Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You See When Doing A Mag Change (picture)

SanduneCC

When doing a magazine change, I keep my gun in front of my face, eyes to the magwell. What I’m not sure is how much to tip the gun for optimum ease of entrance for the new mag. So please look at this picture and tell me what my eyes should be seeing – 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Inputs from Ms and GMs are highly sought after. Thank you. (I will post this thread to GT and BE forums)

Reload.jpg

In my dry-fire mag change practice, I try to swivel the gun until it looks something like your picture 2. I try to bring the gun to the point where I can see the inside edge of the right-hand-side of the magwell. Some people paint a bright white line along that inside right-hand edge to give the eyes a fast index point.

Also the muzzle is way to high from my perspective

I'm short! :(:blink::wacko:

LOL If you raise the barrel, it changes the angle and makes mag insertions more difficult, not anything to do with your height. If you watch the video of Travis you will see that the magazine goes strait in. To instert a mag into your gun with your pictures, you would have to bring the mag in at a pretty good angle, and that just complicates things.

If it's a double stack mag (which is naturally tapered) I can just slam it in from underneath without looking at the gun. For a single stack, I tip the bottom up enough that I can see the opening in the receiver, put my left index finger on the front of the mag as a guide, and "look" it into the gun as I insert.... but my guns don't have the fancy flared mag wells as shown in the picture (I'd think I could hit that from across the room). I had a few embarrassing moments with single stacks where I hung the front edge on the frame... don't do that any more.

I am very guilty of not looking. Part of my pre-stage self-talk is "Look the mag into the gun." Much more consistant when I look! :D When I see what I like, it is usually #2. I think as long as you can see the far side of the mag well, you're golden.

Ron, you need to get out more! In practice I've yet to burn home a sub second reload.

I'm a 2.

You need to see the full lip of the magwell (the bottom lip) but you don't want to go much if any farther.

The BEST reload drill in the world, ever, is the "burkett" reload I liberated from his first vid, ps 1-3.Start with an empty gun on target. At the buzzer, hit the button and bring the new mag just to the edge of the well. Do not insert it. Repeat, then some more.

My avg par time for this is .6

THE WAY to do a sub second load is to CALL the last shot prior with unfailing certainty and get thy weak and to thine mag post-haste.

Any uncertainty about the last shot, any mental clutter, will add hesitation to thy load.

I do 20-50 of those Burkett loads every dry fire session.

As Travis says "the middle of the load is the most important part." Once you are conditioned to seeing the mag just touch the magwell, the actual insertion is a breeze.

You may be able to do blind reloads if you are grooved in the zone, BUT this ability may not be with you at 10:00 am, 45 degrees, sunday morning, classifier first stage.

I've done a couple of .8 ish loads in practice on 5 yard targets, and calling the last shot makes it happen.

Think about it...if you know, when the trigger releases the hammer, that the sights are on target, you can start the load with confidence AS the gun is firing. Even if that amount of time can't be accurately measured, the increased confidence in the next act makes it execute properly.

SA

You may be able to do blind reloads if you are grooved in the zone, BUT this ability may not be with you at 10:00 am, 45 degrees, sunday morning, classifier first stage.

Steve

That's why I don't shoot in 45 degrees if I can help it. :PB)

Ok, I got motivated and took a picture, as well as I could.

reload.jpg

1. Front sight is just a little higher than eye level and the mag well is in the center of the chest.

2. That piece of beat-up white tape is my focus point.

3. Thumb is out of the way and index finger is off the trigger.

4. The angle of the grip is one that points toward my mag pouch, this requires tilting the gun slightly higher and forward a touch.