Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MKII 22/45 mags vs MKIII 22/45 mags?

S&W627shooter

I just got a MKIII 22/45 from Ruger and also got 3 extra mags for it. However, the magazine packaging says MKII on the label. Is there a difference between the twop mags? I noticed that the ones that came wit the MKIII gun had a black "knurled" thumb stud and a ct out portion that exposes the spring. They also had a small ledge that sticks out about an inch from the top.

The three extra mags that were labelled MK II have a silver smooth thumb stud, no exposed spring and no ledge.

Can anyone tell me why they are different?

Also, do MK II mags work in MK III guns?

I suppose that after my 10 day waiting period, I can find out myself, but I am curious now.

Thanks,

Chris

You need to specifically get the MKIII 22/45 mags. The 22/45 Mags are different than the regular Ruger .22 pistol mags, different baseplates. I also think the MKII 22/45 mags are different than the MKIII 22/45 mags. I just got a MKIII 22/45 and have been learning.

Neal in AZ

The MKIII 22/45 has a magazine disconnector in it from the factory and the MKIII magazines have a raised portion (the small ledge) that enables the gun to fire when inserted. MKIII magazines should work in MKII and MKIII pistols, but not the other way around assuming that the magazine safety is in tact on your gun.

Edited by BigTinVA

The MKIII 22/45 has a magazine disconnector in it from the factory and the MKIII magazines have a raised portion (the small ledge) that enables the gun to fire when inserted. MKIII magazines should work in MKII and MKIII pistols, but not the other way around assuming that the magazine safety is in tact on your gun.

That makes sense, thank you.

• 1 year later...

I have a MKII 22/45 and a new MKIII 22/45 with the wood grips. Both gun's mags work in each others. I have not changed out any internals in either gun but they both function with MKII and MKIII mags. I was really happy when I bought the new gun and the old mags worked in it. I didn't have to buy a bunch of new mags.

For steel framed guns, I have a MKII with the mag release on the bottom of the grip. I have a MKIII with the mag release on the side. The MKIII mags lock into the MKII gun, but the MKII mags will not lock into the MKIII gun.

Chris, I bought my MKII in Santa Maria almost ten years ago at RangeMaster when it was under the original owners. Where did you buy your MKIII?

Edited by spearogun

• 2 months later...

Don't forget there are two different model MKIII 22/45's one has permanent grips the other has replacable grip panels it is the RP model. Will take any 1911 grips with minor modifications. Same magazine for the MKII 22/45, MKIII 22/45 & MKIII 22/45RP.

• 1 month later...

Purchased a MKII 22/45 mag by accident (package miss marked) for my MKIII 22/45. Both worked in my gun but the MKII mag didn't lock back the bolt. Only visible difference was a small opening at the top of the mag, I assume to engage the magazine release? In any event, the local gun shop returned the mag and replaced it with the correct one. All is good.