Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leather, yes, Leather

Wild Gene

I am going to try to fit an IDPA match or two into my shooting this year. I have never shot one, and know dang little about it, so:

I really like leather holsters. I don't use one in USPSA matches, but want a leather one for IDPA. I am really liking the Mitch Rosen stuff (specifically the Sport Model, or RRR Model, both in the New Products section), but am open to suggestions.

I want an "on the belt" sytle holster.

I am just not certain about "straight" or "muzzle rear rake". I have always carried concealed with the "muzzle rear rake", and find it very comfortable and easy to draw. What do you see at IDPA matches? How do you carry? I do realize that "kydex" type holsters are probably more common, but I seldom carry in a kydex type holster. I would use this if I ever shot USPSA single stack too. I am using a 5" 1911.

Thank you,

Gene

Edited by Wild Gene

I'm not too much of a fan for Leather but Rick from the PowerFactorShow uses leather exclusively in his IDPA matches. He has a beautiful looking leather belt+holster+magpouch for his Colt 1911. I don't have a picture of it handy but he buys it from http://cedarridgesaddlery.com

you can see him talk about on Episode 02 : Equipment Selection on the PowerFactorShow : http://www.powerfactorshow.com/2010/11/30/episode-02-equipment-selection/

Hope that helps!

Edited by robot

LOL! You got me all excited when your subject line said leather... http://www.dominatrixlingerie.com/popup_image.php?pID=1340

I am afraid to even open that one!

You guys on the left, I mean west side are so lucky, you can shoot a match of your choice almost every weekend! Lots of really good people that I have shot with in days past. I miss Bob and Bob. They had a great shop.

WG

LOL! You got me all excited when your subject line said leather... http://www.dominatri...ge.php?pID=1340

I am afraid to even open that one!

You guys on the left, I mean west side are so lucky, you can shoot a match of your choice almost every weekend! Lots of really good people that I have shot with in days past. I miss Bob and Bob. They had a great shop.

WG

Don't worry, I made sure that the link is safe for work/family. Some people's avatar's are much racier, and Victoria's Secret would probably say it's too tame for a cover.

straight drop holster on the seam of your pants as far forward as allowed will be the fastest whether you use the scoop method or the down up, just look at your natural wrist angle when you lower your arm, Is it straight or tilted back ? Unless you're different its straight, Its gonna be easier going with natural body angles and positions rather than fighting them and learning to use an unnatural arm wrist angle. Lots of leather makers making good shooting sport 1911 holsters that will work every bit as well as the Bladetech.

Cedar Ridge (now doing business as Davis Leather) Gunsite Omega rig:

IMG_09181.jpg

Davis was one of the early IPSC holstermakers, with steel-lined "walk & draw" style rigs that were popular in the '60s and '70s. Andy Anderson, another one of the early fast-draw and IPSC holster innovators, passed his patterns on to Davis, and then Davis to Cedar Ridge. Good stuff.

I find that muzzle to the rear (aka FBI cant) conceals better than straight drop, but straight drop is faster. If you are a gamer like me, get a straight drop kydex holster. If you to run what you carry, then get an FBI cant, whether leather or kydex. I've been using a Raven Concealment Phantom kydex holster for carrying, and that conceals better than any kydex holster I've ever had.

I have to admit, I am a Dirty Gamey Bastard, but still want to play in the Spirit of the Game.

So far I am leaning toward Leather, Straight Drop.

WG

Oh Boy, don't take the Spirit of the Game comment wrong about Kydex. I wear a Kydex Paddle when I am baleing hay at night. It is easy to take on and off in the tractor. I just know that for all day, if I am going to wear something, it is in my pocket or in leather. :cheers: So if the intent is to emulate that, then I will go leather.

WG

The idea of this game just seems to lend itself toward leather in my mind, for some reason.

SRSLY! It's all about looking good while you shoot. remember to sweep the vest away hard, so folks behind can see your holster and belt as you slowly reach for it.

My only knock on leather is when it is hot (300 days a year here) the leather gets wet with sweat and rusts the gun parts ..... and is hell to dry out after every time you use it.

The best shooter in our IDPA group has always used a leather IWB holster - rear cant.

I've got a leather holster I'll use for Idpa some times. I personally think 1911 belong in leather but I don't while competing for some reason most times.

That is kind of what I think will happen to me. I think it would look funny sitting on my RaceMaster.