Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon vs. U-die in .40

Sarge

After I posted wondering about pre sizing with my Dillon die before running a U-die in .40 I decided to go to the loading bench and do some testing. In hindsight I was dumb for not doing this earlier.

I found the press actually ran just as smooth if not smoother with the U-die.

I also found that when sizing Glock fired brass the Dillon die was far more apt to create a crease at the base of the brass whereas the U-die did not.

I swear the Dillon die feels tighter when running brass through it but the U-die is indeed sizing it smaller.

Is there some voodoo involved with the grinding of the two dies that would account for this? The Only drawback I found with the U-die is getting perfect alignment with the shellplate but being more deliberate with the operation helps alot.

Anyone else have similar results? I'd be curious to know if maybe I have a bad Dillon die.

I should note that all cases were lubed with one shot.

I also want to point out that when I did the same test with 9mm last time the U-die was giving me fits by creasing brass whereas the Dillon die was fine.

That's certainly my experience. I just replaced the Dillon die with the U die and kept going. Cut my problems with Glocked brass substantially.

That's certainly my experience. I just replaced the Dillon die with the U die and kept going. Cut my problems with Glocked brass substantially.

I use the Dillon die and then the U-Die! Have done it this way for the last

three years. I'll try the U-Die first and remove the Dillon die, and how it

goes/feels.

After I posted wondering about pre sizing with my Dillon die before running a U-die in .40 I decided to go to the loading bench and do some testing. In hindsight I was dumb for not doing this earlier.

I also found that when sizing Glock fired brass the Dillon die was far more apt to create a crease at the base of the brass whereas the U-die did not.

I swear the Dillon die feels tighter when running brass through it but the U-die is indeed sizing it smaller.

Is there some voodoo involved with the grinding of the two dies that would account for this? The Only drawback I found with the U-die is getting perfect alignment with the shellplate but being more deliberate with the operation helps alot.

Anyone else have similar results? I'd be curious to know if maybe I have a bad Dillon die.

I also want to point out that when I did the same test with 9mm last time the U-die was giving me fits by creasing brass whereas the Dillon die was fine.

+1 to everything you mentioned except the lubing with one shot. I just run them as they come out of the cleaner.

With the dillon die I would have fat cases or creases. Also would have some primers fail to be deprimed. Had the lock washer/key thing fly off while loading once, still have not found it.

Since changing to the U-die I have not looked back. Anyone want to buy a Dillon resizing die?unsure.gif

When I used my u die in station 1 I was crushing a lot of cases and the press required a lot of force.

I replaced my Dillon die, and placed the u die in 2, and it was much smoother, no crushed cases.

I just got a bullet feeder and got rid of my u die. Went back to just Dillon. To my surprise, and possibly confirming in some way your findings with the Dillon then u combination, my # of cases bulged at the base actually is LESS than the 2 die combo.

This is all with nickel brass fired thru a glock.

Interesting experience

Edited by Surge

Do you guys have your Dillon die properly adjusted? The Dillon die brings the brass back into sami specifications. The U die tightens it up by another 3k of an inch, Using a U die should be totally unnecessary. Have you measured the width of the case down by the case head to see if if in spec?

Yes, the dillon Die does bring the case back to factory specs, but it doesn't go all the way down. The U die doesn't go any further down, but it does bring in the section that is does resize down below factory specs, thereby sucking in the bulged part of the case that is below where both of the dies reach. The combination of a u die and a Lee FCD results in coke bottle shaped rounds that always work in my guns. I am sure that the over stressing of the brass will shorten it's useful life somewhat, but I don't collect brass religiously enough to have stuff around that I have fired more than a few times. 40 and 9 brass is so cheap that I don't always pick it up. Plus the brass whores will do anything for you if you let them have your brass every once in a while.

• 4 months later...

I've seen the U die fix a lot of feeding issues, just this afternoon a friend purchased a Springer 1911 in 9mm. His ammo wouldn't run mine did, I've got the U die. Use it in 9mm, 40S@W and super 38. It just works, especially in tight chambered pistols.

The Only drawback I found with the U-die is getting perfect alignment with the shellplate but being more deliberate with the operation helps alot.

I had this problem when I tried a U-die and couldn't find a solution for it. The case mouth would catch on the die mouth probably 3 times out of 4, requiring manual alignment before it would go in. This cut my loading rate by 60-80%.

The Only drawback I found with the U-die is getting perfect alignment with the shellplate but being more deliberate with the operation helps alot.

I had this problem when I tried a U-die and couldn't find a solution for it. The case mouth would catch on the die mouth probably 3 times out of 4, requiring manual alignment before it would go in. This cut my loading rate by 60-80%.

I found that after I used Dillons adjustment/alignment tool, all the above went away. I was amazed at the difference after only a couple hundred rounds.

I found that after I used Dillons adjustment/alignment tool, all the above went away. I was amazed at the difference after only a couple hundred rounds.

Their what now? Got a link?

Call Dillon and tell them you are having alignment issues and they will send you one free. It is a pin that resembles a powder funnel goes in station one and aligns the base plate and tool head more or less.

+1 to everything you mentioned except the lubing with one shot. I just run them as they come out of the cleaner.

With the dillon die I would have fat cases or creases. Also would have some primers fail to be deprimed. Had the lock washer/key thing fly off while loading once, still have not found it.

Since changing to the U-die I have not looked back. Anyone want to buy a Dillon resizing die?unsure.gif

Unless you are just building arm strength, try adding one shot to 50 cases and see how much easier and smooter the press works.