Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 KaBoom!

feederic

13 weeks in smyrna. Looks like it will cost me a little less than $230 to get my model 23 repaired. I don't have the paper work yet but this will include a new frame, all the small parts in the frame(springs, trigger assembly, mag release), a new barrel and I decided to replace the old trijicon night sight with a new set. With the exception of the amount of time it took I have no complaints.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

To address the question of lead hardness. Lead bullets are made in either of two processes, swaging or casting. In swaging, the lead is cold-formed in dies into the final bullet shape = soft lead used. In casting, the lead (almost always an alloy) is heated molten and poured into a mould. Depending on the alloy and to some degree on the process, the bullet may be of varying degrees of hardness. Back in my casting days (long since departed) I had access to linotype metal, which produces a very hard bullet. Never had any leading issues, unless I was dumb enough to start pushing .357 Magnums up over 1200 fps.

NB: None of the preceding is meant to endorse the use of lead bullets in Glocks. They say not to use them in the standard Glock polygonal barrel, and with good reason. Me, I no longer cast bullets and haven't for 20 years, but that's because I finally learned enough about the long-term effects of heavy metals like lead on the human body, and got out of that particular pastime. Now I just shoot Rainier plated......

• 1 month later...

Im glad i stop loading my lead and moly bullets now. since most of my job involves working on a computer i may be skrewed for awhile. I used Laser Cast bullets and black bullets and never saw any major leading after 300 rounds. maybe the fact that i was using such a hard bullet and shooting minor helped.