Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 KaBoom!

feederic

I called glock this morning and they told me to ship it on in! I'm not sure if I will get a replacement under warranty or not, but the return directions had a price list and a replacement frame is $150. That is still MUCH cheaper than buying a new gun :)

You GOT to love that!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you're OK!

I'm just curious - it sounds like you were shooting a minor PF Load. Did you pull apart any of the remaining ammo to see if powder charge may have been higher than you expected?

Warning - speculation ahead: I'm absolutely no expert here, but it looks like your load may be under Hodgon's recommendations. I wonder if you were getting leading from too slowly moving a hard lead bullet. (Gas cutting around the bullet before it engages the rifling correctly and/or completely.) If that's the case, then there's your leading problem, which led to an overpressure situation, which led to the failed case... Just a (possibly bad) hypothesis.

Edited by toddje

I average about 169 PF with these loads in my lwd and stock barrel. It might be a bad powder selection on my part, though in my lwd barrel I have about 9k down the pipe with minimum cleaning and it looks spotless. The two barrels DO look completely different so I will certainly consider it! Either way I'm going plates now, I'm ordering up some berry's today :)

I have some experience with cast bullets in a G35. Your barrel photo shows a lot of leading just in front of the chamber. This will drive pressure up in the case right at the moment of detonation. The bullet is trying to get out of the case while at the same time the lead in the barrel is making it difficult for the bullet to enter. This is a perfect condition for high pressures and a case head rupture.

The .40 cal. is a high pressure round. If you use fast burning powders to make major the pressures are even higher. When I tried using fast burning powders with cast bullets (Bullseye or Titegroup)--the base of the cast bullet was actually obturating from the pressures. The buldged base of the cast bullet would get shaved off as it entered the rifling. I could only go 1 or two stages before I had to wire brush the lead out of the barrel. I couldn't even get a chambered round out of the gun after a couple of stages. Slower burning powders kind of push the bullet out of the case as opposed to fast powders which ram the bullet out of the case. Slower powders are not as efficient but the gun will lead less due to smaller amounts of bullet base expansion. Once I switched to Unique I was able to shoot entire matches without leading. I'm sure powders such as Power Pistol, etc. could yield similar results. Eventually my lead count grew higher from the lead in the smoke and with all of the cleaning hassles I switched to plated bullets.

I tried lead in my G-35 just to see.... after shooting about 5 rounds I looked at the barrel, it was already leading badly - it was obviously not going to work. Started buying moly coated from BBI, about 5000 rounds through, work great, no issues. For the price ($90 / 1k 180gr., shipping included - discount for 2500) I can't see myself fooling with bare lead again.

I'm using Clays powder by the way

Edited by C.W.

Might want to reconsider Lead and Universal. I watched the video and it looks like you're smoking quite a bit.

I tried lead in my G-35 just to see.... after shooting about 5 rounds I looked at the barrel, it was already leading badly - it was obviously not going to work. Started buying moly coated from BBI, about 5000 rounds through, work great, no issues. For the price ($90 / 1k 180gr., shipping included - discount for 2500) I can't see myself fooling with bare lead again.

I'm using Clays powder by the way

I'm pretty done with lead altogether. I've been trying several combo's of lead and powder to try and find something that doesn't smoke that much without luck. I will be shooting plated from here on out.

A buddy got his 17 replaced for $43 after an admitted reloading mistake kb, just by calling glock.

Hopefully I get off that cheap. How recent was this?

Are these being replaced in Smyrna GA or Overseas? Does anyone know...just curious.

The directions had me shipping the firearm to Smyrna, I am assuming the replacement is actually taking place there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

In July I had teh same kind of complete case head seperation in a new (300 rounds) 35. The round was a new-old stock Federal 230 grain HP, case head stamped FC. Yeah, I Know what I've read on this site about .40 FC stamped cases, but this was not a reload. I also lost the mag out the bottom, and the extractor went to who knows where. There did not appear to be anyu other damage, and Smyrna replaced all the "small" parts. I still have the stock barrel and shoot 185 grain Precision Moly bullets over 5.0 grains of WSF without any signs of leading.

• 4 weeks later...
Your case is one reason why I prefer an all metal gun over a plastic one. A little more protection.
I have personally witnessed three of these "cases". One in a Springer 1911 one in a STI 2011 and myown G35. I lost the slide stop lever. The other two were sent the local ER to have foreign material removedfrom their hands and several stitches. Could be anecdotal...I'm thinking not.Jim

Yup, the polymer frame is definitely an asset with those kinds of case failures. The glock barrel design is also ideal for catastrophic failures since the weakpoints are on the sides of the chamber. Blasts are directed out to the sides rather than down towards your hand. The 1911 barrel does not have a designed-in weakpoint so the point where the chamber splits can be random.Keep us posted on what glock says. Also, you shooting Pala this Sat?

I had a similar event with my 23. I feel very lucky. All I got were a few cuts and burns, some bruising and a little nerve damage. I still haven't looked into getting the gun fixed. Mag release, slide release, one mag and the trigger are toast. The frame looks ok except for a little piece blown out the side. Most of the gas and debris blew out the bottom with the mag.

I just received this reply from Glock this morning on my issue... :cheers:

I love these guys!! Cracked frame from a case failure explosion in my G21... :surprise:

Hi Kent,

Ship that gun overnight (and it needs to be overnight) by Fedex to the attention of Scotty Banks, GSSF/GP, 6000 Highlands Pkwy, Smyrna GA 30082. Send a check for $43 along with it payable to GLOCK, Inc. and he will take care of it with our warranty department. Scotty was the other GSSF Rangemaster that came to the Richmond match with me last year. We both enjoyed that wine!

I love these guys!! Cracked frame from a case failure explosion in my G21... :surprise:

Hi Kent,

Ship that gun overnight (and it needs to be overnight) by Fedex to the attention of Scotty Banks, GSSF/GP, 6000 Highlands Pkwy, Smyrna GA 30082. Send a check for $43 along with it payable to GLOCK, Inc. and he will take care of it with our warranty department. Scotty was the other GSSF Rangemaster that came to the Richmond match with me last year. We both enjoyed that wine!

I received basically the same response today from Fred. The bad news he told me is turnaround time is 6 to8 weeks from the day the receive the fire arm.

Edited by shadetree

Hi Kent,

I received basically the same response today from Fred. The bad news he told me is turnaround time is 6 to8 weeks from the day the receive the fire arm.

Ouch! Let's hope they over deliver on the time frame... :blink:

I have a G34 I use in Production and a G35 I use in Limited. I have KKM barrels in both guns and I have used lead bullets in both guns for a long time without any problems. I used lead in the factory barrels of both guns prior to buying the KKM barrels, but I am a fanatic about clean guns. I even used lead bullets in my duty G22 at my annual requalification 2 years ago without any problems. So, why is it that some guns just seem to "lead up" all of sudden? Is it the powder load itself? My loads are fairly conservative (usually with Titegroup).

I personally don't fool around with lead in my glock but know a few that do and one major thing they look for is harder lead. The softer stuff will lead the barrel badly which as pointed out causes higher pressures. I think pretty much anyone who gets off for under the full cost of a replacment frame owes glock a huge thankyou as most other manufacturers won't give an inch when the weapon fails due to reloads and failing to follow the factory recommendations. Good luck to you in getting your pistol back quickly and I'm. Glad your ok sir.

I have always used either plated or fmj bullets in my glocks. The failure was not caused by leadding. It looks to me like the failure was caused by a combination of an improper crimp (witch allowed the bullet to move back into the case)and old brass.. So far I have been very happy with the way glock has treated me. I was surprised at how little the are charging to repair my gun. The cost of shipping and the 6 to 8 week wait I could do with out but so far glock has been great to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Glock yesterday and paid $40 for an out of warranty frame replacement, not bad!

I shipped my lwd barrel out with some lead reloads to get the chamber cut. I'll be shooting the rest if my lead with my lwd then switching to plated or fmj.

I am amazed and pleased that Glock is taking care of this. However I am curious why did you decide to shoot lead through the factory barrel when you 1. had a barrel for that type of bullet and 2. you knew better than to shoot lead through the factory barrel. I think you even tried to make it sound like it was a Glock problem by not having a fully supported chamber. I am just amazed when people knowingly do things that can be harmful to them and their weapons. I hope this searves as a lesson to others that make the same decision.

For anyone wondering why you dont shoot lead through a Glock, it is because Glock doesn't use tradional lands and grooves in their barrels. There is no where for the leading to go in a Glock barrel. That is why it causes excess chamber pressure.