Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diffusion Choke

mike_pinto

Just wanted to pass along some info that may help out when trying to speed up on shotgun stages. The Diffusion choke by Briley has made a huge difference in quite a few folks stage times. The choke is Skeet constriction and has rifled grooves that starts the shot spinning which makes a wider but very consistent pattern. Not saying this is the end all be all choke tube for every stage, but if you want an option to spreaders and want to speed up your shots, give this one a try. You will see some familiar faces running this choke very soon.

M

Just wanted to pass along some info that may help out when trying to speed up on shotgun stages. The Diffusion choke by Briley has made a huge difference in quite a few folks stage times. The choke is Skeet constriction and has rifled grooves that starts the shot spinning which makes a wider but very consistent pattern. Not saying this is the end all be all choke tube for every stage, but if you want an option to spreaders and want to speed up your shots, give this one a try. You will see some familiar faces running this choke very soon.

M

Mike, is this what you and your guys ran on most of the clay stages in Arkansas?

Yessir. There were a couple times that I was a bit off when I squeezed the trigger and still broke the clay. I used to use diffusion when I shot skeet and wasn't sure how it would work in 3-gun. I ran it all year on probably 70% of the stages I shot this year and it was awesome.

I am pretty sure Sean at power factor here on enos sells them. I would pick one up for sure. The great thing is that you don't have to worry about carrying spreaders or any other type of shell to the matches.

M

Have you examined any of you wads to see if they were "stripping"? Rifled chokes barely work with solid mass such as slugs. Do you really think that the shot column is rigid enough to have its rotational velocity, increases from zero to whatever in 1-2 inchs?

I don't know all the particulars, but I do know the pattern is about 20% larger at 10 yards then with my cylinder choke and there are no holes in the pattern from a 21" barrel with aa 1300 fps 1 1/8oz 7.5's. The cool thing is that at 20 yards, my pattern is smaller but more dense with the diffusion than with that same cylinder choke. If that makes the shot column rigid enough to increase its rotation, then I guess the answer is yes. :) I believe in tried and true products that give an advantage to the shooter and this choke will and does. I am not sponsored by Briley, I don't work for them, and I pay for my product from them the same as anyone else, so this is just a write up about a great product.

M

Been using one for a couple years now-dont buy spreaders any more. But i do not shoot slugs through this choke...

Actually that was my next question, why can’t you use it for slugs. In several matches that I have been in you cannot change chokes during the match. And all matches have one or more slug stages.

Been using one for a couple years now-dont buy spreaders any more. But i do not shoot slugs through this choke...

Actually that was my next question, why can’t you use it for slugs. In several matches that I have been in you cannot change chokes during the match. And all matches have one or more slug stages.

Wow. I have never been to a match that dictated no choke changing. I like it, but never seen it. I would shoot the diffusion on every stage I have shot this year, and I shot 6 majors and at least a dozen local..

M

Hey I Love Briley-- Use a four gauge set for my Krieghoff. Help me out though. Your pattern is wider at 10 yds than 20 yds?? Gotta run this one past the Skeet club. All skeet chokes have a tighter pattern than cyclinder. Most shot guns rarely shoot center of pattern to poi. This is what you pay Briley for when you get it a barrel set. Even then it can change with a change in the load type, shot hardness, powder rate etc. Did you pattern 10 of the same loads on a pattern board? Even when using a rear sight that will "shift" the poi it changes with distance. Most removable barrels are not trued to the action. Hey if it works for you -- use it.

Ok I'm with you now. Sounds to me like the choke is breaking the wads leaves giving the wad more drag thus the shot column is leaving the wad sooner and less compression is on the shot distorting it less thus giving more uniform patterns. Do they make them in 410 for skeet?

Sean recommended one for my SX3 and it works very well. I have shot it with very good results. I did try it with slugs and it seemed to fight the rifling on the slug. They were all over the place. Now if we can't change chokes during a match I don't use the diffusion choke when there are slugs on a stage.

I tried it for skeet when I was shooting it and was not that impressed with it. I would typically shoot chokes closer to IC than Skeet in cylinder. For doubles, the chokes were tightened up closer to a LM for the second shot. In 410, you do not want super loose chokes in skeet. Alot try to shoot cylinder or maby 3 thousands and run into problems in the 410 especially for doubles. By doubles chokes in 410 ranged from IC to Mod

Just didnt get the breaks I wanted with the Difusion choke. It was chipping away more than I liked. It made it much harder to read your hits on the target when your not getting as good of breaks. I would typically choke for smoke for the added confidence. For the 410, the chokes can depend on the ammo you use. Of the big 3, federal usually patterns the most open and needs the most choke, then winchester, then remington patterns the tightest.

True on the chips. No doubt. I am from the school of a chip is still dead! :) I did have some amigos that liked powder..

For 3 gun though, a chip usually causes the clay to fall, which is all we need.

Cheers.

M

Edited by mike_pinto