Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Toolhead Spring

The Super 1050 is a great press but when things like this go wrong it is frustrating,because there is nothing we the users can do to fix the problem other than just keep buying spares until Dillon fixes the fault.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I have 2 old Dillon RL1050 and the springs have never been replaced or do they need to be. I would check the spring cup as stated above to make sure you have the correct one. I would then phone Dillon back to make sure that the springs are the correct length. If that does not work go to a industrial supplier and see what spring is close and buy one of those. I think there may be a problem with the springs they are supplying if they are wearing out that quickly. I thought for you is how many times a valve spring goes up and down in it's life time :surprise: Thanks, Eric

Well I did phone Dillon back and spoke to one of their customer support reps and he after going through all the items listed above and telling him that the press has no extras on it he said that he had no idea why the the springs failed.

So I guess I am stuck with this problem until Dillon realize that they do have a fault with this current batch of springs or I find a spring from another supplier that will hold it tension.

To be honest I am a bit peeved as I thought that I would have gotten a lot more rounds out of this press before things started to fail,sure things will go wrong from time to time some of it user error and some just plain old wear and tear.

But 2 Toolhead springs in less than 6 months has me wondering what else may fail :unsure:

in the near future.

Regards

As stated in one of my other postings the rep I spoke to said that the toolhead spring was not covered by warranty even if the press was only 6 moths old which sort of put a dent in their 12 month no BS warranty.

I thought I was doing something wrong.

My 1st spring (new machine) did not even last 5k rounds. Was noticing the shellplate 'backtracking' when eased up on the handle. Then discovered the tool head would not stay in the top position when I let go of the handle.

Not a problem since I bought the spare parts kit. In the kit, there was a piece of paper saying to replace the spring bushing when changing the tool head spring. So, I changed out the spring and bushing and now the tool head stays up :rolleyes:

Called Dillon to place an order for a new spring and bushing to replenish my spare parts kit. The guy at Dillon asks me why I wanted the bushing and if it was cracked. So I told him my spare parts kit had a note to replace the bushing when replacing the spring. He thought that was odd and didn't say anything else.

New spring has been going great for awhile now, maybe it was bad batch of springs.

Well sad to say that the second spring I fitted has also failed even more so than the first one <_<

The toolhead now stops just above my 9mm cases to the point where you could not put a projectile on the case.

I have fitted a 3rd spring and hope that it is not from the same batch as the last 2.

Awhile ago I asked members of this forum what spares I should get for my Super 1050 and thanks to their advice I ordered spare toolhead springs.

If I had not taken their advice when the first one failed I would have had to wait for it to arrive down here anywhere from 5-14 days many thanks to them for the heads up.

But now I feel I should have ordered a dozen of them, my press is stock standard with no other things on it to add extra weight to the spring.

Just maybe Dillon can talk to the company who makes these springs for them and get them to check the quality control.

Because I don't think I will be the last person to have these springs fail in such a short time.

To anyone thinking of buying a Super 1050 by all means do so just make sure you have spare toolhead springs on hand just in case you have my rotten luck. :angry:

Regards

I had to buy a new spring for my 2 month old BRAND new press($1500+). New spring sucks too. After 8k cycles, my press at rest(with just reloading dies and powder measure) 1/2 of the 223 case is covered by the dies. When I'm done reloading, I "borrow" a hair tie, and use the tie to hold up my handle so I can put the cover on it. Maybe the new 1050's should come with one, it's bound to last longer than the spring :)

I'd like to hear when a Good batch comes in.

Dillon Presses ROCK, but the Dillon of today is not the same as even 5 years ago. The 1050 doesn't have the "No-B.S." Warranty, but it does come with a 1 year Warranty, it doesn't say limited, but I'll call it a B.S. 1 year job.

When did Mike hand over the keys?

Will I still buy Blue, Hell yes. Do I have bad springs, I'd say yes, my older more experienced machines don't share the same problem.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive this but....I am New here to the forum but not from hand loading. I too own a Super 1050 and have had issues with an average 20k cycle per toolhead spring. I have taken this matter in my own hands and have been working with spring manufacturer that has over 80 years of experience. I have made a custom spring bushing to accommodate the new spring. I have sent them specks on a new unused spring from dillon and they have mocked the OEM spring's "feel" while guaranteeing me 5-10 times longer life. If any are interested let me know so I can get a good idea the quantity of springs and bushings I would need. As with all I am trying to stay as affordable as possible making it worth while. I would like to order over 100 setups. Transactions would be handled through eBay and I am working on a free spring replacement to those who do/money back guarantee. As of now I only have in-mind a few springs for myself. I love Dillon's products but feel small tweaks/feedback from end users are "key". Feel free to ask questions...

My handle does not stay in the complete top/upright position. It drops just a little bit. Not a problem though. Nothing I am worried about. My 1050 is over a year old and has about 10k rounds through it. Works great.

Sorry to revive this but....I am New here to the forum but not from hand loading. I too own a Super 1050 and have had issues with an average 20k cycle per toolhead spring. I have taken this matter in my own hands and have been working with spring manufacturer that has over 80 years of experience. I have made a custom spring bushing to accommodate the new spring. I have sent them specks on a new unused spring from dillon and they have mocked the OEM spring's "feel" while guaranteeing me 5-10 times longer life. If any are interested let me know so I can get a good idea the quantity of springs and bushings I would need. As with all I am trying to stay as affordable as possible making it worth while. I would like to order over 100 setups. Transactions would be handled through eBay and I am working on a free spring replacement to those who do/money back guarantee. As of now I only have in-mind a few springs for myself. I love Dillon's products but feel small tweaks/feedback from end users are "key". Feel free to ask questions...

CS spring? What kind of price on that set up?

I am trying to stay between 25-45$ for a new compression spring and lathed/milled SS/aluminum bushing, while offering a guarantee/one time free spring replacement. Of-course the more I purchase the better the price.

Edited by dkg1013

This is mainly to give me an idea of the interest level of such items. Once all is ready I will start a classified thread here, I am short a few posts to do so. If all works out well I would love to offer setups to a few high volume loaders on Dillon Super 1050s to test with the only catch being to provide feedback. The setup will be a "drop-in" no mods needed, made within the 48 states, easily revert back to OEM.

Edited by dkg1013

FWIW, we are testing a different spring to see if a change will improve life. The springs are currently made in the US, and that will remain the same.

Awesome ! I don't mean any disrespect by any means, but still have my setup coming down the pipeline. I am a true supporter of American made products as I will offer nothing but US made products also. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Super 1050 and will buy no other branded progressive press. I am just a good old american trying to be innovative.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a screen door spring from a local hardware store. Screwed an eye bolt in the ceiling of my shop and made a wire loop to fit on the back of the toolhead.

Set the tension as needed and have not looked back, to date 150K and still just as strong as it ever was

cheap fix

• 4 months later...

I am trying to stay between 25-45$ for a new compression spring and lathed/milled SS/aluminum bushing, while offering a guarantee/one time free spring replacement. Of-course the more I purchase the better the price.

Are these available on eBay?