Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com/ Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Championship

+1. i think the pro-am format, though it takes a lot more effort to set up, was incredibly new shooter friendly. this match was exactly what 3-gun needed to get new shooters like me into the sport.

also, the generosity of fellow shooters helps out a lot in terms of all the expensive race gear. i got a rifle and shotgun and race belt rig on loan from smoothdraw and wackodacko, and Dyno! gave me a crash course how to use a shotgun a few days before the match. the shooting community has always been very enthusiastic and those three folks in particular, along with a great first match experience, have gotten me hooked into 3 gun. :cheers:

I hear that same thing all the time from new shooters at our club and at larger matches.

Multi-gun shooters are the most helpful and friendly people in the shooting sports !

Its almost cultish, in a good way :surprise:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to start with saying that I really enjoyed the match as it was probably the most fun of the few I have been to. Having said that, I don't mean to stir the pot, but I haven't seen any discussion on what defines a pro vs. am.

So, if anyone would like to voice their thoughts I would like to hear them (constructive ideas only, please). I shot AM mainly because it was cheaper and a buddy of mine had never been to a larger 3-Gun match (not to mention I could really benefit from a lot more practice!). Anyway, my friend had commented that he saw what appeared to be "sponsored" shooter shirts in the AM division.

With that said.....what are peoples views on who should shoot pro and who should shoot AM? Should it be based on:

Number of matches attended?

Skill level (i.e., GM, M, or A class in USPSA)

Sponsorship of anytype ie, employer paying a portion or all of the expenses of the match?

Placement from other matches?

i don't think it matters who shoots AM, since the prizes aren't by performance, but by random draw. as for PRO, well, if you want a cool prize you better shoot good.

i think the way the PRO/AM divisions were set up were great since it helps attract new shooters like me to the sport. the incentive was the chance to win prizes simply by showing up and not having to out-shoot more experienced shooters was a plus. for experienced shooters, the incentive to shoot pro instead of am was that they could guarantee a better prize if they know they could out-shoot others.

i don't think it matters who shoots AM, since the prizes aren't by performance, but by random draw. as for PRO, well, if you want a cool prize you better shoot good.

i think the way the PRO/AM divisions were set up were great since it helps attract new shooters like me to the sport. the incentive was the chance to win prizes simply by showing up and not having to out-shoot more experienced shooters was a plus. for experienced shooters, the incentive to shoot pro instead of am was that they could guarantee a better prize if they know they could out-shoot others.

+1 i think they where set up fine. yes there were some serious shooters in our squad, but i would not change a thing. i have been to several big 3 gun matches, i caught hell for shooting AM because everyone i knew, i mean everyone shot pro. but i also know that i have been getting slower all the time.

for the Fancy shirts both myself and the wife have one. that we got for ourself and thanks to Julie G. we got use the S & W logo. but we have gotten a lot rounder the last year or 2 so they set on a hanger, and you have to be close to read above the name to see that i was the team sponser and the wife is the team captain.

When you put it that way......i would have to agree! No sense in making things more complicated.......I guess I need to quit listening to the peanut gallery :surprise:

I shot in AM, my squad followed the "Brownells Team", nice shirts.

After watching them shoot I came to the conclusion that while they were from Brownells and pretty good, they were not "PROs/super squad" shooters and really did fit in AM.

I would think they were Brownells employees that wanted to shoot and Brownells sponsored them, nothing wrong with that.

I can see where a true AM/nubie would be surprised at this and think WOW I'm really out of my league here! So if their buddies asked them about the match would they say; AM my!@# they all had uniforms!

I think the solution could be as simple as in the next match info letting potential new shooters know that some of the sponsors will have teams/individuals shooting in AM but that they are not PROs? And that most of these shooters are ready and willing to discuss their products between stages?

Now an individual sponsored shooter shooting in AM with a fancy shirt? AM really?

My 2 cents,

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Jesse, you mentioned Nashville and Music Row...The wife and I spent the weekend prior to Rockcastle in Nashville taking in 2nd Ave and seeing Uncle Ted (Nugent) at the Ryman. What a way to start off a great stretch of events! :cheers:

My wife and I were in Nashville too, but I didn't know Nugent was playing. We saw Trace Adkins and Rascal Flats at the Grand Ole Opry.

Guys, I was one of the Brownells crew. Nobody there was a "Pro". Corey from Sinclair has had success in other endeavors, but no one in the "fancy" shirts has won anything other than a small club match, and Corey hadn't shot a lot of 3-gun before this. My last 3-gun or USPSA event prior to the pro-am was in 2006,and it was 2 matches at a club with less than 35 shooters. We certainly felt amateur while shooting, I can assure you.

Our whole purpose for being there, and being in Brownells shirts, was to promote the brand and talk to folks so they could identify who we were. They were shirts left over from the industry masters event, and some guys were wearing borrowed shirts. It wasn't a bunch of ringers by any stretch, and if you look at the scores, it's reflected. Only two or three of our guys finished in the top 40. Our intent was to split us up throughout the entire AM division, and do some market research/customer relations stuff, but somehow we all got squadded together. No worries...we got to meet a lot of great folks and talk about things we like to talk about.

Heck, I was shooting .30 cal AK with a flash hider to promote our entry into the AK market, one of our techs was shooting an 870, and some had borrowed guns/gear...I would be more questioning of the guys shooting $10,000 worth of custom firearms in amateur. It's all good, though...I mean really...Corey got a lamp. Random draw from the prize table. Top 40 move to pro division for next year. It was a fun match, it ran smooth, and we all learned a lot. What more could you ask for?

What more could you ask for?

Nothing.

Glad to see you guys there, and thank you for supporting our sport, just as we all support your business. :-) I have no problem with ANYONE choosing to shoot AM match, sponsored or not, sandbagging or not. It's a personal choice until there are criteria around signup/classification... and a random draw prize table settles any discussion there. I was going to sign up for AM match because I am certainly not a pro, but my squad mates talked me into shooting pro and seeing where we stack up against the best. Now that I know... maybe I should have shot AM? :-)

Fantastic to see many new people feel comfortable and shoot a match against people close to their abilities.... with stages that didnt frustrate them too much for being too difficult or finding themselves timing out on every stage.

Edited by Kevin Holman