Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use the new UNIQUE for .40 loads

zipper046

Hey all,

I've been using UNIQUE for about 2 yrs now. 5.0gr's under a 180gr FN Zero jacketed bullet with mixed brass and winchester primers. Out of my GLocks, it shoots great and makes easy Major. It is a bit dirty, but I clean after every session anyway....and besides, it's a Glock....

Was wondering if anyone else uses the new UNIQUE and if so what loads they are running for Major & Minor.

Thanks,

Z-

I've been using it too. Use it in 9 and 40 major. I was loading 6.0 gr under 180 gr Ranier HP for a 198 PF. I am switching to Montana Gold 180gr CMJ, but will keep the same load. It should be around high 180sPF to low 190s PF (have not loaded it yet). I like the way this load feels out of my Glock 24

Edited by HS101

• 2 weeks later...

for USPSA, there are much better powders for the job. Unique is a mid burn rate powder, too fast for comped guns, too slow for standard barrels. Based on burn rate it would look good for max velocity loads in a game like bowling pins, but Unique is very spiky run it over a chrono and when you start getting close to max charges your SD will really open up. Unique is ok for alot, but great for nothing.

• 1 month later...

Used Unique here for many years cause it works "well" for just about everything. Started wanting something cleaner after "new" Unique didn't seem much improved over the old. Switched to Universal Clays a couple years back and haven't looked back. Then during the shortage I started using magnum primers cause they were all that was available, adjusted my loads down a bit and that seems to clean the burn up even more.

Sal

I have had exceptional results shooting it in .40 S&W major. Strictly as a lead bullet propellant.

In my G35, 5.5 grains of Unique under a 180gr black moly coated bullet @ 1.135

Tried it for minor and it was all over the place IIRC. Also had a lot of un-burned mess left over with the minor loads.

Jim

I broke in on the Alliant powders years ago, and used Bullseye and Unique for a couple of years before experimenting with other manufacturers. Unique still has it's place, mostly with lead bullets, but it still smokes more than is necessary. I really like the choices with the Hodgdon Powders.

I've been using Unique for major since WAP went away. Seems to work well for me. I don't have a bunch of unburnt powder in the gun afterwards. Other folks around were experimenting with Vitavoury which I still may try.

I started loading 40s&w about 3 summers ago. I am using Unique simply because I have a good supply of it.

5.3 gr Unique

175 gr lead truncated cone

mixed brass

Winchester primer.

172 PF

I've had good results. Reliable function , good accuracy. I'm running these loads thru an STI Edge.

• 3 months later...

I just loaded up some test loads with Unique and had the chance to run them through the chrono. I was developing a major power factor load using bare lead bullets.

My setup is as follows -

Glock 35 w/storm lake barrel

180gr lead Missouri Bullets TCFP

mixed brass

winchester primer

1.133 - OAL

Here are my results with 3 different loads.

• 4.5 gr of Unique yielded the following:
  • 983 fps
    --------
  • 977 fps avg. extreme spread of 37 and a standard deviation 14

• 4.7 gr
  • 1024 fps
    --------
  • 997 fps avg. extreme spread of 40 and SD of 15

• 5.0 gr
    --------
  • 1006 avg ES-61 SD-25

I settled on the 4.7gr. because if I throw out the first shot high reading it brings my avg. fps to 991.21 with and extreme spread of 14 and a power factor of 178. Seems to shoot well and chrono'd pretty consistent.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a question and no access to a chrono. I am shooting a Glock 23 loading for IDPA SSP. I am loading a Ranier leadsafe 155gr. I am currently putting it over 5.2 grains of unique. Can I go down to 5.0 grains of unique and still make the 125,000 floor?

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a question and no access to a chrono. I am shooting a Glock 23 loading for IDPA SSP. I am loading a Ranier leadsafe 155gr. I am currently putting it over 5.2 grains of unique. Can I go down to 5.0 grains of unique and still make the 125,000 floor?

you really have to chrono it from your gun to know for sure. i know that's what you don't want to hear, but every barrel is different and if you're getting near the cutoff velocity then it requires testing in your gun.

you really have to chrono it from your gun to know for sure. i know that's what you don't want to hear, but every barrel is different and if you're getting near the cutoff velocity then it requires testing in your gun.

No thats not what I want to hear but its good to know. Thanks for the input.

what is your reasoning for dropping the powder charge?

Less recoil ? Less muzzle blast, cheaper loads ? The answer to all those is to change powders. Unique isnt very well suited to .40 non compensated reduced power loads. Lots of faster powders would make better choices.

I'm a complete beginner and own 2 lbs of Unique. As of now I am still messing with it trying to get the most out of it I can. Once this lot is exhausted I will try some other powders. But to answer your question yes, yes, and yes. I am going to get this as smooth as I can and if I'm not satisfied then I will switch. This is why powder should come in sample sizes.

I use 5.3gr under 180 Missouri Cast bullets, this load shoots very well, very moderate recoil and accurate as pooh. I have no idea about it's power factor or velocity, but based on the recoil I figured it is high Minor Power. COL 1.135

PS The Alliant Loading Guide list 6.7gr as a max load using a 180gr GDHP

Edited by mjmagee67