Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Toolhead Spring

Hi I just wanted to find out how many 1050 Super users have had to replace their Toolhead Spring

Part number # 12572 it looks like I will have to replace mine again.

I have only had this press for about 6 months and now the handle is not staying in the upright position like it should.

When I ordered the first replacement one the rep at Dillon said that the toolhead is very heavy and the springs do loose their tension after time but 2 in six months seems to be rather excessive :surprise:

Surely this spring is supposed to last longer than that is there something I am missing or doing wrong that could cause this problem if so please let me know what will fix this issue.

Has anyone found a replacement spring that is readily purchased from some other company that has a longer life span.

Regards and thanks to any reply

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years and also never had to replace it.....do you leave the handle down when not in uses? can't think of anything else....I load about 65 k on mine so far...

I would say keep the press clean and lube but 6 months is not enough time to get it to jam :blink:

I've replaced my spring twice, once when it broke, jamming the tool head, and once when it wouldn't keep the tool head all the way up. The first spring also did that, but I wasn't smart enough to see it, since it came on gradually. In 4 or 5 years, I've reloaded a little more than 180,000 rounds.

Seems odd to me. Number of rounds thru the machine should affect it, NOT how heavy. It's the loading, unloading of the spring that wears them out not constant pressure. so unless the round count on the machine is very high, it seems like it might be something else.

Thanks to all the replies but this still has me beaten hands down there is no way I have reached the 65,000 mark yet let alone the 180,000 rounds as stated in the above postings.

I reload about 1500-2000 rounds a week for myself and some friends and that would be the most we would average. I strip down clean and oil my press every time I before start to reload

and have had no major jams on on it whilst reloading and use case lube on my cases.

As for the the the powder bar return spring it is set as per Dillon manual when I do use the press it cycles just fine with no need to force anything and when I do finish the handle is left in it's upright position.

This press does not have a PW drive or anything like that and I would like to resolve this problem because as we know the 1050 Super is supposed to be an almost commercial grade reloader and I have found no postings here that say that this spring fails.

So if anyone has some tips/tricks to try please let me know as I am at my wits end on how to solve this problem.

Well I don't know except that I don't clean my press that often :surprise: I try to follow dillon's recommendation and that work pretty well for me so about 5-10k I strip her and clean it....but not after every session and I also have the Bullet feeder but I empty the tubes when I'm done (bullets/casing).....mind you I don't know why I empty but still..I always did it B)

Hopefully Dillon will look at this tread and may have an explanation! :cheers:

Make sure that when you get new springs, get new bottom collars as well. They changed the design on the springs sometime ago. I run a couple of RL1050s....When I got new springs, they sent me new bottom collars to work with the new springs.

Just something to check ....... ;)

Good luck,

DougC

Once again thanks to all your replies I took the step of phoning Dillon tech support and asked the rep for some advice and he went through a checklist more or less the same as has been mentioned here by the forum members (except for the spring collars ) and when I told him that I had done all of them, he said that putting more grease on the spring might help.

Now I had my doubts about this as I fail to see how grease will give you spring tension but I tried it anyway but no luck :(

So I rang back and got the same guy and he said that he had no real solution to my problem and may be I should just buy extra springs to keep on hand as the springs are not covered by warranty.

Now I am not here to bag Dillon but surely they could have come up with a few more ideas or at least send me a replacement spring because at this rate if I go through 4 springs a year plus shipping charges to Australia things could start to get expensive.

If my output was 30,000 rounds a month I would say that okay you are giving that spring a real workout but I do not even come close to those figures and when members here get 180,000 rounds out of one spring I do tend to feel a little cheated :angry2:

So if anyone has anymore ideas for to try please post them .

Regards And Thanks

Edited by Taipan

Yes I did purchase this press new it is only just 6 months old give or take a few weeks I did think that the whole press was covered by 12 months no BS warranty but from what I have been told not all parts are <_<

So it might be wise to check with Dillon and find out what parts are not covered and see if they can give us a list so that their are no nasty shocks in store when the non warranty part fails or needs replacement.

Well thanks a heap you guys who have have yet to replace a spring you make me feel so much better <_<

I have placed an order for 2 more springs and hope that the gods of Dillon will smile on me with this lot and I will have no more more problems :rolleyes:

But surely Dillon have sold more than one 1050 super since I purchased mine and yet I seem to be the only one who is having a problem with my press.

If Dillon is lurking in this forum I would most greatful to hear any advice he may have to offer (Hint,Hint )

I got a new 1050 a little over a month ago, and my spring is wore out in less than 20k cycles. My handle sags to about the middle of the stroke with an empty powder measure. If I have my trimming toolhead on(with a power trimmer), with 223 brass in the press, in the neutral position, the dies cover up almost 3/4 of the brass, it looks like I have a 9mm in the shell plate(handle is nearing horizontal).

It's an annoyance, and my other 1050's don't do that. Current springs must suck. I'm going to call for a replacement, it better be free!

No reason the press should sag like that, whether you have a bulletfeeder and/or a trimmer. The springs should be more durable and have more resistance. Like a couple of the other posters said, I wonder if there's a bad batch of springs out there.

My vote is bad springs....My RL springs have worked like a champ, and I just processed a bunch of .223 brass...over 25K and it stays up by itself after running the Dillon trimmer on the toolhead....After running the RLs for many thousands of rounds and many years for them to go bad that fast sounds like a bad spring...

I am sure they will get it figured out.

DougC

My vote is bad springs....My RL springs have worked like a champ, and I just processed a bunch of .223 brass...over 25K and it stays up by itself after running the Dillon trimmer on the toolhead....After running the RLs for many thousands of rounds and many years for them to go bad that fast sounds like a bad spring...

DougC

I hope they do because when both my springs were new they returned the handle with an action that had to be slowed down, but now even the second spring has lost the snap feeling and has to be returned to the resting position where it sags forward at least 2 inches .

I would like my springs to last 25,000 rounds before they sag and I would be more than happy with them then.

Lets hope Dillon do find out about this fault and post that they have fixed it here in this forum.

I would keep talking to Dillon - they will take care of you. Just continue to explain what's going on and what's happening. Sometimes it's a matter of calling 2 or 3 times and speaking to different people, but they always seem to figure it out. Keep hope alive! :D

DougC

I hope they do because when both my springs were new they returned the handle with an action that had to be slowed down, but now even the second spring has lost the snap feeling and has to be returned to the resting position where it sags forward at least 2 inches .

I would like my springs to last 25,000 rounds before they sag and I would be more than happy with them then.

Lets hope Dillon do find out about this fault and post that they have fixed it here in this forum.

I would hate to have a collection of springs from the 1050 Super that have failed :angry: