Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend a good Para smith

Alaskapopo

A friend of mine had some good work done on his Para at Freedom Gunworks. They are located in Georgia; you will have to ship it and I can't speak for lead time, but from what I hear they do good work. I have a GI Para, and I'm going to contact them about getting some Bomar cuts done there, and possibly getting my slide cut to run a sight tracker island barrel. I've shot Glock in my first few matches, but I'm starting to lean toward my Para now. I'll post a link to their homepage in case you are interested:

http://www.freedomgunworks.com/

As far as just a trigger job is concerned, look at Brownell's catalog. www.brownells.com. They have a multitude of upgrades available for 1911's. I bought some stuff for my Para from there. For advice on this, PM my buddy Roy Hess(go to my profile and he is on my friend's list). I'm pretty sure from talking to him and working with him he had his sternum split open and had "1911: I love John Browning" tattooed on his heart. He is also a Para shooter. He has a sweet freaking gun. Hope I could be of some help.

P.S. I don't know if there are any shipping difficulties to deal with due to stupid gun laws since you live in Alaska and Oh Canada separates us, I've spent my life in Ohio.

Just about any smith can work on a Para! It takes a good one to make them run. Does it feed and function 100% now? I bought a P16 lightly used and it needed ammo OAL changed to 1.2 before it was 100%. My 2 other Paras (both in .45) needed the mags tuned to run 100%

Good luck,

Richard

PS: My smith made my Paras work. I know 2 guys who had to sell there Paras because their well known smiths couldn't!

Edited by chirpy

If all you want is a trigger job I would just get a good drop in kit and just make light adjustments to the spring. I bought a Brazos kit when my sear/hammer went south and could not be happier.

+1 a good drop in kit will work good. I also like using the Infinity titanium sear spring which h will dramatically drop your trigger pull, even with the factory parts.

While on a huntong trip in Alaska my friends .308 cartridge fused in the chamber. He brought it to wild west guns in anchorage and they were able to take care of it. So its worth the phone call and not a terrible drive if you went that route.

By the way I loved Seward and cant wait for the next trip up there.