Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which buckmark?

818-DVC

To be the most cost effective means to optical rimfire with a buckmark, do I buy a camper, target, or practical model? which one do I buy if I want to be competitive in SCSA?

I plan to use a c-more and want the trail lite tac sol barrel. Is there a model with a factory tac-sol 5.5" barrel, or do I buy the cheapest new buckmark I can find and add the barrel & optics and call it a day? I'm on gunbroker right now trying to show the wife what to get me for kwaanza this year ;)

JL

Edited by 818-DVC

This seems to be a popular mod of the buckmark.

http://digitalperspective.org/buckmarktraillite.aspx

I suspect Browning has simplified their inventory by stocking only a non-adjustable trigger models. Some folks are using a Heggis Spring Flip to lighten the trigger pull.

The Buck Mark Lite Gray 5.5 is looking pretty good.

I have two Buckmarks and both have been upgraded with many Tac-Sol parts. My first gun was new but when I decided to get another knowing it was going to go through a conversion I found a used one pretty cheap. One of the Buckmarks has the Tac-Sol 7.25" bbl, TS integral scope rail, TS fibre-optic front sight and TS colored grips. The other has the TS 5.5" bbl with comp, TS integral scope rail, TS colored grips and fastfire dot (although I might switch to a C-more). They are both set up with the specific parts I wanted and I have been very happy with the results.

I second the Allchin C-more mount. It mounts the C-more lens right at the guns recoil pivot point. It also leaves the rear scope mount screw exposed so you can disassemble the gun by removing the barrel and scope/mount as a unit so you don't have to re-sight the gun.

Allchin Buckmark C-more scope mount

As far as the adjustable trigger, don't bother, you can make the trigger pull weight heavier, but you won't make it much lighter than a standard Buckmark. The overtravel screw is nice, you can either drill and tap it yourself or just replace the stock trigger with this

Overtravel Adjustable Trigger Brownells

Trigger Limit Screw Brownells

You can also order them direct from Browning

Browning Parts Pricelist

B5152898 Overtravel adjustable trigger

B5152897 Trigger limit screw

So far here's what I've come up with.

Camper matte black 5.5 $260

tac sol 5.5 matte black fluted $225

C-more railway $209

Allchin bucmark cmore mount $45

thinking $800+ on a modified .22 is just a tad spendy. I don't see why a cmore is needed for sub minor loads, and how much more accuracy I need out of a barrel to hit a 10" plate 7-15 yards away. What am I missing here?

JL

Hello: We are using a Buckmark with the short bull barrel 4" I think off the top of my head. I installed a Tactical Solutions rail and a C-More. I did the trigger and bought 8 mags. It has run all season for my son and I. The short bull barrel works great and even my 8 year old can shoot it without any problems. The 12 year old was shooting a Ruger 22/45 but likes the Browning better :angry: I like the Browning better as well :cheers: The Tactical Solution barrel would be nice but I don't think it is a must have. The Alchin mount may be better to make the C-More lower to the bore. I guess I will have to get another Buckmark for next year or shoot my S&W 617. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for everyones response. There is only 1 question that has not been answered. Do I absolutely need a C-more? Couldn't I get away with a much cheaper, lower duty dot? I have a grey C-more 8moa I plan to use on my next open build. I could use this but it just seems like overkill. A $50 BSA is lookin really good right now ;)

I'm not particularly good at this sport but I when I shoot my stock Buckmark with the fiber optic front sight I can hit all the plates just as fast as I can go. The stock equipment is not what limits me.

IMHO the real reason folks modify their guns is because they enjoy doing it. That might also be the best reason.

You ever see how fast you shoot with a red dot? I do a little more than tinkering with my guns. I just don't have the time or money to drop on some wazoo .22 at the moment. I heard that buckmarks flat out run with good ammo. For under $400 I'm in.

I just got a camper 5.5 with the FO Front. It seems to shoot pretty dang well, it may be a little too light, on Outer limits it was bouncing all over the place on settling into the second box. :surprise: Then again it was 30 degrees and 20mph winds, and maybe I am just not used to it. As for accuracy, I put 9 out of ten under a dime at 10 yards the one that was out was way my fault, that is way more that you need even for the 12" plates at 20.

As for a cheap optic, look at the aimpoint micro knock offs, I think the Burris one is about $100, and there is another I was looking at (Famous Maker?) for less than that. They seem to hold up OK, but that is from other sources, not me, and I don't know how they compare on weight. I eventually want to get a dot sight for mine, but for now I have other things to spend money on. :D

I have a Buckmark setup for 22Iron with the heavy nickel-plated barrel from 1985 and it is awesome. Never had a problem with any type of ammo as long as I loctite the screws on top.

Just built up an open gun for the kids by purchasing a used 22 Camper for $250, taking off that barrel and got the TacSol 5.5 threaded with the comp (not convinced the comp does anything since all the gas goes all directions, but it looks cool). Then, got the TacSol picatinny rail on top and put a Burris Fast Fire II reflex dot on the rail. It is pretty amazing. After some polishing and deburring near the extractor, it runs all ammo well. Now, we are building a slide racker and it should be 100% ready for 8 year-old use.

Why get a dot? Only if you really want to shoot 22 Open. No reason you couldn't start with 22Iron and put a fiber on the front. Then, if you really want to shoot Open, get the rail and the dot. Personally, I prefer Iron sights and really love the Buckmark platform. The mags cost way too much, but it shoots the super cheap ammo well, so over time it evens out.

I think people shoot the C More because it's what's on their centerfire open guns. You can use whatever you want, as long as it's reliable and puts the dot where you like.

I think there's something to be said for a 22 that begins life as a 22 and not as a conversion. I have several Buckmarks and several 1911 conversions. The Buckmarks are 100% reliable with good ammo. I've had good and bad days with the conversions. I've shot matches where my stuff ran 100%, then there's times when I can't get a magazine through the gun without a jam.

Seiichi

I have a camper model that I bought from Academy and I placed a C More on it. I tried the cheaper route before by buying a cheaper dot but it didn't even last my 2nd range session...the dot just disappeared...so save yourself some trouble and get a proven dot sight. The barrel is really not necessary...I'm usually running low 2's and once in a while below 2 second runs on smoke and hope with it ;)

post-153-057533100 1291093101_thumb.jpg

You want the cheapest one you can find. I think the Camper is it. Replace the barrel with the TacSol one. Mount a C-More with the Allchin mount and go to town.

I'm new here so...why are you guys swaping the barrel?

I barrowed a buddies Camper model to try before I buy. The

stock grip SUCKS and will be changed on mine. But why the

barrel?