Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two uppers for one frame

jh9

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a gen 4 G17 for general use, and adding a LW G24 top end for Limited.

Is there any danger (e.g. irregular wear) to regularly swapping two top ends on one frame?

Your going too need to change the ejector/trigger housing when yhou switch calibers. The LW 24 upper is definately nice. Pay the extra and get the slide blind marked so no ugly logo on the side of the slide. Put one on mine and it worked right from the get go and was a drop in fit. No "gunsmith fitting" required because the FP safety hole was too small and the striker rubbed on the side of the hole in the breechface like another brand I had.

• 4 weeks later...

Does LW make a G4 compatable slide? If not, you should probably check with LW to make sure they are actually compatable.

You won't be able to go all the way with triggers (2-3# range), which is no big deal, unless you get lucky. Unless you are shooting IDPA or USPSA production, you can go with a G22 or G35 and get a lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. Cheaper and reliable.

It’s not a gen4 model but I put a LW G20 6” slide on my G21SF and coupled with the .40 S&W LW barrel it’s very smooth. It will smoothly cycle anything from short (1.125”) minor rounds to major 1.200” rounds. The slide rails seem to have about the same amount of slop as the factory barrel, which to me is plenty fine for a production or limited gun. The striker channel diameter and the distance between the striker channel centerline and the slide rail is the same as the stock slide so my trigger feel and break is exactly the same with both slides. Make sure if you do buy one of their barrels to send them some dummy rounds of your ammo to make sure they fit. They needed to make the throats wider on my LW barrels to accommodate the wider bear creek bullets.

I don’t know how well the LW slides work with the gen4 frames though since I’ve never seen a gen4 gun (I live in California), probably about as well as the gen3 stock slides work on the gen4 frames.

Does LW make a G4 compatable slide? If not, you should probably check with LW to make sure they are actually compatable.

To follow up, this is the reply I received from Lone Wolf when asking about their top ends with gen4 frames:

Our slides and barrels work great with Gen 4 Glocks. If you are

going to use our slide(s) you will need to use a Gen 3 guide rod and

spring, the Gen 4 guide rod and spring will not work with our slides.

Dan

Armorer / Engraver

armorer@lonewolfdist.com

Lone Wolf Distributors Inc. <http://www.lonewolfdist.com/>

Phone: 208-437-0612

Fax: 888-279-2077

Still undecided if I want to go that route, but it's nice to know that it'll work.