Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand shotty reloads

Kyle O

Kyle,

I was running some loading practice this morning and I remebered a key part of my routine that I don't see you doing. After every load I practice dropping one on the lifter and racking the bolt to load the chamber. We see a lot of empty chamber starts in 3 gun so you might as well get it practiced up since its right there.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle,

I was running some loading practice this morning and I remebered a key part of my routine that I don't see you doing. After every load I practice dropping one on the lifter and racking the bolt to load the chamber. We see a lot of empty chamber starts in 3 gun so you might as well get it practiced up since its right there.

My FN has no way (that I know of) to put one on the lifter, but a quick rack of the bolt handle would load the "shotty" up quickly.

I mostly don't do it because I'm using live rounds, and am in the house, (already discounting one safety rule) just one little ooopsie, and I'd have a "shotty" hole in my wall.

Sorry, had too :roflol:

Kyle,

My FN has no way (that I know of) to put one on the lifter, but a quick rack of the bolt handle would load the "shotty" up quickly.

I mostly don't do it because I'm using live rounds, and am in the house, (already discounting one safety rule) just one little ooopsie, and I'd have a "shotty" hole in my wall.

Dude!!! Before you get the overpriced ugh I mean top shelf Salient order yourself two boxes of Fiocchi dummy rounds. I always practiced dumping a round out of the tube into the lifter by pulling the trigger and then racking the bolt Miller style to load the gun. I love empty chamber starts because it puts me 1-2 seconds ahead of the pack:)

Edited by jtischauser

Good stuff here!

Are any of you going to give a clinic at the AR15.COM RockCastle 3 Gun Match, or perhaps a guest appearance on the upcoming Novekse Shooting Team DVD?

Seriously.....I appreciate everyone sharing their experience/technique here. I got to remember to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet. This is good stuff here!

Forget loading a shotgun. I want to learn from the Master Gort how to make beer.

Wouldn't that be "Master Wort"?

Kyle,

Dude!!! Before you get the overpriced ugh I mean top shelf Salient order yourself two boxes of Fiocchi dummy rounds. I always practiced dumping a round out of the tube into the lifter by pulling the trigger and then racking the bolt Miller style to load the gun. I love empty chamber starts because it puts me 1-2 seconds ahead of the pack:)

Kyle,

Listen to "Scooter" or is that "Rascal"? Get some proper dummy rounds! I heard a rumor concerning a shooter that had a problem at a match, and took his shotgun home, and later put a hole through a wall. Turns out the extractor broke, and no one noticed the shell in the chamber.

Guess I will get me some of those shotty dummy shellys (sorry, really sorry), but for those of you concerned with my safety, this is what I do.

I only bring 16 shells with me and the gun for practice (exactly what fills 4 4round caddies), I have only been practicing the "loading" part lately, so until I get that mastered errr better, I have had no reason to rack one into the chamber. That'll be in a few weeks when I'm super comfortable with the new technique. (and the dummies get here) BTW, what's a good source for the fiochi rounds?

Guess I will get me some of those shotty dummy shellys (sorry, really sorry), but for those of you concerned with my safety, this is what I do.

I only bring 16 shells with me and the gun for practice (exactly what fills 4 4round caddies), I have only been practicing the "loading" part lately, so until I get that mastered errr better, I have had no reason to rack one into the chamber. That'll be in a few weeks when I'm super comfortable with the new technique. (and the dummies get here) BTW, what's a good source for the fiochi rounds?

I've been using dummys from Brownells. Mine are in a Remington box. Living in Mass. anyone selling ammo online is so paranoid, that most won't even sell fake "ammo' to us.

Are the dummy shells the same/about the same weight as a live shell?

If so, might have to get some.

I can always load some shot (no powder) into a fired shell leaving the fired primer in it to practice with. But I like the idea of a dedicated dummy round. Less chance of confusing it with a live round.

Well I can say I struggled with my FN SLP. I'm not a weakling, but the weight of the FN made it hard to load weak hand so I pretty much gave up before I started. I also never did any mods to my lifter or loading port. My thumb would be pretty chewed up trying to weak hand load. Kyle, your work, achievement and documentation is impressive!

Well I tried it for the first time tonight with my "over priced" Salient Benelli and WOWWWW!

First of the all the gun is light an points more naturally for me than my FN. After trying some weak hand reload a few times, I no longer felt like a complete retard. The gun is EASY to hold on the shoulder and with about three or four practice runs, I could shoot, reload 8 and shoot again in just under 10 seconds.....and this is just the first time I have tried this!

I know I'll never break the 5 second par time that Tyler talked about, but I REALLY like this gun!

I was a little worried about spending this kind of cash on a gun that I never got to handle based on some internet recommendations (although they were from trustworthy folk). I really didn't want to be unhappy with my new shotgun and have to convince myself that I had to because I spent so much money on it.

I am very happy to pay what I did for this shotgun. However, I am sure than many of you know quality gunsmiths who do great work and can make a shotgun run like this one as well.

Oh yeah....PLEASE get the dummy rounds!

Edited by DMAC

That Salient is sweet dont think twice about why you bought it. If you dont have KurtM next door like we do here in OKC you gotta hey something reliable and Benny hill and salient ate the only other options.

If you are unloading those 8 rounds by pushing the little shell release that sucks! Yet another great kurtM tip was to hold in the silver shell release button and just keep racking the bolt which loads the shells then dumps them in my cardboard practice box. I can load 8 and unload 8 in under 15 seconds and I'm ready again.

Get some Dummies!!!

Edited by jtischauser

If you are unloading those 8 rounds by pushing the little shell release that sucks! Yet another great kurtM tip was to hold in the silver shell release button and just keep tacking the bolt which loads the sheiks then dumps them in my cardboard practice box. I can load 8 and unload 8 in under 15 seconds and I'm ready again.

Get some Dummies!!!

Thanks for the info. I figured this out pretty quickly while practicing. It's important for me to practice this, because my poor stage planning/shooting invariably leaves me with a round or two in the mag.

I purchased the dummies (I think from Brownells about a year ago). I think my loads I shoot will be even a little more slick!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhh and the infection spreads! In 2003 no one in Europe had ever even seen weakhand loading, and now it is quite common in IPSC action shotgun evens over there. It has taken Americans a bit longer but hey it is spreading. :roflol::devil:

Terni 2003, was the year of enlightenment :lol: hope your well amigo.

I tend to drop the muzzle down slightly in order to shorten the distance from my belt to the port for the first shell, but still keep the gun shouldered to save time, then as I load the last rounds im raising the gun up to its firing position, it works the same if your loading 8 or 4 & it works just as good when moving.

Edited by Neil Smith

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got some close up video of my relaoding. I recorded every load of the evening so you will see some fumbling. Bear in mind that I am still balancing on one foot due to the broken ankle. I was also resting the tip of my mag tube on my gun safe to keep the camera's view where it needed to be on my loading port. So don't laugh because I am kinda slow and unsmooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGy0Yy_DtkE

I finally got some close up video of my relaoding. I recorded every load of the evening so you will see some fumbling. Bear in mind that I am still balancing on one foot due to the broken ankle. I was also resting the tip of my mag tube on my gun safe to keep the camera's view where it needed to be on my loading port. So don't laugh because I am kinda slow and unsmooth.

Looks like "real" practice, :cheers:

It's funny when your in the heat of the moment, and you feel that little bobble, you know that beep is coming sooner. But, when it's smooth as butter, it SEEMS like your taking forever, then you shove that last one in, and then you've got like a whole second of thinking, "is my timer broke?" before that second beep. :roflol:

Good stuff Jesse.

As a Minnesota Vikings fan I like to keep a Green Bay Packers helmet in my dry-fire room and use it as an aiming point in case a round were to go off, I wouldn't be out anything. I see you use one also - cool!

I do have to give them Kudo's for the great Super Bowl run.

Edited by Brian Payne

Nice reloading! You might want to take your finger out of the trigger guard though. I will be trying to copy the rest of your technique.

Nice reloading! You might want to take your finger out of the trigger guard though. I will be trying to copy the rest of your technique.

Thanks!!!

Actually once you can load 8 under 6 seconds you are allowed to put your hands and fingers anywhere you want. Just kidding!!!

Yes the finger in the trigger guard is a no no not just for DQ reasons but for obvious safety reasons. I fortunately have never been DQ'd in my study with my dummy rounds;). I was keeping the finger in the trigger guard for two reasons. I had to keep the gun perfectly still for the up close camera angles to be effective so I rested the end of the gun on my safe and used my trigger finger to hold the gun up under the reciever within the trigger guard. I also save a split second pulling the trigger trying to break that elusive 6 second mark. I am also currently on a walking boot from my broken ankle so I'm essentially balancing on one foot too. I knew everybody was gonna roast me for the finger in the trigger guard because it will breed bad habits etc etc but I can handle the abuse and more importantly I can handle not having it in there when the gun is hot.

For those of you at home don't put your finger in the trigger guard when you have real bullets in the gun unless you are ready to shoot.

Edited by jtischauser

Thanks!!!

Actually once you can load 8 under 6 seconds you are allowed to put your hands and fingers anywhere you want. Just kidding!!!

Yes the finger in the trigger guard is a no no not just for DQ reasons but for obvious safety reasons. I fortunately have never been DQ'd in my study with my dummy rounds;). I was keeping the finger in the trigger guard for two reasons. I had to keep the gun perfectly still for the up close camera angles to be effective so I rested the end of the gun on my safe and used my trigger finger to hold the gun up under the reciever within the trigger guard. I also save a split second pulling the trigger trying to break that elusive 6 second mark. I am also currently on a walking boot from my broken ankle so I'm essentially balancing on one foot too. I knew everybody was gonna roast me for the finger in the trigger guard because it will breed bad habits etc etc but I can handle the abuse and more importantly I can handle not having it in there when the gun is hot.

For those of you at home don't put your finger in the trigger guard when you have real bullets in the gun unless you are ready to shoot.

Jesse Tischauser

I was sure you were aware of it but muscle memory is just that. And I guess reloading under 6 does give you "special" privileges!

I was sure you were aware of it but muscle memory is just that. And I guess reloading under 6 does give you "special" privileges!

I am sorry you missed my humor.

Sorry you missed mine! I was with you the whole time. Seriously, great reloading

Sorry you missed mine! I was with you the whole time. Seriously, great reloading

Lol! I hate forums I'm never A's funny but I am much better looking.

Lol! I hate forums I'm never A's funny but I am much better looking.

Where the heck are those little yellow smiley faces when I need them?