Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF-100 Primer Feeder

I have two sitting side by side, running small primers. One has pretty much 100% success rate, the other one has been troublesome since day one. Dillon rebuilt it, but it still misbehaves.

As it is now, it is giving me up to 6 upside-downs per 100 - way too much. Using CCI small pistol primers on that one.

What specific adjustment to make to get rid of this problem?

I have two sitting side by side, running small primers. One has pretty much 100% success rate, the other one has been troublesome since day one. Dillon rebuilt it, but it still misbehaves.

As it is now, it is giving me up to 6 upside-downs per 100 - way too much. Using CCI small pistol primers on that one.

What specific adjustment to make to get rid of this problem?

That's definitely WAY too many.

There isn't one adjustment, there could be more than one. First thing to do is to take off the cover and watch the primers. See if each of the stations are doing what they are supposed to do. Watch it for a few minutes and it will probably be clear where your problem is. Without watching it, it is hard to tell you what to do.

Do you have the adjustable model that varies the frequency of the vibration? Does it happen with all brands of primers?

The first wing should tip off the outer ring anything that isn't flat on one side or another. The second notch should "flip out" any that are upside down. The third, which is where the primers line up for the drop should make the final cut. Watch the line of primers - are they getting to the drop without any flipped? Follow this line of logic and you'll figure it out.

Edited by rodell

Hello: I think the primers are getting flipped at the entry into the tube. At least that is where mine get turned. I had to cut away the tube adapter since it was sitting to high and causing the primers to hang up and flip. I also had to shim the clear plastic cover plate to allow the primer to enter easier. I have an older primer filler without the reostat and bought the reostat hoping it would help. It does not help at all. I went back to the original setup. On a last note some primers are not round and are different thicknesses. When the primer filler is working great it is great. When it is not you just want to through it :roflol: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have the older types,two of them,and I have added the reostat(sp) to both of them and that has made a difference. You have to watch the primers and it won't take long to see what speed works. I have also found that the speed can increase over time and the increase in speed tends to cause some of the wrong side up primers to get past the dump points. It needs to be relatively slow to allow the wrong one to fall off the track.

I had occasional flips (nothing like you are) when I first got my RF. I turned the speed down to just enough to clear the primer tray out on one cycle and have had one flip in around 8k. Seems like other units are a bit more problematic.

My situation is exactly the same as AirCooledRacer. The new rheostat doesn't slow it enough and the primer flips as it drops into the tube. I'll probably try to fix it one more time. Just a paperweight for the last year. :angry::angry2::angry:

However I really love all five of my Dillon loaders! :bow:

Problem is it seems to be gradually getting worse, regardless of speed. I am pretty sure it does happen at the tube mouth, so I will try replacing that piece. I wish Dillon chimed in with some suggestions, because the machine had been back to the factory and returned in better condition, but still, never as good as the other one that I bought later. Last time I shipped it to Dillon they told me there was nothing I could do because adjustment required special jig. I absolutely love these machines when they are working fine, would not be without it - have three, all with rheostats. Perhaps it also has to do with the primer brand. The one that is running great is doing the Winchester primers, this one CCI's.

Edited by Foxbat

Problem is it seems to be gradually getting worse, regardless of speed. I am pretty sure it does happen at the tube mouth, so I will try replacing that piece. I wish Dillon chimed in with some suggestions, because the machine had been back to the factory and returned in better condition, but still, never as good as the other one that I bought later. Last time I shipped it to Dillon they told me there was nothing I could do because adjustment required special jig. I absolutely love these machines when they are working fine, would not be without it - have three, all with rheostats. Perhaps it also has to do with the primer brand. The one that is running great is doing the Winchester primers, this one CCI's.

For what it is worth, I use only CCI's and they work fine for me. I did have to make some adjustments, and, I do have the rheostat (added as an upgrade).

Try putting in a new upper tip and push some in with finger pressure. That will tell you if the inner diameter is off for the primer. The flippers are ususally at the tube. You will need to adjust the reostat for the Primers.

In my experience the lighter the primer, the more problematic.

The lightest to heaviest seem to be....

Fed gold match, Fed, CCI, Remington, Winchester, Wolf. If my reostat is set up for winchester, it works perfect with Wolf.

With Feds I stand there and load up my tubes, and more often than not I have to stop and dump out the flipper.....

Keep at it..

DougC

Be sure that the screw that retains the colored plastic sleeve in the bottom of the bowl is not too tight. We suggest tightening this screw until it just stops against the plastic sleeve, then back it out 3/4 turn. Overtightening it causes the bowl to shake too violently.

Thank you Dillon, I am aware of that screw and I think I have followed that procedure, but will check it again. Would you recommend replacing that plastic piece? It doesn't have a huge number of primers through it though.

Adjusted the screw as per Dillon's recommendations, and so far two hundred primers all loaded properly! Thank you Dillon!

The adjustment is somewhat ambiguous, as there is plenty of resistance as you rotate, and it is hard to tell when the screw is just making the contact with the plastic piece, but apparently it can be done.