Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Hi Power value

smokshwn

A friend wants to sell this and asked me if I could place a value on it.

Anybody care to give me a ballpark guess on a 20 year old Browing Hi Power? It has not been shot a whole lot and seems to be mechanically sound. The finish is probably at 75% and in a couple areas looks like it took some hard knocks. It is a blued finish gun with the simple blade sights. The fit is decent, not tight but also not a rattle trap.

Looked on gunbroker but too wide of range to get a decent idea....I don't have much experience with these so I was hoping someone could give me a hand.

Basing its value solely on what I would pay for it would be $350ish ....am I close?

Thanks, Craig

Ought to make a good gun...for something. cheers.gif

Like I said I haven't handled many of them, but what little time I have spent with this one I think it's a pretty good platform for biting, pinching, and cutting the hell out of anyone who tries to handle or shoot it :goof: Holy hell sharp corners, edges, and pinchy spots are everywhere :roflol:

a friend used to run one in USPSA matches, you couldtell when he grabbed it high, the first few shots, his feet would come offthe ground because he was gettin bit by the hammer commin back....makes a hellofva welt too...

easy solution - file down bottom half of hammer - won't bite anymore:)

HPs were pretty popular when the 1911 had 7/8 rounds and the HP had 14 rounds. Issues with the safety, which was easily disconnected. Very reliable guns. Frames could not handle the hi volume of rounds down range. I think the HRT had them for a while. SAS uses(ed) them. Very popular in Beirut when I visited there some years ago.

Cylinder and Slide, Novak, and some guy in AZ did some awesome work on them. I have a stock one and one built by Ralph at C&S which I will never get my money out of!

Pretty nice for a carry gun, keeps a low profile. Fits and points great. You can carry it with the hammer down and not worry about it lighting one off.

Rumor has it JMB said the BHP fixed all the problems of the 1911.

I think Shotgun News had the FEG- clones for $250. I purchased an excellent one with two mags in NE for $350. $300 smackers is about right.

I started shooting Tuesday Night Steel with one before I purchased my 1911.

Edited by pjb45

I've seen one on consignment at a local (CA) gun store for > $700. It is similar to the one described except the finish on the one I saw looks to be pretty good. I suspect that it may come with the original 13rnd magazines which, in CA, may be a big reason for the high price.

$300-$400.00, depending on how many mags he is throwing in with the gun; I actually started shooting a Hi-Power in '83 in IPSC in Minor, but quit shooting due to deployment schedules and just never got back into the game until I actually got into the industry side in 2000. Hi-Powers are one of the great all time guns available, it is the the most copied handgun in the world today.

I haven't seen any $200 - $300 BHP's in several years. Depending how much wear, etc. and how many mags it should go for $400. Last gun show I went to a couple of weeks ago there were a couple of used one's I looked at with price in the $400 - $500. Easy way to not get the BHP hammer bite is to use a 1" band-aid on the web of the shooting hand..

Based upon the description given I'd venture to say that the Hi Power in question would fairly go for $400 between friends.

Bear in mind, that's just one numbskull's opinion, and worth what you paid for it.

Biker

One of my friends purchased a used one with four mags 85% finish, fiber optic sight, chambered in 40S@W from a dealer for $450 last week. We shot a hundred rounds through it with no issues. I thought he did well on the purchase.

When I looked on Gun Broker most were priced well above his but were chambered in 9mm.

• 1 month later...

It is tough to say without pictures, but I would say between $300.00 and $400.00. Where was this one built? I love my BHP and it was built in 1972 and in Belgium, the best were made there. I had it since 1990 and will never sell it.

Most Gun professionals will at least have a BHP and a 1911. These two are the greatest pistols ever designed.