Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An alert RO

SoonerPast

One our venerable forum moderators/ Don't tell anyone, but IAMA45DV8 / was paying attention and saved me from damaging my pistol. A real live squib, left the bullet about half way down the barrel. The slide did not cycle, I racked the slide. Before I made the mistake of pressing the trigger again, "STOP". Another squad member had a rod handy and sure enough, something was still in the barrel. Saved me a pretty big pain, I am sure. Thank you.

When you've ROed for a while, and he has been around since dirt :D, you hear that dreadful POP instead of a BANG and you instinctively yell stop. I would rather give a reshoot for the bullet leaving the barrel than to have pick up pieces of gun or shooter.

When you've ROed for a while, and he has been around since dirt :D, you hear that dreadful POP instead of a BANG and you instinctively yell stop. I would rather give a reshoot for the bullet leaving the barrel than to have pick up pieces of gun or shooter.

I had one at the Indiana match last year. The guy had a really nice SV Infinity, too.

I did yell stop, but not before the gasps from his squad, who heard the dreaded pop as well.

He was very thankful. I was very thankful that I caught it in time to stop him.

Glad to be of service, Mike!

==============

A CRO at a Level II a couple years ago later explained to me why he didn't say STOP when I had a squib.

He said that when I've been doing this longer I would come to learn that if the slide closes fully and the gun returns to battery, there's really no need to stop the shooter because a squib will never push a bullet far enough down the barrel to allow the next round to fully chamber. As long as the slide closes completely, it's OK to pull the trigger because a primer alone just doesn't have enough push to move a bullet that far down the bore.

Yes, he did! :surprise: