Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta Xtrema 2 for 3-Gun

Robert King

I am going to start shooting 3-gun this winter. I have both open and limited rifles and handguns, but no shotgun setup yet. I currently own a Beretta Xtrema 2 that I use to shoot clays out in the backyard. It has a extension that gives me a 10 round capacity as well as extended bolt handle and release buttons. I have shot lots of different stuff through it, light loads, buck and slugs all cycle and shoot well. Since I don't know for sure I am going to do a lot of 3-Gun and I don't have a ton of $$$ to invest in a new shotgun, what do you think about using my Xtrema 2? Any downsides you can point out? I currently have a fastfire optic on it, but it comes off easy enough. Oh, I also added a fiber front sight to it.

Use what you already have! My extrema is used as a hunting/sporting clays gun and is very reliable. You can always change later if you feel the need. Go shoot and have fun! Jim

TY-21785

I got my butt kicked by a guy shooting a beretta with a nordic tube last weekend. I'd run with what you have until it gives you a reason not to.

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on other modifications for the Xtrema, other than what I have already done? Loading is pretty slow, so that is something I would like to improve. Some of the time, when I insert a shell into the tube, it comes back out under the feeder and I often get my fingernail stuck up in there.

Check with benelli2 (I think he ran one for a while).

Check with Stefan I believe he is still running his... (it seems to work well enough to beat me regularly).

I believe Stefan did pretty well with his at Area 6 last weekend.(If that is what he is still running. I did not get a good look at it)

I've been running a Briley Xtrema 2 in 3 gun for several years now.

Runs great, shoots soft, and most importantly hasn't let me down at a match yet.

Rounds not getting to the shell catch will go away with practice, if you continue to catch your finger nail you can have the lifter extended slightly, and there is a lot of metal that can be removed from the loading port. Focusing on keeping your thumb straight while loading should also help.

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on other modifications for the Xtrema, other than what I have already done? Loading is pretty slow, so that is something I would like to improve. Some of the time, when I insert a shell into the tube, it comes back out under the feeder and I often get my fingernail stuck up in there.

Bryan 45 got it right. For my two cents, resist the urge to remove metal or rework your lifter. Make up some dummy rounds and practice your reloads. I have an FN SLP and had a chance to shoot an Extrema at skeet and found the lifter/loading system to be a lot nicer than my FN (which did try to amputate my thumbs, particularly using weak hand). A lot of people have gotten their FN lifters welded up to remove that crescent gap but some have reported issues - might have to do with slightly increased weight or metal warpage. YMMV.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to working on this. I went with an xtended bolt handle, paddle bolt release and mag extension. All of them came from Briley. My first match will be March 6th, so we will so how it does. I went with Briley, because my Xtrema is Max4 Camo and Briley made an extension in the same finish. It ran $150, but was worth it to me.

• 2 months later...

I am interested in purchasing the Beretta Extrema 2 for use in 3gun open division. Does anyone have experience with the installation of speed loader brackets onto these?

I am interested in purchasing the Beretta Extrema 2 for use in 3gun open division. Does anyone have experience with the installation of speed loader brackets onto these?

I shoot one in open. I built my own speed loader bracket and it works very good. Love the shotgun! Nothing stock works so you have to do your own. Ralph Arredondo also has one with his own loader bracket. Problem is he can't sell them without violating the patent on the tech loaders. You also have to extend the lifter like they do on the Benneli's for the speed loaders to work properly.

Edited by chendersby

How are the shells retained in the magazine? Is it off to the side like an M2 and 1187 or is it from the bottom of the bolt like a Browning Gold? Just wondering because I had a speed loader bracket modified for my Gold and had trouble making it work because of the "finger" that retains the rounds on the bottom of the bolt stove-piped the rounds from the tec loader at the entrance of the magazine.

The extrema is the most underated shotgun out there. Its definately a shotgun to take alook at. It does not get the play that benelli's, FN's or the Winchesters get but it is truly an awesome shotgun, and much softer shooting with the gas system that it has.

I have shot mine in several matches now. Took me a while to get slugs shooting where I wanted, bug I finally found the right slugs and it is great. I can't run less than 3.25 dram shotshells and that is a little annoying, but I am sure I could get them to run with some work. The lifter likes to catch my thumbnail, but not nearly as bad as the FN. I almost gave up on the extrema and went as far as buying an FN. But now I am thinking of staying with the extrema.

I have shot mine in several matches now. Took me a while to get slugs shooting where I wanted, bug I finally found the right slugs and it is great. I can't run less than 3.25 dram shotshells and that is a little annoying, but I am sure I could get them to run with some work. The lifter likes to catch my thumbnail, but not nearly as bad as the FN. I almost gave up on the extrema and went as far as buying an FN. But now I am thinking of staying with the extrema.

Open up the gas port some and should run anything, I run 3 dram walmart val pack stuff. also lifter needs to be extended to avoid the thumb issue.

I shoot one in open. I built my own speed loader bracket and it works very good. Love the shotgun! Nothing stock works so you have to do your own. Ralph Arredondo also has one with his own loader bracket. Problem is he can't sell them without violating the patent on the tech loaders. You also have to extend the lifter like they do on the Benneli's for the speed loaders to work properly.

Can you please upload some pics of the bracket you made? How did you manage to measure where the bracket should be attached as I am pretty sure there is a sweet spot for the placement. I would also appreciate pics of the lifter. I am in SOuth Africa for the rest of the year so all of this work would need to be done by myself.

I love my Xtrema2 as well. Nordic tube and bolt handle, angleport extended release (not a big fan of this one). It's a great 3gun shotgun, extremely reliable, mine will run on light target loads also. I've drug that thing through mud crawling to a duck blind and it was crunchy but ran 100%. I've had more issues with my benelli, a couple days in the field and I get FTF's from dust.

My only issue is my barrel shoots left with slugs. About 18" at 40 yards with full power winchesters and 12" left with low recoil fiocchis. And the angleport bolt release doesn't work well, sometimes it releases 2 shells at a time and jams the gun. Once it didn't release anything. Someone on SGW sells a better one, I need to get one of those.