Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Winternationals

Chuck D

After trying for three years,I've finally aquired a slot to this years Winternationals. After receiving my slot verification from S&W I find out that wearing a baseball hat while shooting has become a mandatory requirement. Reason given...better protect myself from hot brass possibly hitting me in the head and/or getting behind my shooting glasses. Have we come so far as to deem manditory certain items of clothing? I can see safety glasses and hearing protection....but a hat? Makes me wonder if this match is worth the effort.

Chuck,

I've shot it the last two years and thought it was worth it.  As most tactical training academies (and the S&W Academy is one) require a baseball cap to attend a training course, I suspect that the requirement applies to the match as well ---- probably to satisfy some insurance policy.  I hope to see you there, I'm shooting on Squad 4 on Thursday.

Good Point Ted. I guess if it was relayed to me as a condition of entry BEFORE i mailed in my entry...it wouldn't be an issue for me. Besides, I'm shooting SSR division and it would be a major change in the law of physics for an empty case to jump out of the cylinder and lodge itself between my eye and my glasses but who knows....anything CAN happen I guess. Not only will I wear a hat but to be a good sport, I'll wear a S&W hat.

(Edited by Chuck D at 10:16 am on Jan. 30, 2003)

(Edited by Chuck D at 10:20 am on Jan. 30, 2003)

I was thinking of sewing a USPSA patch on my tac-vest ( as a good natured gesture of course) but I was afraid of being assessed a FTDR penalty. All kidding aside, I look forward to the match. In the true "spirit" of the match, I'll be using a snub nose S&W model 19, my REAL carry gun...

Quote: from Chuck D on 12:13 pm on Jan. 30, 2003

I was thinking of sewing a USPSA patch on my tac-vest......In the true "spirit" of the match, I'll be using a snub nose S&W model 19, my REAL carry gun...

You should wear the patch. The sooner everyone realizes we're all the same family the better.  YOu should see the looks I get at my nice USPSA sticker on my truck.

I got rid of my 2-1/2 model 19's in favor of 3" guns (my carry piece)  That's what I shoot in idpa too.

Ted

(Edited by Ted Murphy at 12:38 pm on Jan. 30, 2003)

Ted

You gamer you.  That extra 1/2 inch of barrel, now there's a gamer for you.  If you were really tactical, you would screw out the barrel entirely and shoot it like that.  It would be lots more concealable.  Now that muzzle blast and flash, that's another issue.

Quote: from tightloop on 1:08 pm on Jan. 30, 2003

Ted

You gamer you.  That extra 1/2 inch of barrel, now there's a gamer for you.  If you were really tactical, you would screw out the barrel entirely and shoot it like that.  It would be lots more concealable.  Now that muzzle blast and flash, that's another issue.

Don't forget the heavy barrel.  

Actually the gun was a 4" but the forcing cone was shot.  I had it rebarreled and found a nice, new 3" tube to replace it with.  

I like the 3" guns over the 2.5's cause of the full length extration.

Ted

Humm, require us to wear a hat, they could give out free match hats! what a concept. next thing you know they'll require us to wear pants! :-)

I hate wearing a hat, but i do so in IDPA and USPSA as it keeps things away from my eyes and decreases glare.

just to be a jerk, what if you wear your had backwards if they have no stipulations on how you must wear your had. a hat can get in the way big time when your prone, or in certain dark conditions, where you want the most light possible.

Steve

Quote: from smoney on 10:02 am on Feb. 2, 2003

I hate wearing a hat, but i do so in IDPA and USPSA as it keeps things away from my eyes and decreases glare.

just to be a jerk, what if you wear your had backwards if they have no stipulations on how you must wear your had. a hat can get in the way big time when your prone, or in certain dark conditions, where you want the most light possible.

Steve

They can always apply the Failure To Conform To What I Said or Meant (FTDR) penalty!

Quote: from smoney on 1:02 pm on Feb. 2, 2003

just to be a jerk, what if you wear your had backwards if they have no stipulations on how you must wear your had.

They do tell you to wear it forwards in the match briefing.  In the past, they have let you take it off during prone stages.

Ted

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, maybe I should consider not wearing my World Shoot XIII vest as my concealment garment!  Maybe I can write "IDPA" on the other side or something.  Actually, I'm looking forward to something different.  At least my gun is "tactically correct."  My duty gun, a Glock 22 with a cracked frame!  At least I won't get accused of an equipment advantage!

Phil Strader

A-16444 (I think)

A follow-up on the match, I called to ask "why"...I received an answer in so many words that consisted of...because we say so. Needless to say, I never attended,nor will I in the future. They can keep the entry fee...never bothered to ask for it back. I would be able to live with the ruling if I wasn't treated like a 9 year old when I DARED to question the practice.