Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My job involves snow removal in the winter and my employer has signed on with an internet weather monitoring company to the tune of $2000 a year.

I looked at Weatherbug which is free. It seems to provide about the same quality of service.

Anybody have any experience with Weatherbug? Any pros or cons? Accurate? Reliable?

I talked to my boss about this and told him I would ask around about it. He asked where could I possibly find that kind of info.

He obviously doesn't know the power of the Benos network!:cheers:

My job involves snow removal in the winter and my employer has signed on with an internet weather monitoring company to the tune of $2000 a year.

I looked at Weatherbug which is free. It seems to provide about the same quality of service.

Anybody have any experience with Weatherbug? Any pros or cons? Accurate? Reliable?

I talked to my boss about this and told him I would ask around about it. He asked where could I possibly find that kind of info.

He obviously doesn't know the power of the Benos network!:cheers:

I've used Weatherbug for two years on my IPhone. Never used it to forecast snow, but it has worked 99% of time when I activitated it. Many of the local TV stations have apps now so I use WHIOTV for weather and local conditions more than weatherbug.

I farm and trade cotton, so weather is a major concern for me year round. I've found the Weather Underground and Accuweather websites to be the best sources for weather info, Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/)has great mobile and iphone versions you can bookmark on your phone, and Accuweather has a great app available. WeatherEye is worth a look, as is the Weather Channel app. I also have Weather Bug, but find that the combination of Weather Underground and Accuweather provide much better and more in depth information than any of the other apps/sites.

I use it on my iPad only because the weather channel app was randomly making noises all hours of the day and night. For the life of me I couldn't shut it up. I switched to Weatherbug.

Weatherbug has up to date radar and so far has been as accurate as any other weather service I have used. Having said that, my life doesn't depend on super accurate weather reports.

I had it on my Blackberry and loved it. Since I went to a Droid X, I have not added it since because I was trying The Weather Channel. But I think I will go back to Weatherbug. Was using it last year at the Mississippi Classic when we had some weather move in, and was able to watch the radar to see where we were in relation to the storm. Was great.

Mark K.

One other thing - if you google "personal weather stations" and "CoCoRoHas" you can find great networks of local weather stations that report temp, rainfall, wind, snow depth, etc. Weather Underground has a map of personal weather stations that helps you pinpoint conditions in any given area, and there are a couple of Ham radio networks that can provide detailed local data.

If you're looking for mobile apps there's a lot of them like weather bug or weather.com apps.

But if you're running a browser I've found that forcastfox plugin for firefox is great. It's gotten better over the last little bit too tied in directly with accuweather and it's always on while you're online.

my $.02

Thanks everybody. I have checked most of your recommendations and it seems we can get just as good a service for free. My biggest concern is good Radar and it seems they all are pretty good. We have trucks out salting roads all night long and it is good to know when the snow will be winding down.

Thank all of you VERY MUCH!

Sorry to be late to the party. I use several, and on my phone, I use some of the ones others have listed. But when I want really good data and info, travel plans, etc., I use: http://www.intellicast.com/

They give all kinds of weather maps and forcasts. They have some that no-one else has including a current snow cover map as well as a 24 and 48 hour snow cover and snowfall predictor. In fact I just used it to check weather and snow for an elk hunt.

Thanks everybody. I have checked most of your recommendations and it seems we can get just as good a service for free. My biggest concern is good Radar and it seems they all are pretty good. We have trucks out salting roads all night long and it is good to know when the snow will be winding down.

Thank all of you VERY MUCH!

All the radar feeds come from the sames source(s), I think ? (regional Doppler)

Since I ride the motorcycle, I have a quick link to a google search for "weather columbus ohio". I hit that, then check about 3 or so websites.

• 3 weeks later...

For mobile devices, I like weather bug. I actually paid for it to ditch the ads. Main reason I like it better is the radar map, it has more detail than most of the compeitors the last time I checked, although the weather channel app was supposed to get an update to improve theirs. 

For the desktop, I just use any of a number of web sites. Between the weather channel and weather underground, I usually don't have to go anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...