Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First SBR build

1911vm

I have been considering my first SBR build. My first stumbling block is the barrel length and type. At what length does the rifle becomes a high caliber hand gun with stuff on it :surprise: . What is the shortest barrel length that I can use and still have 1-2 in moa. And should the barrel be Stainless, chromed or hammer forged? I am sure I will have more questions but one at a time.

I like the 10.3" barrels myself, and in the accuracy range you're wanting, should fit the bill nicely. Hammer forged + chrome is better for long life, however, unless you're burning ammo like it's a SAW, you'll likely get a solid 8K rounds through it before it opens up beyond 2MOA.

Ken

I have 1000 dollars that I can commit to this project. where would the money be best spend ? I have a good bottom half which may need a better triger. most of the money would be tied up in the upper.

Edited by 1911vm

I have 1000 dollars that I can commit to this project. where would the money be best spend ?

unfortunately, 20% of that goes to the gubment.

-rvb

okay so I forgot about that .how about not counting the donation to the government

_LOL

Around 9 inches is where .223 velocity starts to drop like a rock. There's a fairly gradual curve until you get to about 8.75 inches, then it just plummets. I run a 10.5' barrel on my SBR. If wanting a 7" barrel (also a pretty popular option), IMO you'd be better off with a 9mm (bigger bullet). I used to have a chart with various barrel lengths chrono'd that I found somewhere on the net, if I can find it again I'll send it to you.

DanO

Be advised if you are planning on running a suppressor on the end of your sbr, check with your can manufacturer. Many will not warranty their cans on a barrel shorter than 11.5-10.5. It varies but depending on the barrel maker, twist rate, ammo etc. you can get baffle strikes in a really short barrel (less than 10)

As to barrel accuracy. You will get just as much mechanical accuracy out of a 5" inch barrel as the same barrel 24" long...arguably more since it will be exponentially stiffer. You will have much more ballistic degradation from the shorter barrel which only relates to how you choose to zero the optics/sights.

As an example, I can just as easily hit a 6" plate at 300 yds with my 11", 16", and 20" barrels I am simply holding more elevation for the shorter barrels.

I remember reading an article in Shotgun News last year about a guy's SBR build. He had Noveske do it, and the man himself told him that if he was using a suppressor, anything less than 12.5" wasn't worth doing. I don't recall if he went into exactly why, though. The guy in the article ended up using a VLTOR MUR upper, Noveske barrel, & Surefire suppressor, & having it all put together by Noveske.

I went 11.5 on a smart dudes advice. Polite Society inc. had done chrono work and from a 10 to a 11.5 there was around a 170ish increase in velocity with xm193. I handled both and the 1.5 extra was insignif. Lastly, I run a can on it and the longer barrel isn't as harsh.

Went with a 10.5 inch here. I went against the grain and built it with local doublestar parts. It runs like a champ without any tweeking. I did upgrade to a spikes tactical H2 buffer to smooth it out but it runs on a carbine buffer as well. Feeds anything from xm193 to wolf without a hitch

Went with a 10.5 inch here. I went against the grain and built it with local doublestar parts. It runs like a champ without any tweeking. I did upgrade to a spikes tactical H2 buffer to smooth it out but it runs on a carbine buffer as well. Feeds anything from xm193 to wolf without a hitch

I am considering also getting a suppressor and was tould that I should may be think about a piston because it will run more reliably with a can than a gas gun.

A suppressed AR15 runs filthy, piston or no piston. Tons of crap comes back through the chamber. I see no real benefit to a piston system in an AR15.

As I am building from scratch is one better then the other? And I I thought that piston had a adjustment to switch from can to no can?

It depends on who you ask... I personnally like both for different reasons. For my SBR/Suppressed project I decided on an Adams Arms piston kit. It does hsve two gas settings and it has so far been very satisfactory. I have also been running a rifle length gas AA piston kit along side a DI gun, both of witch are similarly outfitted for 3-gun and have come to appreciate the AA kit for it cleanlyness and lack of heat in the reciever, with no ill efects to accuracy. I have no complaints on the DI gun and will continue to use it as well (with more frequent cleanings).

Edited to add my reply to your original question. I went with an 11.5"

Edited by mpeltier