Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 for open

kevinpagano

The easy answer is NO. What possible advantage would a .40 have over a 9X19, .38 Super, or 9X23? None. A .40 has less mag capacity and more recoil.

If you're going to make the significant investment to get an open gun, do it right from the start.

Kevin,

Everything the previous two gentlemen said is true. To go a little further as to WHY they are right...

When you want to become competitive you will tune your load to minimize the recoil and flip of the pistol. To achieve that you will progress to the lightest projectiles available for the .40. The first thing that strikes you is the price ... they are very expensive when compared to a 38 or 9mm whatever. Secondly, the ballistic coefficient of those light .40 projectiles is terrible. Basically expensive and poor performing bullets. When you add the fact that you will always be at a magazine capacity handicap to the 9mm & 38 guys, there is not much reason to pursue this much farther.

Leo

Kevin, where are you located? I know that in some countries that prohibit reloading, shooters wanting to go the Open route are using .40 as they can buy factory ammo that will make power factor requirements. They go this way, or they go modified where they need .40 to be scored major anyway. I agree with the others, as mag capacity will be lower thats for sure, and as far as effectiveness of the comp, I don't think you will get the performance out of .40 as you would with the various .355 diameter calibers out there ;)

So is it possible to have one open gun to cover all the sports? Im interested as well in getting into a open gun andto shoot IPSC, action pistol, and maybe steel and pins. I have been looking at Hunters Customs allSport 40 but now Im confused. I already reload 45 for IDPA and would be happy to just buy and shoot 40 ammo for the price, however if I have to reload I guess I will.

When it comes to the differences in the 38 super and the supercomp Im still in the dark. Is it a load difference or is it a totally different case? Are they interchangable? I was kind of looking at a STI Trubor Competitor in 40cal. Seems the price to reload 40 is so much cheaper if I have to reload to achieve good ammo. Man this gets real deep real quick, and expensive.

An Open gun for all games....possible.

I think Hunter Custom comes from a bowling pin back ground? Pins are tough, and guns made just for pins are going to be a bit different than for the other sports. Loads for pins often go well over Major pwer factor, heavier bullets are used to hit/transfer energy into the pins, mag capacity isn't as big of a concern.

For Open IPSC/USPSA, you want as many rounds in the gun as possible (this means something in the 9mm/38 family). Not only do you get more rounds in the gun, but you can get the light bullets that everybody likes...which means you loads will have enough juice to work the ports and comps.

Also, In IPSC/USPSA, you will want to load to Major power factor. The guns for pins need to be built strong...and the guns for IPSC/USPSA need to be fairly tough as well.

For NRA Action Pistol, you are looking for accuracy. Speed of transitions isn't much of a factor. Minor power factor. Capacity is not an issue.

For Steel, lots of shooters feel that a light gun gives them an advantage for swinging the gun while transitioning to the next target. Minor power factor. Capacity is not an issue.

The all around gun for me would be a double stack in 9mm/38. Nothing fancy.

The difference between Super and Super Comp is the rim at the base of the brass. Super Compe has a rim like the 9mm, 40, & 45...it stacks well in magazines. The Super has a semi-rim, it stick out some and some feel that it might not stack as well in the mags (the rims could catch on one another and cause a jam). Opinions on there vary. Other than that, they are a very different.

So would something like a STI Stinger in 9mm fill the bill for all but pins? My 1911 45 would be fine for that I 'spose.

What happens when you run factory 9mm thru a gun like a stinger?? Must it be loaded up to make major to make the gun and the comp function normally??

If you aren't going to be reloading...then don't even bother buying an Open gun. ;) No sense spending thou$ands of dollars on a wonder blaster, then feeding it generic stuff off the shelf.

As for 9mm (instead of 38 Super, SuperComp, 9x23, etc.)...with the 9mm, you are a bit more limited is your choice of powders. That may not be a huge factor (I load 9 to Major), but it is something to consider.

And the "Stinger"...well, I think a new shooter (and many experienced shooters) would be better off with something along the lines of an STI Competitor

Thanks for the info, I do reload 5 or 6 K of of 45 for IDPA a year now, or there abouts, I just wouldnt mind buying factory ammo if there were a suitable one for sale at reasonable prices. I reload to save $$ not because I really like it. If I could find ammo that filled the bill for PF and recoil for 6 or 7 cents a round I would throw my reloader in the closet. But hey, who wouldnt?

I have a long way to go till I figure out what I want to buy. Looks like Limited 10 for now while I gather more info. Hope you guys dont mind more Q's down the line.

Kent, if you go with the .38 super or something similar, there are commercial reloaders who will do it for you to your specs. Of course, that will probably be more expensive than premium .45ACP ammo, so it won't save you any money, but could save you time.

You'd still have to work-up a good load that makes your gun run the way you like, though.

I am sure some of the commercial reloaders are great; but if they really do a quantity of ammo, they are reluctant to change anything on their set up, as in OAL, powder charge, primer types, etc. If thry do some of that kind of thing, and they charge you accordingly, it becomes cheaper to shoot factory or get into reloading yourself.

AND, it is just me, but I don't trust any ammo that did not come from the factory or I personally loaded, no matter the reputation of the commercial reloader.

Tightloop makes a great point regarding the commerical reloading option. Been there & done that personally (crimp being the largest culprit)--along with the investment in an open gun...do similarly with buying a Dillon progressive press! You'll be glad you did!