Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25-2 TTT

RevoJunior

Can anyone tell me about a 25-2 TTT?

6 or 6 and 1/2 inch barrel .45 acp N-Frame with Target sights, hammer, and trigger. You will probably replace all 3 Ts :) Sometimes, they refer to the target grips as a T (you will probably replace those, too)

Edited by underlug

Also notorious for having way oversize cylinder throats.

The cylinder can also be oblong along with the oversized throats. My 25-2 sports a 625 cylinder (thank you Randy Lee). But, everything can be made right

Edited by underlug

Keep in mind that 25-2s usually shoot fine--as long as you stick with jacketed bullets.

I've reached the point where I don't really want to deal with the smoke and mess from cast lead bullets anyway. I might feel different if I were a high-volume shooter, but those days are in the past for me also.

Keep in mind that 25-2s usually shoot fine--as long as you stick with jacketed bullets.

Sorry for being dense, but I'm missing something: If 25-2 throats are often oversized, why do they shoot jacketed bullets better? Aren't jacketed smaller than cast? Why wouldn't the larger cast bullets shoot better? :blink:

Tom

Sorry for being dense, but I'm missing something: If 25-2 throats are often oversized, why do they shoot jacketed bullets better? Aren't jacketed smaller than cast? Why wouldn't the larger cast bullets shoot better? :blink:

Tom

I'm not convinced the accuracy problems known to exist with the 25-2s and cast bullets is caused by oversized throats. There have been lots of internet postings regarding throat problems on 25-5s, but that's a different gun altogether. I think at least part of the problem with the 25-2s lies with the rifling in the factory barrels. Not exactly sure, but it has always appeared to me that the rifling in 25-2 barrels can get a decent "bite" on jacketed bullets, but allows lead bullets to strip a little.

We've discussed this a lot in the past. Most 25-2s don't like lead. Sometimes you can run oversized (.454") or unsized cast lead bullets and have good results.

Mike,

Is there any 625 model/series that will shoot lead bullets, particularly Speer 230 swaged lead, well? By well I mean 3 or so inch groups at 25 yards with a decent load. By decent load, I mean the same load that will do 3 or so 25 yard inches in a 1911 or M&P .45. I would like to shoot major revo, but would prefer to do it with lesser cost lead bullets. I have have played with a few different 625s owned by friends and have not been impressed with their lead bullet performance.

GOF

Mike,

Is there any 625 model/series that will shoot lead bullets, particularly Speer 230 swaged lead, well? By well I mean 3 or so inch groups at 25 yards with a decent load. By decent load, I mean the same load that will do 3 or so 25 yard inches in a 1911 or M&P .45. I would like to shoot major revo, but would prefer to do it with lesser cost lead bullets. I have have played with a few different 625s owned by friends and have not been impressed with their lead bullet performance.

GOF

I'm not Mike but I like the speer 230s in my 625-8 for everything but the cost in a high volume game. I was getting them for 90 a 1k or something like that. They shot really well. I never tried them in a 1911 much but the five or ten I did put through hit where the sights lifted. I was running 4.0 of clays with an OAL of stands as tall as a remington 230 fmj factory load.

Mike,

GOF

I'm not Mike but I like the speer 230s in my 625-8 for everything but the cost in a high volume game. I was getting them for 90 a 1k or something like that. They shot really well. I never tried them in a 1911 much but the five or ten I did put through hit where the sights lifted. I was running 4.0 of clays with an OAL of stands as tall as a remington 230 fmj factory load.

I've always felt that most 625s shoot cast lead bullets pretty well. Not sure about swaged lead bullets, not sure I've ever tried any.

Your most accurate load....I have found for 230 lead is 4.5-4.7gr SOLO 1000 at around 1.220 or so.

See if that works in your revo...if it wont, then try 4.2 of CLAYS with a 230fmj.....if not, then try the oversized lead bullets....454 with the CLAYS. I personally like the taylor throating for lead bullets :devil: , but your results may vary....

Good luck,

DougC

send the bullets off to be cryo-treated :sight:

Man, you revo guys pull out all the stops don't you? Now I know how you put 3 for 3 on that evil, wicked fast inverted swinger at A5 last year! :surprise::roflol:

I have done some serious ransom resting of my "model of 1988" 625 in the past and had some excellent results with cast lead bullets. I mainly focused on 200 SWC's and 200 RNFP's at the time and they performed well.

Neal in AZ