Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 3-gun, M&P 9 sight recommendations

Blackfin2

Hello to all,

I am about to start competing in 3-gun events and any other opportunity to shoot. I just ordered a M&P 9, once it arrives, I will have all the nessecary work done to it to make it competitive. MY competition skills will be in constant development. What sights are recommended for this gun, all black (Front and rear), wide blade front with FO and wide gap fixed or adjustable rear, or narrow FO front and narrow rear with dots, (fixed or adjustable)?

ANy and all responses will be read and adhered too. Its always best to ask first then adapt.

Thanks to all and I look forward to possibly meeting you all on the range.\

With Kind Regards,

Wayne

Personally, I have shot tritium, fiber optic front/rear, black combat, orange paint on front combat, etc, etc...

Now, all my competition handguns get Dawson black adj rear, and dawson slim front with green fiber. Everything looks the same then. Plus, it is a quality product, not that others aren't, but I just had good luck with Dawson, and stuck with'em.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! :cheers:

It's a great place to get your questions answered.

Edit to add: The adjustable rear is paramount for competition whichever sights you go with, you might end up changing your loads due to availabilty of components (if reloading), or finding a better ammo, you will probably have a point of impact shift, and would need to adjust accordingly.

Edited by Kyle O

[

Thank you for the quick reply, I get the need for the adjustable rear, but what is the reasoning behind having no dots on rear, only on front. IS is due to the busy-ness of dots when figure 8ing the impact point? Can you explain with me being a pain in the rump?

Thank you

Wayne

quote name=Kyle O' timestamp='1289870065' post='1330570]

Personally, I have shot tritium, fiber optic front/rear, black combat, orange paint on front combat, etc, etc...

Now, all my competition handguns get Dawson black adj rear, and dawson slim front with green fiber. Everything looks the same then. Plus, it is a quality product, not that others aren't, but I just had good luck with Dawson, and stuck with'em.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! :cheers:

It's a great place to get your questions answered.

Edit to add: The adjustable rear is paramount for competition whichever sights you go with, you might end up changing your loads due to availabilty of components (if reloading), or finding a better ammo, you will probably have a point of impact shift, and would need to adjust accordingly.

I just really look for the front sight, and focus on it alone when shifting focus. to me it just feels right. I've used three dot sights, and it just seemed like it took more of my attention away from front sight focus.

Others have what works for them, and some are much faster than I, it seems it is a very personal thing. But, do go adjustable.

Plain black fixed Dawson on the rear with wide notch and .190 tall/.100 wide Dawson red FO front on my 9L.

The fixed rear was .240 tall, same as the factory rear. My factory front was a .190 although some come with a

.180 I have been told. Use calipers to measure before ordering....unless you go with the adjustable rear which makes it a non-issue.

Craig

I use wide notch factory/Novak rear, Novak green FO front.

I found better front sight focus when I blacked out the white dots on the rear sight with a sharpie.

When I move up to an MP pro from my MP9 in the future I plan to go to a more competition sight set up so I will be watching this thread and other sight threads for ideas.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

I like my Dawson .100 front sight, so far I don't have a problem with the factory rear sight of the Pro. I don't like dots on the rear sight, I find them distracting.

<----- Sight picture looks like this

Edited by Six

I like my Dawson .100 front sight, so far I don't have a problem with the factory rear sight of the Pro. I don't like dots on the rear sight, I find them distracting.

<----- Sight picture looks like this

YES YES, YOU SEE, WHAT I SEE! :cheers:

Try blackening the two factory dots on the rear sight, see if the sights hit for you. I have left my 4.25" M&P alone as the sights shoot pretty well. I have a 10-8 rear and S&W Pro green fiber optic front on my M&P9L, wide round bottom rear notch works like a ghost ring. You can still focus on the top edges of both sights for precision.

My 9mm M&P wears Dawson sights.

Rear 018-020 = Target fixed with .115 notch

Front 021-037 = Fiberoptic with .125 x .180

This combination works great with almost any 9mm load. It is drift adjustable. I have not found a need for a fully adjustable rear with the m&P 9.