Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there such thing as an ideal IDPA gun?

On The Edge

Is there an ideal gun for IDPA?  I've tried a few and have stuck w/ my USP 9.  It's quick, accurate, reliable & I'm very comfy w/ it.  

I as because I've seen ALOT of Glocks, Berettas, and a few 1911's but very few HK's & Sigs and was just wondering do these guns have attributes that make them better suited for this type of competition?

Well, CDP is pretty much 1911 only.

In SSP, people like Glocks because of the same trigger every shot, and it can be made pretty light.  People like Berettas because Ernest Langdon uses one.  

I've seen HKs and Sigs at my local IDPA matches, with Glocks and 1911s the dominant platform.  

I don't think there's anything really special about Glocks except for the constant trigger, and their ubiquity.  

I've been thinking of getting a CZ 75 for SSP, because I don't care for Glock triggers (been a while since I tried one, though...and never have tried a tweaked one).  And just to be different.  

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

• 2 weeks later...

There is an ideal ESP gun.  That would be a 1911 chambered in 40 with 9 rounds in the mag.  9+1 is the best setup when you shoot till slide lock because it allows you to finish the 2 shots on the target before slide lock.

reason you don't see as many HK's and SIG's is simple.. they don't put anywhere NEAR the marketing money into IDPA as other companies ( glock, beretta) do.

hk USP's rock, you like it, it likes you stick with it!!! i still regret getting rid of my USP 40. but never shot it, not much use for it.

Depending on what class you are shooting in there are guns that have a mechnical advantage.

For CDP the 1911 has the best trigger, and the capacity is right.

For SSP the Glocks seem to be the best. They have a consistent trigger pull (which can be made very nice), they have the right capacity, they are light and fast, and they can be made very accurate.

For ESP your best bet is probably a 1911 in either 9mm, 38 Super, or 40 S&W. They all hold 9 plus 1, great trigger, good accuracy, and very light recoil. I prefer the 38 Super but I know successful shooters using all 3 calibers. There might be a small scoring advantage in using the larger diameter 40 S&W bullet

In SSR there seems to be 2 camps. There are the guys who shoot the FMC guns (625 or 610) and the guys who use a "L" or "K" frame gun and speedloaders. I prefer the lighter "K" frame gun and speedloaders. I use a Model 66 with Safariland speedloaders when I shoot SSR. I don't like the weight of the "N" frame, and find that I am only a tenth ot two slower on the reload with the speed loaders which I more then make up for with the lighter gun.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on lots of factors.  For those of us who trained under Cooper, the only gun is a 1911 in .45.  If you don't like shooting CDP build a 1911 in 9mm and shoot ESP.  There are lots of good Glock shooters, but the thing which has kept the 1911 around since the early part of the century is the ability to have a great trigger, something the Glock will never have.  Also, you cannot convince me that the polymer frame doesn't torque  differently shot to shot with a Glock, especially in the more potent calibers like the .45 and the 40.  this "Old Dog" can't get used to that loooong trigger on the glock.  I put 7500 rounds through a 17 trying to learn the trigger and couldn't get it.  First shot was an A and the second was almost surely a B or C.  Shooting the same drill with my 1911 was two A's, almost always.

However, that is why there is chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, if you don't like one you can get another.  

Just like Open vs Limited.

• 2 weeks later...

The 945 just works, I think the spherical bushing lends itself to reducing recoil and it fits my hand better than most 1911's. The 945 is a really trick gun for the price, I paid $1225.00 and tax for mine, a friend of mine runs a gun shop, and I'd put it up against any gun. I've fired around 15,000 rounds through mine and I've never had a jam, I shot somewhere around 400 rounds with a sticking ejector, they are spring loaded, and it ran flawlessly. I don't think there is a better gun on the market for twice the price.

I like my USP 9.  But I just bought the new Springfield 1911 in a 9 and my time dropped 4-5 seconds right away.  The added weight helped.  I then started playing with the trigger and added the magwell and with practice, my times continue to drop.  Not sure if that is the practice or the gun.  I still like my USP and probably won't sell it.  If I do, I have my eye on a para 1640 for SSP and IPSC.

Have fun with you H&K.  The reason you don't see them is marketing and cost, not accuracy.

And a horrendous stock DA trigger on the HK.

Great gun if it fits your hand, but that DA trigger is rough. It's almost like it's intended as a cocked and locked, and the DA is offered as a last ditch operating mode.

I've never tried a tuned one, but there's plenty of room for improvement.

SA

I think a down loaded .40 works just fine in ESP.  The shooting in the IDPA just isn't fast enough for the difference between 9mm/38 stupid v .40 to matter.

CDP it has to be a heavy weight .45.  The SW 945 is a big heavy gun. No wonder it does so well.  Need to make ten round mags for it.

SSP I feel needs a fast 9mm.  Heavy weight helps too.  Low barrel bore axis and fast trigger are the key.

Todd Jarrett used a Para P16-40 LDA in production at the FGN. Todd had a little seminar after the match and let a few check out the trigger. 1.5lb and very smooth which is better than my 2.5lb Glock trigger. Being a fan of 1911 style I think my next purchase might just be the P16-40 LDA to compliment my Limited P16-40 I shoot in limited division and ESP.

I honestly feel the para LDA is a bit of a false hood, its not double action in a true sence, the way the LDA works is when you rack the slide, the mainspring is locked down hence the reason you don't have double strike capablity. seriously a 1.5# trigger competing with guns that most have an 8+ pound trigger on the first shot. ( Beretta, S&W, and a lot of others)

John, if in ESP there is not differenc in 9mm and 40, then why in SSP??? and also, that a new round the 38 stupid???

Smoney,

IMHO a down loaded .40 in the 1911 platform is almost the same recoil wise and slide speed as the 9mm and 38 super.

I've noticed that the down loaded .40 has a bigger recoil difference in SSP type guns than 9mm and others.  SSP guns are by nature of their trigger already slower.

The 38 stupid was a joke, I'm suprised you didn't get it as such.

I don't care if God himself works on that glock trigger, the best Glock trigger isn't as good as a mediocre 1911 trigger.

Well....maybe.  I don't know that you can win many 50y bulls-eye competitions with the Glock...then again, that kind of thing has been said of any new shooting platform.  Sure is hard to switch from the tried and true.