Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked My G35

chp5

I shot my G35 in Limited for my first USPSA season last year. Tonight I was dry firing and it was making strange sounds. Upon investigation, I discovered the slide was cracked on the breech face. It's a bad pic, but you can see the shiny part of the breech face seperated from the slide.

107282.jpg

I cracked a G27 slide in the exact same way. Glock replaced it without question. I hope they do the same for this G35.

I estimate the G35 had 20,000 rounds through it.

UPDATE:

I took my cracked G35 slide to Glock's US HQ here in the Atlanta area. I spoke with a tech named David (not Sevigney!).

He agree to replace the slide with no problems. :D They will mail me one in a couple of days.

David also said that, if I dry fire a lot, to use snap caps. Go figure.

You got to like Glock customer service! :wub:

David also said that, if I dry fire a lot, to use snap caps.  Go figure.

So, the implication is that dry firing will break the breechface out from the back?

Are your spring cups getting the crap beat out of them or anything?

So, the implication is that dry firing will break the breechface out from the back?

Apparently, yes.

It seems unlikely that dry firing is the cause. I've never used snap caps, but the cost is minimal so I'll give it a try anyway.

Nobody will ever convince me that metal to metal dry firing is a good thing. I also don't think doing a lot of dry firing is much of an aid. If you want to learn the gun do live fire. Watch the front sight and learn the recoil.

If you want to practice don't "cock" the Glock. Leave the trigger in the fired position and pull it. Just watch for movement in the front sight.

Hey, cock the Glock even rhymes.;)

Everybody knows that Glocks are plastic junk. Why don't you get a real gun like a STI Edge.

I have one. It's a great gun and a safe queen. I just like the light weight of a Glock and I haven't got used to the comparatively heavy wieght of the Edge . . . and no, I'm not selling it :)

I never cracked a Glock, but I destroyed a slide by using a 357 barrel on an old 40 frame with the short frame block. As the barrel pivoted, the frame would flex, and the block and the slide impacted. This peened the crap out of the slide walls near the rails.

Glock slides are surface hardened only. They are not designed to take metal-on-metal impact. Such impact will easily break through the hard part of the metal. Dry firing MAY be the culprit here.