Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack question

lppd4

I got a slot for the single stack nationals and have a question about my pistol. Yes I have read the rules but I don't have a box to test my pistol. My guns are all set up basically the same. Bomar sights, S&A magwell, Brown beavertail, I use Wilson 47D magazines and plan to use extended basebads if it will fit in the box. I tried to measure the pistol and it appears it is going to be very close anybody have a definitive answer for me?

Nope, no way to tell for certain. Take a piece of cardboard and draw the dimensions on it....then put the gun on the box and see if it fits. The DE length Wilson mags usually require a bit to be taken off the front to fit the box. R,

Bart

Edited by G-ManBart

sights and the magwell shouldnt caause a problem, the extended basepads might tho. see if you can get an exact measurement from the top of the rear sight to the bottom of the basepad with a set of calipers or something. Ir as g-man said, draw the dimensions out with something that extends up on the top and bottom and see if it'll fit. or better yet, try to shoot a match with a regulation box before May :)

Why don't you just get the measurements from the rulebook and build the box?

Or buy one from Idpa they were 25 bucks when I bought mine. They arent exactly the same size but if it fits the Idpa box your good to go. You could also shoot the battle in the bluegrass we'll have a box.

+1 x 2. It is certainly worth any up front costs to insure you're pistol is compliant. Would hate to go up there to find out it isn't.

Wilson 47D's come standard with a .350 basepad. The next size up is .625.

The .350 will fit the box IME. The .625 won't without trimming.

Check before you go. Open is no place to end up at the SS classic, although several folks do it every year.

Edited by BillD

You might also check out the CMC extended mag pads - they're in between the standard and the extended Wilson pads, but will work with CMC or Wilson Mags. On my gun, they fit the box with just a hair of breathing room.

BillD said "Check before you go. Open is no place to end up at the SS classic, although several folks do it every year."

What is the open division? (is this different then the 38 super optic sighted, compensated division) and what are the consequences?

Edited by ifishak

What is the open division? (is this different then the 38 super optic sighted, compensated division) and what are the consequences?

The consequences, basically, are that you're shooting for fun, because there is no recognized "Open" division at the Single Stack Nationals.

The purpose of bumping someone to open is that it makes your equipment extremely uncompetitive, and so it discourages cheating ahead of time by applying a rather severe penalty for those who cheat, either intentionally or unintentionally.

The consequences, basically, are that you're shooting for fun, because there is no recognized "Open" division at the Single Stack Nationals.

The purpose of bumping someone to open is that it makes your equipment extremely uncompetitive, and so it discourages cheating ahead of time by applying a rather severe penalty for those who cheat, either intentionally or unintentionally.

I am assuming to be legal all of the mag bases used during the match would need to be trimmed to fit in the box, not just one to fit in the box. I know my gun and wilson 47de mags are very close. So I would want to get a box and trim them all?

Do some people bring their open guns to the SS matches? What would happen if someone brought a double stack polymer .45 gun or a Sig P220, would they be allowed to shoot but just be bumped to open?

Why would one waste the money to shoot a match for fun only when oOpen is not recognized?

Why would one waste the money to shoot a match for fun only when oOpen is not recognized?

I can see people wanting to do that if it's a local match and they don't own a single stack, or they shoot optics normally and don't want to or can't shoot irons, or they're used to glocks/mp/xds and don't want to spend a few months getting acclimated to the 1911. There would probably be a very small percentage of people wanting to do this but I was wondering if anybody actually did it.