it!) and Brian's book. A buddy, over the web, has been giving me some pointers with stance, grip, and a lot more. Unfortunately I don't have anyone locally to instruct me. I live in Idaho, and since it's winter now, I've been shooting indoors. I'm accurate with the slow firing and I haven't really tried any fast firing. Obviously, I also haven't practiced any shooting on the move. I do notice that I blink after the shot. I can almost always hit what I was aiming at, but I still can't get over blinking. I wear ear plugs and muffs. I've been practicing my grip, stance, and dry fires each day. I try to watch the front sight the whole time, but man, everything is happening so fast plus the whole blinking thing. I have videoed myself a few times and that has really helped to show me where I can improve my stance and such.

So, I guess I'm confused as to what exactly I should be doing or what a general progression would be. Do I just keep trying to follow the front sight the whole time through the gun cycle? I'm not even sure I know what I should be doing a dry fire drill? I currently pick a spot on the wall, aim at it and practice squeezing the trigger while I focus on keeping the sight on said spot.

I realize that a class would help, but which one? I'm willing to travel. I have looked at the Tulsa Shooting Academy and a few others. If I'm going to a class, I want to go to the one that will teach me the correct techniques.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Where do you live? Someone may be in your area, that would show you some things.

#1 BE SAFE, practice safe gun handling procedures ALWAYS.

For beginning dryfire practice, find some reading/video on proper stance, grip technique, and draw. Some things I found useful when I started were the "Pro-tips" from shooting usa's website. Real pros giving basic information on the fundamentals.

Get a holster, put a target on the wall (safe direction) triple check unloaded, no ammo in room/area, focus on target, draw, aim (change focus to front sight only) and press until "click". Repeat, as smoothly as possible for at least 1,000 draws. Then start other things, like transitions to the next target, or relaods.

Master the fundamentals, everything else is based on that!!!

By no means am I any kind of expert, but for me it was vidoes (Matt Burkett series), books, this forum, searching online for sites like Saul's video tips, etc. There's not a topic out there that hasn't been covered in this forum or some other resource members here can point you to. Also check out youtube. There's a lot of information around it's just a matter of grabbing it out of the air. :cheers:

Admittedly I still have a ways to go myself, but what I have found can really make a difference is to RELAX. There is a sub-forum devoted to it called Zen. The more relaxed and in your zone you are the better you will be at hitting what you want.

Part of getting into your zone is proper grip and stance. Your stance and grip will not be the same as mine, we are different people. Proper grip and stance in simple terms will have you gripping in a manner that is neutral and very stable, standing in such a way that you are neutral and VERY stable. Once you have achieved this stable platform you can start working on transitioning to multiple targets by teaching your body to bend, flex, twist and move your feet so that the upper body brings the gun around to the next target.

It is also learning the ability to get back into that zone when you are forced out of it due to course design. It is impossible to remain in that zone while transitioning from shots at chest height to ones through a port 8" off the ground and then back to chest height again. With practice you will hopefully learn to get back into the zone naturally.

Why is it so difficult to stay in this zone? Two words: PAIN and SURPRISE. Anything that causes you pain can throw you off, anything that surprises you can throw you off. You just need to learn how to blow it off and get back into the zone. Something we sometimes succeed at, but many more times fail at. Or as they also say "Easier said, than done".

As asked before, where do you live? If you are close to Lewiston, I would suggest Practical Edge in Kennewick Washington. They have some very good beginning level classes that will not break the bank. They work on exactly what you are talking about.

I have shot for quite a while and got a lot out of their classes.

WG

I went to a four day defensive handgun class at Front Sight in Nevada. It was a great learning experience for me. They have a booklet on dry firing you can purchase from their website. The booklet has lots of pictures. It walks you thru the grip, stance draw, holstering, etc.

Later in the year, I took my wife to the 2 day Defensive handgun course. She went reluctantly, and came home excited.

Front Sight training book.

Grip, stance, and trigger control are fundemental. Without these you will NEVER become the best shooter possible. But you also gotta beat that flinch. One thing I learned from the Burkett videos that helped was twofold: First, physically force your eyes open as you shoot, like trying to keep your eyes open while walking into your shower stream, and also getting your gun on a close target with a mag full of ammo, and while forcing your eyes open pull the trigger as fast as possible...eventually around shot 4-5 your rate of fire will outrun the flinching and you will be able to see what the gun actually looks like during recoil...then at least you know what your looking for

Take all the above with a grain of salt...just a six month B class shooter

Bets

Hi Sharpie! South East Idaho is a geat place to be located if you are looking to shoot! The Idaho shooters are among the finest anywhere. There are plenty of Masters and Grand Masters shooting at the local clubs who can show you the ropes.

Just go to the IDPA and USPSA websites and use the club finder features. (Most of the silly IDPA vs. USPSA crap you hear about is just that, silly crap, spread by people who talk a lot more than they shoot.) Many of us, myself included, are very content to whole heartedly support both organizations with membership dues.

I don't like to post people's real names on the forum. If you send me a private message I can show you who to contact over there.

There is something some people call training, and then there is quality training, and then there is coaching.

Burkett's videos are very good and they are the closest replacement to direct training, and they are probably better than a large percentage of live classes from some trainers. I have no doubt that you have a quality trainer in your area, the problem is finding them. There are probably 100 "trainers" in the Denver area, most of whom would have a hard time making it through an IDPA match.

Write out a plan and some goals and then interview some trainers. When you have it pared down to a few, then you will have to choose. Quality instruction on the basic skills up front is very important if you want to be an accomplished shooter down the road.

Background: I just started shooting handguns and reloading late last year. It's been more fun than I could have imagined. I would like to participate in some IDPA matches. So, I have purchased a Glock 34 (love it!) and Brian's book. A buddy, over the web, has been giving me some pointers with stance, grip, and a lot more. Unfortunately I don't have anyone locally to instruct me. I live in Idaho, and since it's winter now, I've been shooting indoors. I'm accurate with the slow firing and I haven't really tried any fast firing. Obviously, I also haven't practiced any shooting on the move. I do notice that I blink after the shot. I can almost always hit what I was aiming at, but I still can't get over blinking. I wear ear plugs and muffs. I've been practicing my grip, stance, and dry fires each day. I try to watch the front sight the whole time, but man, everything is happening so fast plus the whole blinking thing. I have videoed myself a few times and that has really helped to show me where I can improve my stance and such.

So, I guess I'm confused as to what exactly I should be doing or what a general progression would be. Do I just keep trying to follow the front sight the whole time through the gun cycle? I'm not even sure I know what I should be doing a dry fire drill? I currently pick a spot on the wall, aim at it and practice squeezing the trigger while I focus on keeping the sight on said spot.

I realize that a class would help, but which one? I'm willing to travel. I have looked at the Tulsa Shooting Academy and a few others. If I'm going to a class, I want to go to the one that will teach me the correct techniques.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.

to stop the blinking, do some bill drills, shoot six shots as fast as you can see the sights at a 7-10yd target there will be a point there where you will stop blinking and see the sights lift from the target, this is what you need to see all the time.

You must walk before you can run. Reading Brian's book is good reading in the offseason. Work on dry fire drills, with a timer, and try to get faster at your draws and reloads. Work on transitions from target to target. Always be safe when doing all of this!!!

Shoot as many scenarios in your indoor range as possible, and learn as much as you can, watch some of the better shooters out there, and see what they did, that you didn't do. right now you need to be a sponge, and soak up as much information as you can. This website is a great way to learn some of the basics as well as some of the more intricate and technical aspects of the game. Always keep and open mind. Its sounds to me like you are wanting to get better, so it shall happen, but it takes work! Anything that is worth having in life takes work and you must understand that going in, if you are not willing to do the work than all of this is just mute.

Good Luck!

Sean

All good advice. Let's take the Bill Drill. This is a very good exercise and it will help with a variety of skills, not blinking being one. A variation of the drill, just for blinking/flinch control is as follows. Pick any safe spot to fire your weapon, like a berm. Distance / target doesn't really matter. I prefer as close to berm as I can be while being safe.

Now while pointed at berm and ready to fire, shift all of your attention to your face. Keep your attention on the muscles of your face and especially around your eyes. Fire your weapon 6 times rapidly while doing this. Through this little exercise you can train yourself out of blinking/flinching. You should also look at the front sight. With time and practice it will slow down in your mind.

There are rules for a real Bill Drill. The real drill is performed at 7 yards and from a surrender position. All six rounds in the "A" zone. Every shot. This constitutes a Bill Drill. Start slow and remember that it's not a Bill Drill if any shot is outside the "A" zone. As you progress a d gain skills this drill will teach you tons a out grip, stance, blinking etc.

It sounds like you want to learn and are motivated! Learn all you can here and from dry fire/live fire drills, but IF you have solid, safe gun handling skills, shoot the IDPA/USPSA matches locally! that will keep you motivated and interested and give you some free instruction since you can quietly watch the better shooters run the course and learn from them. If you start shooting the matches, though, be careful not to rush through them and solidify any bad habits. Take the stage slow and concentrate on one shot, one hit, watching the front sight, keeping your eyes open, one foot in front of the other, solid stance and grip, and moving your hips for transitions to keep your chest and arms in proper form....bending your knees helps you do this.

+1 for formal training, though...I wish I could offer a good recommendation. I've heard good things about front sight.

Thanks for the help so far. GH, I did grad school in Lincoln. Loved Nebraska, always will love my Huskers! Are there any IDPA classes out in Nebraska?

Cool. I did undergrad at UNL and enjoyed it. No IDPA classes in the Omaha area anymore - they shut down the indoor shoots about a year ago. There may be some out west but i'm not sure. Lots of good GSSF, USPSA, Steel, etc. in the area; IDPA just didn't catch on from what I understand.