Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloader?

Noah my boy

I got the 550b from Dillon, and I do not regret it. In fact, I have 2 set up now, one for small primer, and one for large.

I load 9mm, 45acp, and .223, without any problems at all.

I loaded for 10 years on a single stage press. I would recommend a single stage for precision rifle, but for pistol a progressive is awesome.

OH, welcome aboard. You have found a great place on the interweb.

Even Brian Enos doesn't recommend the SDB unless you have used one and like it.

If you get the 550 you must manually index it. This almost defeats the purpose of a progressive reloader IMHO. Progressive reloading allows for the most automation.

I would consider the 650. Does not matter if you are a noob or not. If you can run a pop up toaster and can read at a 9th grade level you will do fine.

Always strive to buy once. Always strive for automation.

Just my .02

What is the best dillion for the price. I will be doing mostly 40cal. Thanks

I've loaded probably 200K on an SDB and it's an awesome little press. The negatives are that it uses special dies, it's small if you have big fingers, and if you use range brass, you might have a problem with bulged brass not being resized enough. The fix to the last is to get a single stage press and either a Redding GRx or an EGW/Lee U-die to process the brass before you load it. I can do 100 rounds in 9.5min at a normal pace on my SDB. When I get around to it, I'm going to order a 1050, but I'll still keep the SDB set up for my second most used cartridge. R,

Everyone is right about this site it rocks thanks for all the reply's so quick. I am looking into the 650 and 550 for sure.. One of them will be mine O yes it will be mine. Thanks everyone..

Just would like to reiterate this point. It is much cheaper to buy ONE press and learn how to use it than work your way up with several presses. Some people don't see the forest for the trees. Let's say you buy the 550 (or SDB) and in 3 years you realize we were correct and you are tired of indexing the press by hand every round. Now you will own 2 presses. You can buy a lot of conversion kits for the price of a second press. Always overbuy on the first purchase. It generally saves time and money. Base your decision on need 5 years from NOW and buy THAT machine and work into it. That is the definition of economy.

Is all dillion have the same Warranty? cause I was told that the 650 or maybe the 1050 did not have the same?

The 650 comes with Dillon's Lifetime No BS Warranty which is truly a NO BS warranty. The 1050 is considered a commercial machine and is warrantied for 90 days (I might be wrong on the length of time) and is not covered by the lifetime warranty. One other big consideration when choosing one or the other is the cost of ALL of the parts needed for a caliber change.

Pat

I would consider the 650.

SS,

How many rounds an hour do you get out of your 650? What calibers? I used to get about 300-400 out of my SDB (loading 40). With my 650, I get a good bit more.

I do on average about 500rd/hr on my 650. But...I have been accused of "loping the mule" whilst reloading. I don't get in a hurry. Not all about speed for me. Much more about features.

Never used a SDB (just paraphrased what BE says) nor a 550. I don't care to index the press by hand. Just my preference. I also have loaded with a LCT and still have my Load Master that I use for .45 GAP. I load .40 and .45 ACP on the 650.

It all depends on how much you shoot and how much time you got to reload!? do you plan on loading for rifle later down the line? sdb(square deal B) come with its own dies only for that caliber(you cant load riffle) you wonna load for, its small from what I seen and the RL550B is a manual indexing press(meaning you gotta turn the star by hand),on the 550b you can load rifle and there is an optional casefeeder but it DOES NOT feed rifle and uses standered loading dies as the 1050 and 650.the 650 is auto indexing press(meaning bull down the handle it turns the star each time you pull the handle)If you decide to go with the 650 get it with the casefeed or its just a auto indexing 550! the 650 comes with a powder check system also the sdb, rl550b, and 650 come with the Dillon no bs warenty great costomer service and the 1050 is a beastyou aint ready for that!lol... as for me I like my Dillon RL550B I am loading for 40's, 45ACP, and 44 magnum and the conversion kits are fast to change over. Dillon is truly the cadillac of all presses you get what you pay for and some! good luck on your choice you will love anyone that you decide to get

I would consider the 650.

SS,

How many rounds an hour do you get out of your 650? What calibers? I used to get about 300-400 out of my SDB (loading 40). With my 650, I get a good bit more.

I do on average about 500rd/hr on my 650. But...I have been accused of "loping the mule" whilst reloading. I don't get in a hurry. Not all about speed for me. Much more about features.

Never used a SDB (just paraphrased what BE says) nor a 550. I don't care to index the press by hand. Just my preference. I also have loaded with a LCT and still have my Load Master that I use for .45 GAP. I load .40 and .45 ACP on the 650.

Manually indexing a 550 takes about as much effort and time as pulling the trigger on your gun. I load on a 550 with no case or bullet feeder and can get around 450-500 an hour of 40 S&W. Everyone says a full progressive press is safer, but I don't think that's the case. A squib or double charge can happen on any press (this has been discussed at length before, arguments were raised, tempers flared, not going down that road again). If all you are ever going to load is pistol, get the SDB. If you have thoughts on loading any rifle along with the pistol (and you don't plan on loading more than say, 2,000 rounds of pistol or rifle a month, then get the 550. Above 2,000, get the 650. Bear in mind, the 650 is gonna cost a fair bit more, and if you don't buy the optional bullet and case feeders, then all you really have is an expensive 550, that auto indexes. My .02.....

The Super 1050. Otherwise, you would be better off with the Hornady.

If I had to buy a Dillon and didn't want a 1050 (strange thought), I would get the 650. I just don't want a progressive with less than 5 stations.

The 550 is for people who want to control every operation, so not having auto-indexing keeps them in control.

The SDB locks you into just that single caliber or yo will have to buy relatively expensive caliber conversions with proprietary dies that won't work on any other press.

What is the best dillion for the price. I will be doing mostly 40cal. Thanks

I've loaded probably 200K on an SDB and it's an awesome little press. The negatives are that it uses special dies, it's small if you have big fingers, and if you use range brass, you might have a problem with bulged brass not being resized enough. The fix to the last is to get a single stage press and either a Redding GRx or an EGW/Lee U-die to process the brass before you load it. I can do 100 rounds in 9.5min at a normal pace on my SDB. When I get around to it, I'm going to order a 1050, but I'll still keep the SDB set up for my second most used cartridge. R,

I agree with every word you said... I have owned 2 SDB's one was set-up for 9mm the other for .45 ACP.

I agree with other sentiments about the SDB that it's a little overpriced new for one caliber and considering it's limitation for proprietary dies. However, buying one used is a great deal if you are patient. I purchased both of the 2 that I owned for less than $250 with at least 2 or 3 caliber conversions each. I just sold one for $315 shipped with 2 caliber conversions in 9mm and .40

The buyer was ecstatic about the deal and the condition. Dillon took care of me throughout the time I owned it. Never had to send it in for rebuild but I would call in and practically replaced every part myself whether through a breakage or preventative maintenance issue.

I started with the 550. But now several years later I wish I started with the 650.

So the 550 is going on the block.

EXACTLY. Don't think in the moment. Or even in the context of a year. Where will you be in 5 years? Where do you want to be? Buy a press that will be better in 5 years that it is now. It will save time and money.

Buy the most press you can afford, not switching calibers much the 650 rocks, small runs and changing calibers the 550 is a quicker change over, but runs slower. Square deal is stuck with dillon dies, limiting the quality of ammo you can produce. Stock guns they are ok. Have a good aftermarket barrel in your favorite shooter the sdb might not cut it.

I'll load 9mm, 38 Special, 357mag, 40 S@W, 45acp, 38 super, 45 colt, 223 and 30.06 on my 550 and it has served me well for a long time. Thought several times of up dating but used that money on other pistols.

Have loaded on several friends 650 and it was quite a bit quicker but I wouldn't go there unless your will to spring for the whole set up, case feeders and plates. It will double the cost of the machine but will run faster. Speed cost how much do you want to spend.

Buy the most press you can afford, not switching calibers much the 650 rocks, small runs and changing calibers the 550 is a quicker change over, but runs slower. Square deal is stuck with dillon dies, limiting the quality of ammo you can produce. Stock guns they are ok. Have a good aftermarket barrel in your favorite shooter the sdb might not cut it.

I'll load 9mm, 38 Special, 357mag, 40 S@W, 45acp, 38 super, 45 colt, 223 and 30.06 on my 550 and it has served me well for a long time. Thought several times of up dating but used that money on other pistols.

Have loaded on several friends 650 and it was quite a bit quicker but I wouldn't go there unless your will to spring for the whole set up, case feeders and plates. It will double the cost of the machine but will run faster. Speed cost how much do you want to spend.

My sentiments exactly (and almost the exact same calibers in my 550!) :cheers:

I started with a Hornady, and it was a total waste of money. Went to a 650 and never looked back. I used Christmas money, and then birthdays and stuff to get casefeeders and conversion kits etc... If I had to do it all over again, I'd go straight to the 650. I now have a toolhead set up for every caliber I reload, and change outs are pretty quick. The points others have made are valid, but once you set this press up, it is so simple and easy to use. I can't even imagine using something else.