Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load longer for 9mm 1911?

astephenson

I've put a few thousand rounds through my 9mm Trojan and it's run great. The only problem (if you can call it that) is that sometimes when I load and make ready and chamber a round out of my barney mag it'll nose dive into the feedramp. No amount of racking will get it to budge, and I'll have to extract the mag, dump that round, and try again. There have been a couple of slide-lock reloads early on that this has happened, but not lately. I figured it was a break-in issue.

The load I'm using is BBI 147's in mixed brass at 1.130", with 3.4gr Solo 1000. I developed this load for my Glock 34, and have kept using it because it has worked fine and makes PF in my Trojan.

I should have a new press (Dillon 650- I've been loading on a 550) arriving any minute, and figure I might as well adjust seating depth now since I'll be setting the dies up anyway.

Would a longer OAL fix this issue, or would it cause other problems? I'm pretty sure longer will fit in my Tripp magazines.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Your issue may be related to to the relatively soft and sticky bullets rather than the length.

I used to shoot Precision bullets and I have tried lead, both 147gr, both with truncated profiles, at an OAL of 1.14. I would occasionally get nosedives. They were more common at slide lock reloads or when hand cycling then during normal fire, especially on long, hot days at the range.

I switched to the Montana Gold 147gr CMJ's and the problems disappeared. The MG's are cleaner because there is no exposed lead, and very hard and smooth. I still load them to 1.14, and they are a similar profile to the lead and moly bullets.

I'd call it a problem! That's the same basic issue many .40 single stack guns have as well. If the bullet is hitting too low on the ramp, it's simply hitting too low on the ramp, and changes to bullet shape/material will only hide or mask the issue. Loading to a longer OAL will help prevent the low contact with the ramp in the first place. That would be the first thing I tried.

If you switch to a longer OAL, you're going to have to increase the powder charge somewhat to compensate. R,

I occasionally have that problem with my 147 BBI in my 1911 at the same OAL you are using.

When I use 130 BBI at the same OAL, the problem doesn't exist.

130s are a bit snappier to shoot but they work. :D

I'm still new at sorting a 9mm 1911 out. I've found that the different magazine brands prefer different bullet sizes/shapes. I've got Tripp's, Wilson's and Metalform's. That's not scientific, but an observation. My pistol's barrel is not a ramped barrel. I like to shoot 130 grain BBI's but they don't feed well from anything but the Metalform mags. 135 grain Bayou Bullets feed perfectly from the Wilson or Tripp mags. 147gr jacketed feed well from the Tripp or Wilson's. Odd!!

I also like Solo 1000 and 147gn bullets, loaded to 1.140. I use Wilson mags and cut two coils off the bottom of the magazine springs, also made a slight bend up on the lead edge of the spring under the follower. Polished the feed ramp and the inside of the magazines.

I haven't had the nose dive issue in a while so the mag polishing must have helped.

Might try loading a little longer in the morning and give that a test.

Man these little guns are sure fun, think STI hit a home run on the 9mm Trojans.

It has happened with a few magazines. I loaded some at 1.150" (147gr BBI and 3.4gr Solo 1000) and chronoed them yesterday. Made 129 PF and ran great. I loaded up some more for accuracy testing and will report back with findings.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

It has happened with a few magazines. I loaded some at 1.150" (147gr BBI and 3.4gr Solo 1000) and chronoed them yesterday. Made 129 PF and ran great. I loaded up some more for accuracy testing and will report back with findings.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Sounds like a good start! I wouldn't take that load to a big match (too low PF, reverse temp sensitive powder, etc), but at least it's cycling properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I load 147 gr RN to 1.160. Same load for my Glock 34 and STI Trojan. I too have had the feed issues with the Tripp mags. I am still breaking my gun in. I hand polished the crap out to the feed ramp to a mirror shine. 60 rounds through it last night with zero problems. Hopefully the kink is out.

As far as OAL is concerned, I've been told the closer you are to the rifling with the bullet, the more accurate it will be. I loaded long and kept creeping the bullet in until I was off of the rifling. 1.160 got me there. Every so often I'll have to run a round back through the seating die and recrimp it just to make sure it's going to fit, but that's maybe only 3-6 rounds per 500 or so.