Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Dot Sights

oddjob

How many here have electronic sights on their shotguns?? What type of dot and the mounting method?? Good or bad comments?? The only advantage I see is for long slug shots, but what do I know....I have a 11-87............THANKS....

After a simliar question I settled on the Doctor sight, like the JPoint. very light and can be mounted on the barrel, so no issue with barrel to receiver fit etc.

If you search you will see some pics etc

I was pretty "whatever" when it came to putting dots on a shotgun. I shot our President's shotgun this weekend with an Optima on it and it's got me thinking.

On steel it was a big advantage over my bead and peep. On tossed birds, it was amazingly easy (i.e. as opposed to doing it the "normal" way without).

In the end, I probably will mount a dot on my shotgun, but the debate then is on the receiver or on the barrel. Both sides have great points, pluses and minuses.

Rich

I have the "Old style" holosight with the large ring and 1 minute dot. The large ring works great for shot and the 1 min dot could be used for long slug shots.

I have several other recticles but have never even tried them.

Leo

Used to use a Williams "Ghost Ring" rear aperture and fiber optic front for Open Division. Changed to a JPoint last year (mounted way out on the barrel flush with forend) and love it. Lots faster on slugs, especially at distance. Equally fast on steel and clays. The receiver mount will raise the sight compared to melting it into a vent rib out on the barrel. Lower dot = better head position (IMHO)

--

Regards,

Hey,

I just mounted a Redfield Optic on my Browning Gold. It is similar to one of the older Aimpoint dot-tube sights. I found it on I think Sportsmens Guide or one of the various shooting catalogs for $100. It was so inexpensive I bought 2, just in case. I mounted it on the Gold with a B-square Weaver base that mounts to the vent rib forward of the receiver so it is mounted on the barrel and not on the action. I've shot it with slugs and shot and actually did ok shooting clay targets (not skeet or trap yet though) that were thrown as a reaction target when steel dropped and it worked just fine. The mounting point will probably have to be changed as it is taking some getting used to with the speed loaders. I'll probably mount it further forward of the action, but all in all, I'm happy with it. I couldn't beat the price of the optics. I've seen the same optics recently in Sportsmens guide for $40 more ($140). The dot gets pretty bright but I don't remember the MOA rating on it.

Anyway, that's what I use :)

Vince

PDP3 with a 7 moa dot on my rem1100, its mounted on the vent rib using an al's custom (http://www.alscustom.com) non-gunsmithing ventrib mount. It's okay and doesn't get in the way when you flip&burn it since you can mount it as far forward as you want. The only problems with it is the whole thing makes the gun extemely muzzle heavy (once you start swinging it, it ain't stopping for nobody) and the dot is really high above the rib. jpoint or doctor optic is what i'm planning for next. still debating whether i'm gonna place it on the reciever or the vent rib.

I have a JP Limited 1187 that I just finished modifying to a convertable Limited/Open shotgun, and having shot it in a couple of matches in Open, I think I found THE setup for me anyway. It came from JP with a 21 (22?) inch smooth slug barrel with rifle sights.

First I had my smithy put on the receiver mounted Da-Mar Scope Mount from Brownells (483-100-001) and put a JPoint on that. The JPoint on top of the Da-Mar is very low and doesn't change my cheek weld. I can also use the front sight on the barrel with the notch in the rear of the JPoint in case of dot failure, just aim about 4 inches low at 15 yards. I really like the dot sight closer to my eye on the receiver compared to mounted on the barrel like the JP Open Shotgun. Flip & Burn loading in Open is easy, and none of the sights are in the way. Converting to Limited is also easy; just remove the JPoint, the DA-Mar mount is not in the way at all.

Next I installed the obligitory Tec speed loader bracket and Arradondo "funnel". These are easily removable to convert between Open & Limited because they are mounted with extended trigger group pins.

Then I added the Briley compensator/choke setup from Brownells, (129-301-001 thru 129-301-008, take your pick) Also needed is the special choke wrench, 129-310-000. You may need to enlarge your gas ports, mine are now .120, test fire the final setup before drilling!

Lastly, add a 5 round extension tube for total of 10 in the tube for Open, or put on the 3 rounder for Limited, and I have a Limited/Open convertable shotgun!

With all the barrel mounted dot suggestions above, I just thought I would add my alternative of the receiver mounting, the setup works great for either Limited or Open, and I now have a great sight mounted for fall deer hunting!

JJ

I have found mounting the sights on the receiver causes your zero to change when the gun is taken apart. The gun will most likely shoot more accuratly when the sight is mounted out on the barrel & will not loose its zero when taken apart.

Plus you have a sight that is just like a scout rifle set up, FAST & lots of field of view. JP point sights are the best set up I have used, low mounted & no comb adjustment needed.

I haven't noticed any changes in zero... yet... and I hope it doesn't happen...been shooting 10 inch slug plates out to 50 yds with no problems after a take down and reassembly for cleaning...

I really like the dot on the receiver, closer to my eye, looks like a big picture window with a dot in it! :D

JJ