Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

used Benelli M1

bryant198526

hello everyone this my 1st post....

I live in the Orlando area and I have recently gotten interested in 3 gun. After reading this forum and several others (plus the Magpul Shotgun DVD) I decided to go with an M1. AT a nearby shop (Florida Gun Exchange)I found a very used HK stamped M1. It has a 18" barrel with extension tube. The sells guy said the gun is a police trade in, but promised me it is fully functional.

Here are some pictures i took with my phone I know they aren't the best but.....what do y'all think....is it worth it?

post-28104-004518200 1291877672_thumb.jp

post-28104-092967700 1291877907_thumb.jp

The condition wouldn't bother me, but I'm guessing the extension tube is not as long as you are allowed to get 8+1 and I'm doubtful the barrel is threaded for chokes on that gun? I'd rather have a 26" barrel with choke tubes. I would keep looking for a gun threaded for chokes and buy a Nordic tube for it. Keep an eye on gunbroker and the classifieds on this forum.

The Mossberg 930 also seems to be getting some attention. Some guy named Jerry is using one, so it must be O.K.

Edited by mscott

I don't believe it has a threaded barrel or ghost ring sights. I guess my next question is; is it cheaper to buy the used m1 and buy a second longer barrel and extension tube or just buy another shotgun altogether?

Hard to say which is cheaper. You can get the barrel threaded for chokes for about $100 plus the costs of the chokes. If you go this route have them thread for invector chokes since they are cheapest and easy to find.

There is also no reason that your extension tube can not be longer than the barrel. Some do not like how that looks but pretty does not do a thing for how well it shoots.

If you decide to buy a second barrel good luck. They are almost impossible to locate and run in the $400+ range. Your chances of finding a used longer barrel of any variety is about the same as finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I think the gun you are looking at will ghost load without any alteration.

I would pass. For entry-level money, you could buy a 24"-26" Stoeger for <$500, and put the same amount of money & work into making it what you want. If you're planning to build the gun of your dreams from this first gun, I don't think you can get there from here...

It may be okay, but that M1 has been beat to hell & back. That receiver has been repainted at least twice and dinged hard, which indicates to me that it did more than sit in the cruiser racks. Dunno about FL, but in KS, the tactical teams were the first ones to get Bennis, and they were good for beating the muzzle out of round, treating them like the thicker walled Remingtons.

Based on the replies I'm guessing this isn't the gun for 3 gun....So what would be a decent shotgun for $1,000 or less.

I think this m1 would make a good home defense/ DYI project gun.

You can have your local dealer order a brand new FN SLP for less than $1K.

Doesn't the FN SLP have like two different gas systems depending on the type of ammo being used? not sure if i would like that. One of the range instructors where I work was also thinking about to starting 3gun but i think he may go with a Beretta....

What y'all think about a Remington 1100 or Mossberg930? That way I can two gun for just over $1k.

Doesn't the FN SLP have like two different gas systems depending on the type of ammo being used? not sure if i would like that. One of the range instructors where I work was also thinking about to starting 3gun but i think he may go with a Beretta....

What y'all think about a Remington 1100 or Mossberg930? That way I can two gun for just over $1k.

The FN does come with a light and a heavy piston. But, unless you're hunting geese or turkey w/ 3" shells, the light piston will do everything that needs to be done for 3 gun.

• 4 weeks later...

So i did buy the M1..... had a chance to shoot it today and I'm glad to say it worked like a champ. Put a 100 rounds of Federal multi purpose load from Wal-mart through it and about 20 rounds of 00buck shot and 10 rounds of 1 ounce slugs. Call me a big wimp but seemed like the Federal rounds kicked a little bit harder then the Speer Lawman (the 20 rounds of 00buck and 10 slugs) loads we use for duty ammo at work.

I don't believe it has a threaded barrel or ghost ring sights. I guess my next question is; is it cheaper to buy the used m1 and buy a second longer barrel and extension tube or just buy another shotgun altogether?

I think the gun you are looking at will ghost load without any alteration.

It should ghost load and w/ an 18.5" barrel and a Benelli extension tube you get 8+1

And the tube will be just a bit shorter than the barrel length. You could have

it stripped and refinished. There is a guy at cerakoter.com that will do u a great job!

T

Edited by Tattoo