Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After action report on SALIENT shotguns!

kurtm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys suck! :angry:

Nah, just kidding around, it's only the raging jealousy inside me that makes me say these things, not anger. I'm still patiently waiting, patience, I do have it, I think. This is hard, I'm ready to play with mine. :blink:

Nah, just kidding around, it's only the raging jealousy inside me that makes me say these things, not anger. I'm still patiently waiting, patience, I do have it, I think. This is hard, I'm ready to play with mine. :blink:

I thought I saw a picture somewhere of a bleeding appendage of yours from getting stuck in the lifter of the FN SLP before you had some mods done. Does this mean your SLP is being degraded to the role of your backup shotgun?

I really hope I like my Salient because my FN has been flawless and it's built like a tank, but my entire family and my wife's family are all Italian and they've been putting pressure on me.

I thought I saw a picture somewhere of a bleeding appendage of yours from getting stuck in the lifter of the FN SLP before you had some mods done. Does this mean your SLP is being degraded to the role of your backup shotgun?

I really hope I like my Salient because my FN has been flawless and it's built like a tank, but my entire family and my wife's family are all Italian and they've been putting pressure on me.

Backup? Nah, I hear tell the salients don't need a backup. I was actually considering using it for strength training only, since it weighs twice what the benellis do. :lol:

And yes, once it bites the hand that feeds it, the hand never REALLY forgets! ;)

Yeah, just get your hands on an M2 on gunbroker, and have it sent to your favirote shotgun gunsmith, and have them do the work on it. $1000 for the salient package :sick: JMHO thats pretty hefty for the the upgrades and mill work. I guess alot of that money goes to the middle man....

The Salient will be like having a J.P. rifle as opposed to a m-4 off the shelf rifle. The Mossberg is going to be a good gun, but it won't be a Salient....ever. KurtM

How much for the Salient as yours is set up and if you don't mind could you post a pic.

Pat

Pat, I would love to post apicture of the Salient, but I am at work and won't be home untill the 1st of Feb or so. The best I could do right now is a picture of a Fat Free .40 and a beat up M-14, on the old cell phone...which won't allow me to up-load pictures out here anyway. For pictures you can find them at Velocity shooters or Salients web sight, and YES the finished product looks just like the "fancy" marketing pictures on their web sights. Also Tony at Velocity can help out with the pricing of the Salients.

Like I said before this Salient is Completely race ready. Everything that can be done to them is done, and believe me after working on Benellis for the last 15 years I know. It is far more than "just some machining". The attention to detail is on par with J.P. and Noveske. I am so impressed with them that I now shoot one and the Cammo M1 that I have shot for the last 15 years is now the back up gun.

Pat, I would love to post apicture of the Salient, but I am at work and won't be home untill the 1st of Feb or so. The best I could do right now is a picture of a Fat Free .40 and a beat up M-14, on the old cell phone...which won't allow me to up-load pictures out here anyway. For pictures you can find them at Velocity shooters or Salients web sight, and YES the finished product looks just like the "fancy" marketing pictures on their web sights. Also Tony at Velocity can help out with the pricing of the Salients.

Like I said before this Salient is Completely race ready. Everything that can be done to them is done, and believe me after working on Benellis for the last 15 years I know. It is far more than "just some machining". The attention to detail is on par with J.P. and Noveske. I am so impressed with them that I now shoot one and the Cammo M1 that I have shot for the last 15 years is now the back up gun.

Thanks Kurt. Just trying to decide how much to save up. I wish there were threads on this site showing peoples set ups. Half of the fun I had at Larue last year was looking at every ones different guns.

Pat

Thanks Kurt. Just trying to decide how much to save up. I wish there were threads on this site showing peoples set ups. Half of the fun I had at Larue last year was looking at every ones different guns.

Pat

Here are pictures of my Salient M2. Like Kurt said, the attention to detail is nothing less than perfect.

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

What is exaclty is a "Mr. Weakhand speed closing tab"? I have yet to find a Benelli bolt release other thatn the GG&G that I like. And that one's quite pricey. I picked up a Nordic but haven't installed yet, as it looks like it's really gonna stick out there!

Good to see the continued evolution and refinement of the Salient. Mine was one of the earlier ones and doesn't have the "American Shooters" logo or the stippled bolt release, just a straight up Arredondo. Time to break out the soldering iron. Thank you for the pics.

The Mr. Weakhand is made by...well me. It is similar to the Dave's Metal Works tab, but I changed the design so it anchores to the gun better...NO MODS I don't sell them!

This is for Bryan 45:

post-1176-058652100 1294854096_thumb.jpg

Edited by kurtm

A few things to note about the picture, from last years High Plains Challenge.

1. Propper use of a sling.

2. Trapr spotting.

3. Tim Ubl from Nordic Components, with the prototype .22 MAGNUM upper receiver.

4. Smokey Bear waiting so we can drive the short 6.5 miles to my shop to drink beer and lie to each other.

5. Although no way to tell, this M1A is on it's 3rd barrel and Traprs loads worked great!

Just got word from Tony mine is being shipped today. Then the 10 day California jail wait.

Got to shoot Chivas's on Sunday again. Really looking forward to having a shotgun that runs finally, sorry 1100CM.

I got mine yesterday (minus the American Shooter's sticker).

It is significantly lighter than my FN SLP (but I don't have a scale) and I'll have a chance to shoot it at a match tomorrow (without a chance to sight in my slugs or check for functioning with my current load-I better bring the FN as backup).

I'll spend a little time tonight practicing weak hand loading and see how it goes.

What are other shooters doing with sights for their Benelli? Are there choices that work better to help with adjustability for slug stages?

Hopefully I'll be halfway decent with it come BRM3G.

Thanks in advance for any additional input!