Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lets talk 2011 Mags

Corey

While im still debating a new SS gun this winter, I think Ive decided that my next adventur will be in Limited. Being me and wanting to be prepared, Ive already started researching things on obviously different guns but mags as well. I amn wanting mags that will super reliable but also be able to hold the maximum amount of rounds as possible. Im not sure if I want to just call FGW when the time comes and order a set of 4 mags and be done with it (but also spend a good deal of $$) or go about buying tubes and guts for them and doing things myself so to speak. I've thought about buying some STI tubes from Brownells and then pickin up some Dawson +1 basepads and the Grams spring/follower kits from ShootersConnection. am i on the right thought track here? The 2011 hi-cap is going to be new to me so i want to do my hw early and be prepared over the winter for when i make the transition sometime next year.

Thanks!

Corey,

Its hard to beat tuned mags. I get mine from Bob L. (Brazos) and they just flat out run. I have never even had a hiccup with them. The cost seems a bit much at first but I learned my lesson by trying the DIY approach first. In the long run Bob's was the best deal for me.

Oh, and they look good...and thats half the battle! :goof:

Steve

Buy SV 140 tubes. buy bolen followers, spring and the 4mm base pad. Buy a mag gauge from egw.

+1 but I like Grams base pads. No need to fight the spring taking the base pad off. Grams come straight down when removing them.

Pat

Your going to spend around $101.00 - $104.00 ea. (SNL Base Pad Grams guts and STI tube) + shipping putting the mags together yourself. When for another $25.00 you can have tuned mags that run flawless and be worry free!

P.S. if I am spending $2300.00 + on a Limited gun an extra $100.00 on tuned mags vs putting mags together is nothing.

Edited by bkeeler

I can get a reduced price on some tubes and shipping isnt a terribly big deal. im just wondering if the few dollars saved would be worth it or not. I suppose i could always buy a set of mags from a good source, then build one of my own for comparision ( i like to tinker with stuff).

Your going to spend around $101.00 - $104.00 ea. (SNL Base Pad Grams guts and STI tube) + shipping putting the mags together yourself. When for another $25.00 you can have tuned mags that run flawless and be worry free!

P.S. if I am spending $2300.00 + on a Limited gun an extra $100.00 on tuned mags vs putting mags together is nothing.

Agreed.

I can get a reduced price on some tubes and shipping isnt a terribly big deal. im just wondering if the few dollars saved would be worth it or not. I suppose i could always buy a set of mags from a good source, then build one of my own for comparision ( i like to tinker with stuff).

I've assembled a handful of mags (both STI and SV) with the various parts mentioned, and gotten 20 in them, 100% reliable. I also put together some with Rescomp tubes (not at the crazy price they're charging for them now...I paid about $40 each) with Grams 2.5mm basepads and 11-coil spring/follower, and I get 21 in those...I use them sparingly as the tubes aren't quite as durable as STI tubes. That said, I do also have four or five tuned mags. R,

If you like to tinker then skip the tuned mags. I only have 1 tuned mag the rest I put together all run 100% with 20 rounds (SNL Basepads and grams guts). If I was to do it again I would purchase all tuned mags.

Also most of the time I start off with 20 in the mag but it is pretty rare that I have to load to a 20 rd mag most of those I just put 19 in which makes it easier to seat.

Edited by bkeeler

Can i pretty much expect a reloadable 20 rounds in most of the mags I'd be looking at?

I have a set of FGW tuned mags. They all hold 20, but are only reloadable at 19. But in reality, when are you ever going to fire 21 rounds AFTER your reload while shooting limited? If you are, you're doing something wrong. :roflol:

I started off with buying just the tubes, springs, and follower methodology. They worked OK but my FGW tuned mags have been 100%. They all hold 20 reloadable (Bolens springs and followers) and I can get 21 in a couple of them and get them to seat in the gun for the start of a stage if so desired. I also have a Rescomp tuned tube that is 21 reloadable, I can get 22 in it but I can't get it seated in the gun.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone straight to the tuned FGW mags and been done with it.

I have all SV tubes for my Limited guns. SV tubes,with Gram's springs, followers and base pads all hold 20 rounds and fit the guauge. I only load 19 rounds for reloads. Mags have run 100% since I put them together 5 years ago. I don't have any experience with the tubes they are currently making.

I bought 140mm .40 STI tubes and tried Grams and STI internals and have not been able to get the followers to fit without a little filing. Anyone know is this normal, or have I had bad luck with out of spec tubes? Filing followers is a pain in the ass.

Can i pretty much expect a reloadable 20 rounds in most of the mags I'd be looking at?

Probably not. One of my Dawson Tuned mags will hold 20 but it cannot even be crammed in up against the slide with 20 rounds in it. The rest will hold 19 reloadable, which I typically download to 18 or it's a real bear to get them to seat.

I do intend to change my followers, though. Perhaps there's one more round to be squeezed from the mags with Dawson followers.

Mine have Dawson tuned tubes, SNL base pads and STI followers and springs.

I never buy tuned mags, i have tried but they weren't any more reliable than what i can do.

If you can polish and adjust your feedlip dimensions you are good to go. Mag bodies that are out of spec get sent back. All of my 140 mags hold 21, with most at a 21 reloadable. I've never had mag issues at any major match. To each their own.

Corey,

I'm of the opinion that if you're spending $2k plus on a gun, mags best not need tuning. When I owned one gun from Tripp Research that would absolutely feed out of any mag that I stuck in it, I felt lucky. Now I have 2 customs from TR and both will feed from any mag with any follower, any spring and virtually any feed lip gap that will hold the round.

Ask your gunsmith if they require tuned mags... if the answer is yes, perhaps reevaluation of your smith is in order.

I never buy tuned mags, i have tried but they weren't any more reliable than what i can do.

If you can polish and adjust your feedlip dimensions you are good to go. Mag bodies that are out of spec get sent back. All of my 140 mags hold 21, with most at a 21 reloadable. I've never had mag issues at any major match. To each their own.

Maybe I should send my mags to you?

thanks for the input guys. I've been talking with Matt Cheely and will probably have him doing the work for me. Ill discuss the options with him as well before I make any decisions, but as i saod, i like getting info early.

Maybe I should send my mags to you?

Sure 250$ for my time for each mag.. that's my usual hourly rate. Honestly, i just can't see spending the money on tuned mags. Hell, i even bought a mag a couple of years ago at nationals, an sv tube and bolen parts from Derek, J. at millenium. It ran perfectly with no special tuning needed.