Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm recoil spring

Tattoo

Mine is an STI, but not a factory built gun. I had a stock mainspring from some STI in my box of stuff and it was much heavier than the 17 pound one I put in it's place.

I can second that statemtent......spring just removed from eagle was heavier than 17.

This may be a dumb question, but would the suggestions in the thread also pertain to a 2011 in 9mm with a lightened slide?

Should,,,,,but keep in mind, we tune the gun to be reliable and to our taste......someone else's set up may not be optimum for you. get some springs and try one at a time with your load.

Here's what STI says on their websight. Hope this helps. Gabe

Compensated pistols 9 pounds

5" 9mm guns 12 pounds

5" .40 S&W guns 14 pounds

5" .45 ACP guns 16 pounds

6" 9mm guns 10 pounds

6" .40 S&W guns 12 pounds

6" .45 ACP guns 14 pounds

is the lenght the same for 5" and 6" pistols? I want to try some new springs in my 6" but don't now if I could use the springs for 5" pistols

gr T

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, been running a 9lb ISMI in my Trojan 9mm and while it felt ok I was hoping for a bit more slide velocity as it felt just a tad sluggish (125-130ish pf 115gr stuff). I picked up a 17lb mainspring too when I got the gun but hadn't bothered to try it as I thought it already had a 15lb mainspring from the factory, NOPE, stock spring was much stronger than the 17lber I just dropped in, my trigger was good before, now it's incredible, might have just found that extra slide speed I was after... can't wait to shoot it and see...

I run a 9# in my Sentry with factory loads. I ran a 10# also both functioned flawlessly, i just switched to the 9 haven't had a reason to change it out, i don't think there is a huge difference between the 9 or 10 spring in perceived recoil. I don't think there is a noticeable difference in slide speed between those 2 weight springs either but I may not pay attention to it enough to be able to tell the difference.

I've run 8, 9 and 11 in my 2011, 6" 9mm with lightened slide. All ran but I had a problem with the 11lb in the gun and all that was available was an 8. Put that in and gun ran fine. Had my builder look the gun over when I got home and he put a 9lb in it. I think it was a lube problem, I tried a new one - I know, dumb idea - and with my old lube it's run fine ever since.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm running a 9lb recoil spring and a 17lb mainspring in my Trojan 9mm. I think it came with a 12lb spring. The gunn barley moves. Here is a video that a friend shot of me shooting it. You can really tell in stage 2.

what power factor are you running I run a 147grain 9mm at 137 PF with a 11lb springer recoil spring . had a 9LB but on bill drills my spread averaged 10 inch or just a hair more went to a 12 now the average is about 5-6 inches 10 shot from the holster at 10 yards.