Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Open Build..and cansiderations

nipplehead

Hey Guys been thinking real hard about moving up to open class. And if I do a really want to go 9mm so I can lose my brass without going broke or crazy!!. I know there are trade offs performance wise..I have been told it should be a 5 inch gun to get performance without over pressure with that round. Any info on those issues would be useful. If price is not an object who should I be looking at to do the build? Does anyone specialize in 9mm open guns? Recommendations please Thank You

Hey Guys been thinking real hard about moving up to open class. And if I do a really want to go 9mm so I can lose my brass without going broke or crazy!!. I know there are trade offs performance wise..I have been told it should be a 5 inch gun to get performance without over pressure with that round. Any info on those issues would be useful. If price is not an object who should I be looking at to do the build? Does anyone specialize in 9mm open guns? Recommendations please Thank You

You have more choices in powder with a 38s/c. Otherwise, if they are built right, there is really no reason they aren't just as reliable as 38s.

If I had an unlimited budget and was in no hurry, I would have Bob at Brazos build me one. I have seen a lot of Open guns and his are some of the smoothest tightest guns I have ever seen. There are several other builders out there that are very good too, but if I was to get a free ride, Bob would be my choice.

JT

We have a Northwest gunsmith who specializes in 9mm open guns, he's great to deal with and builds really nice stuff, JPL Precision. Very nice 9mm open guns for the money.

OpenPict0006.jpg

OpenPict0014a.jpg

OpenPict0010.jpg

Edited by jid2

Open is a Division. We shoot Classifiers to determine what Class we're in. We Divide guns by Division. ;)

There are so many 9 Major threads, it's silly...you don't even need to do a search, just scroll back...this is a topic that's been beaten to death. Any of the top smiths should be able to make you a 9 Major gun that runs just fine. Here are a couple of threads to get you started:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115107&view=findpost&p=1305762

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99607&view=findpost&p=1138286

You have more choices in powder with a 38s/c. Otherwise, if they are built right, there is really no reason they aren't just as reliable as 38s.

If I had an unlimited budget and was in no hurry, I would have Bob at Brazos build me one. I have seen a lot of Open guns and his are some of the smoothest tightest guns I have ever seen. There are several other builders out there that are very good too, but if I was to get a free ride, Bob would be my choice.

JT

+1 for BRAZOS

I dont have posibility to bye Brazos gun becouse he dont sell outside US , but I have in my gun all Brazo product

I've noticed that the the best running 9 major guns in Central Texas are built by Jim Anglin of Sailors Custom Guns.

My local smith built mine, too bad he is retiring at the end of the month.

38Super is actually less expensive to shoot than 9 major unless you are getting free brass. I am pay $200 per 10k for clean once fired 9 mm, I can get a 1000 38SC and load them 10 times for $125.00. So just consider the cost a wash, I shoot 9 major because I don't want to spend all that time bent over at the range.

Bob at Brazos is a super nice guy builds a great gun and I'm sure he will give you good advice go 38 Super, as will Benny Hill.

I bought a USED mid grade gun to see if I liked it BEFORE I drooped a bucket-o-cash on a new build. My rationale was that if i didn't like it or really did and wanted to move to a custom build I could sell for close to what I invested. I wasn't ready to drop ~$3k +.

I bought a USED mid grade gun to see if I liked it BEFORE I drooped a bucket-o-cash on a new build. My rationale was that if i didn't like it or really did and wanted to move to a custom build I could sell for close to what I invested. I wasn't ready to drop ~$3k +.

I also bought a slightly used (6000 shots fired) gun for my first open gun. It was the best buy I have ever made with guns. I learned to shoot with it and after that I knew what kind of custom made open gun I wanted.

Thanks guys for your valued input, I have made a deposit for an Open Gun build by Brazos. Bob spent alot of time with me going over options. When have yet to finalize any real specifics on the gun .The biggest being caliber..going in I was dead set on 9mm...After reading posts on the subject and speaking with Bob I am less sure as it sounds like lots of trade offs. Fortunately I have about 9 months to figure the caliber Question out. Bob recommends 38sc as the ideal performance wise and more options on the build itself. He will not build a shorty in 9mm. He stated the gun will shoot flatter, softer and last longer if it is not 9mm. I will weight this info out carefully.The gun is a year away..I have friends that wont wait that long for a gun...realistically it will be 2012 before I can compete with it, but it should be worth it.

I did look on line looking for 38sc brass and noticed none is available. I will be watching the availability carefully over the next months as that will weigh into the decision.

More opinions are welcome...

Thanks guys for your valued input, I have made a deposit for an Open Gun build by Brazos. Bob spent alot of time with me going over options. When have yet to finalize any real specifics on the gun .The biggest being caliber..going in I was dead set on 9mm...After reading posts on the subject and speaking with Bob I am less sure as it sounds like lots of trade offs. Fortunately I have about 9 months to figure the caliber Question out. Bob recommends 38sc as the ideal performance wise and more options on the build itself. He will not build a shorty in 9mm. He stated the gun will shoot flatter, softer and last longer if it is not 9mm. I will weight this info out carefully.The gun is a year away..I have friends that wont wait that long for a gun...realistically it will be 2012 before I can compete with it, but it should be worth it.

I did look on line looking for 38sc brass and noticed none is available. I will be watching the availability carefully over the next months as that will weigh into the decision.

2 1/2 years ago I started with 500 38SC brass, I bought 2K of new brass. I went to an RO class. Last year I ro'ed 3 major matches and this year 2 major matches. I shot 6 majors last year and 4 this year. Strarting to sound like I dropped a lot of brass isn't it. The reality is I have 3K in the 38SC brass pool and 1500 of the 2K I bought new. You thinking but he don't shoot much, ok check my classifiers A62392. I'll say it again you can't beat 38SC its just better and cheaper than 9 major. You do have to mark them and pick them up which at 62 I'd rather not do. I have 3 open guns 2 shoot 38SC or 9 mm and one is just 9 mm for now. I don't recommend 9 maj to a new open shooter or a new reloader, there is much to learn about loading these and after 6 months I'm finding out I don't know jack. I do have a shorty in 9 maj (extra top end) it shots nice but it bucks a bit, it happens to have a Brazos ThurnderComp on it no holes. The shorty sells lots of lens whipes, its hard to finish a 32rd COF and still see thru the lense. (has Quinn I mount). Get the 38SC lean to shoot it then when you are bored and want to dink with the gun put a 9 mm barrel and a comp on it and play.

Hello: I had a 9mm shorty and it ran great. I may be sorry I sold it :roflol: I just built up the Frankingun with a 5" barrel and is 9mm. It already shoots flatter than the shorty without any slide cuts or lightening or tuning. It is a project pistol and I will learn even more about 9mm open with it. I am also building a 5" 9mm open pistol to test some comps to see what works best for me. I like 9mm open since the brass is cheap or free(brass rat here). Powders for 9mm open are HS-6 and Solhouette and maybe 3N37. Mags can be a problem but not any worse than other double stack S_I's. If I was starting over I would get a 5" 9mm open pistol with a light slide. The 5" I think can do more than the shorty and it also takes less powder. My second choice would be a 5" in 38 super comp if I got the brass back :devil: Thanks, Eric

...who should I be looking at to do the build? Does anyone specialize in 9mm open guns?...

Bobby Keigans at FGW is building some really awesome 9mm Major guns now... I can't believe how flat shooting they are!! Check out this vid of his wife running a stage with a gun he built for her...

38SC brass availability has been off and on for the last year or so, but not terrible. You could normally get it within a month or so. It's actually available right now, at one of the bigger suppliers. Starline is pretty conservative with their backorder dates, so I wouldn't worry too much if you go with 38SC. It's really just a matter of planning ahead a little bit. R,

I had a friend who was shooting 9mm Major.

He had a terrible time reloading his ammo. Major required him to almost completely fill the case. His 1050 was too jerky and he ended up loading it on a 550. WHATMEWORRY chime in here. Did Mike G use a 550 or SD? He was bouncing powder everywhere. Then he had to barely seat his bullets. As some will tell you, I am extremely lazy about reloading. I get a formula/recipe that works and I just stick with it. I do not do a lot of experimenting around.

The initial investment in 38SC brass is a pain in the A!#$^!^ but you can reload it forever.

Matt McLearn and JoJo V. also build nice 9mm guns. But since you are going with Bob you will not be disappointed.

Paul: I load on a RL1050 and it works fine. I load to 1.170" OAL with HS-6,Silhouette and 3N37. No problem with spillage. Part of the fun of shooting for me is tinkering with loads and building pistols. I will try different things to try to find the best setup. I did the same when I used to race cars and downhill ski race. I will also say that Benny Hill has made some great 9mm open pistols for some very well known shooters :cheers: He made a open steel 9mm pistol that has a slide that is crazy light. It has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese :roflol: Thanks, Eric

...who should I be looking at to do the build? Does anyone specialize in 9mm open guns?...

Bobby Keigans at FGW is building some really awesome 9mm Major guns now... I can't believe how flat shooting they are!! Check out this vid of his wife running a stage with a gun he built for her...

Nice video thtat gun moves about as much as a airsoft gun! NICE

38SC brass availability has been off and on for the last year or so, but not terrible. You could normally get it within a month or so. It's actually available right now, at one of the bigger suppliers. Starline is pretty conservative with their backorder dates, so I wouldn't worry too much if you go with 38SC. It's really just a matter of planning ahead a little bit. R,

Yep If I decide to go 38sc anytime soon I will start getting brass long before the gun gets built. Part of my gut feeling is Bob designed his guns around the 38super and 38sc and if I want to take full advantage of the evolution of his work i should get that caliber...decisions decisions!!

I placed two orders for .38 SC brass from Starline in the last couple months. Both times it was 'on backorder', and both times I received it about 10 days or so before the date listed on the website. I don't think you'll have trouble finding it, so long as you don't wait till the last moment.

I just started shooting Open myself about 3 months ago. I was leaning towards a 9mm major gun, but then a friend had a nice .38SC for sale. I bought it and haven't looked back. The load I'm using (7.8-9 grains Autocomp + MG 124 gr JHP) doesn't come close to filling the case, so I don't have any problems with powder spillage.

Yes, picking up brass does suck, no question. But my friends and I all mark our cases uniquely, and we help each other pick them up at local matches. When I practice, I ususally stop every 150 rounds or so to pick up brass, which gives the gun a chance to cool down. I'm pretty happy with .38SC, but I'd probably have made 9mm work too...

Art

• 1 month later...