Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green C-more Dot

lilbeauxdawg

A few friends and myself have been thinking if it would be better to have green dot module for our c-more's. Most of us switch from limited to open and we like to run green fiber optics in limited because we feel it is easier to see against brown targets. I'm just putting this up to see if anyone else feels the same way.

***this is not to argue which is better (red or green) just to see if anyone else would like a green dot***

thanks

lilB

Would be nice to have the option to switch back and forth

I can do this wih my turkey scope: Tru Glo Gobble Stopper

Sounds nice but be advised that there is a rather good possibility that going "green" will not just be an LED module swap. The optics will probably have to be changed also.

I do not own a C-More. Why would the optics need to be changed?

eta: link

Edited by sirveyr

Would be nice to have the option to switch back and forth

I can do this wih my turkey scope: Tru Glo Gobble Stopper

Sounds nice but be advised that there is a rather good possibility that going "green" will not just be an LED module swap. The optics will probably have to be changed also.

Because the glass has a coating and tint to it, this tint actually makes a red LED look a little orange and would make a green one look a little brown I would think. Theoretically it may be possible however... A call to C-More would clear up and optics questions and perhaps they even have tried it in prototype and have some laying around....

Alan

i think it was probably already thought of, but the early scopes that were being used were already using red dots(tasco pdp2 comes to mind) so it was already 'out there' with current commercially available scopes, why change??? an you have the shooting in the spring issue(green grass etc) that may wash out the dot??? and the certain segment ofthe population that is red/green color blind, i asked my friend how he handles stop lights...easy red on top green on bottom, its all shades of grey to him....

I said yes and would be willing to give it a try. Green lasers are significantly brighter than red lasers, but they also draw a lot more power. Not sure if I'd take one but have to swap batteries every third match. Be interesting to see what they could come up with. I know there is a lot of interest in blue lasers now as well. I would imagine red dots are red because they always have been. The first commercial visible lasers were red because it was a lot simpler to manage. I know a lot of three gun guys are running green LEDS and don't have any problems with grass.

As Alan pointed out, the coating on the lens is tuned to reflect the wavelength of the diode but it has to pass as much light through the lens so you can see what you are aiming at. The wider the bandwidth of the lens coating, the worse the transmissivity of the optic is. If the coating does not reflect most of the led light, you can see an internal reflection from the inside surface of the "front" of the lens. It is not a simple matter. There are a ton of secondary things that can up to a crappy dot.

Later,

Chuck

(I used to work on Head-Up displays for tactical aircraft)

Edited by ChuckS