Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fatigue leading to.....

slippp

So I noticed recently at my last match....okay, well, for starters, the local club match I usually go to normally does 6 stages. Our last match had 7 stages. By the final stage, I was relatively tired and all my shots were off.

I asked the other members in my squad where my shots were going, and they were off to the left.

When fatigued, what is the best method to shoot? I realized when watching the videos that I was kind of rushing myself and that I didn't take my time on the last stage. I will put that into consideration at the next match but I definitely have to practice longer!

Thanks!

Gradually build your practice sessions making them a bit longer each time. Going from say a one hour practice to a three hour right away will be detrimental, if you get bored or tired and continue to practice you will just practice badly.

Also pay attention to what you eat and drink. While most matches have a lower round count than a practice session it is usually stretched out over a longer period. A sugar rush and then crash will hurt. I can put together a list of some of the foods that my nutritionist recommended. And stick to water with some Gatorade to supplement (don't drink just Gatorade, drink mostly water) hydration.

Basically once you are already tired or fatigued, you are screwed, it's too late. You need to build your stamina. This sport doesn't really need a lot of strength, but shooting big matches requires you to be able to go all day at the same level of performance regardless of the conditions.

Pay attention.

Honestly, I guess that's really overlooked. I noticed I was rushing to finish and "Be fast" when I didn't really need to.

I usually snack and drink water during a several stage match. Keeps me more alert. I sometimes carry a chair so I can sit for a few moments every once in a while.

Yeah I stayed more than hydrated. I had to piss every 10 minutes :P

I had some power bars with me but I forgot to eat them. Didn't cross my mind. lol.

I can put together a list of some of the foods that my nutritionist recommended. And stick to water with some Gatorade to supplement (don't drink just Gatorade, drink mostly water) hydration.

Yep. I had 2 huge water bottles and only 1 bottle of Gatorade.

I think it would be beneficial to everyone to see that list your nutritionist recommended if you wouldn't mind!

Well she's been right on for me, I've had no problem going all day with her recommendations, in fact I am often better at the end of the day then at the start. But I tend to skip breakfast and I shouldn't.

Right. Usually most good nutritionists make a list specifically for their client, not just what works in general, which I'm assuming is what she did.

And stop skipping breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day :lol:

I am the other way around....

the longer the match, the better I get. lol

Every match I have shot so far, I bring a cooler and a chair. Cooler has at least 4 bottles of Vitamin Water, 3 yogurts, fruit... and I try to get lunch to go, made day before, either pasta and shrimp or fish.

I eat breakfast on the way to the match.

I am shocked at the number of people who dont eat prior to match, and dont take a break to snack during the match.

It is not just a distraction. It is not a mental problem, it is a physical problem.

There are many studies out there about sports nutrition. The body can not perform adequately much less at a high performance level unless there is the proper amount of fuel in the body. Fuel can be defined as many items that contribute to function of the body e.g., food, water, vitamins,

I believe there is a study out there about how a 10% reduction in hydration results in a significant reduction in performance. The same is true for blood sugars. A person with a blood sugar of 40 is going to experience multiple symptoms

such as shakes and blurred vision, which will have an adverse effect on performance.

Just look at the science behind the creation of Gatorade.

I look forward to hearing what Pat's person has to say on the matter.

I believe there is a study out there about how a 10% reduction in hydration results in a significant reduction in performance.

I've ready this study and it seemed to have merit, but I can't remember where I found it. I thought I remembered it being a 2% reduction in hydration results in a 10% or more reduction in performance.

A person with a blood sugar of 40 is going to experience multiple symptoms

such as shakes and blurred vision, which will have an adverse effect on performance.

Let me qualify that. This is true if your body is not adapted to using fat for energy in place of sugar (carbohydrate).

Gatorade has done nothing to increase performance that wouldn't have been done with a solid nutritional base. It is basically just sugar water...no thanks.

Well, the conditioning is not too big of a factor I wouldn't think. I work out everyday for ~2 hours and bike about 30 minutes every day. I'm not in superb shape, but I have good stamina. I'm just not used to the shooting because I'm still new. I think I just have to develop muscle memory.

I think the science behind the creation of Gatorade is solid, not necessarily the product. In most 10K and above races (running) there are numerous stations with hydration--if I remember correctly focused on replacing electrolytes and fluids not addition of sugars. In my youth, I probably ran 100 or more races. I was not an obsessive/compulsive type but I did well for my age group usually second tier. In the 15K and half marathons we went by a rule that if you start drinking when you are thirsty you are doing it too late. You are already dehydrated. It is kind of like the old saying in politics, vote early and often; well drink early and often.

Our windsurfing club had a physical therapist and nutritionist come and speak about these types of issues. Quite a number of us were big wind sailboarders, heavy seas/water, cold, and not near shore. We were in a physically demanding environment. We had one guy who was prone to cramping, they suggest adding sodium/potassium to his system during the sailboarding day. The intent of the discussions were focused on the importance of nutrition and fluids. For me my fluids were imported from Holland in little green bottles!

Last year at Nationals a lot of folks went down because they did not drink early or often. The heat can really get a person dehydrated quickly. Too much evaporation off the skin, so you really might not notice you're sweating so much.

IMHO; eat and drink throughout the match and this might go a long way in resolving the fatigue. If this is taken care of, then it is back to the executing the fundamentals as Jake says.

Well, the conditioning is not too big of a factor I wouldn't think. I work out everyday for ~2 hours and bike about 30 minutes every day. I'm not in superb shape, but I have good stamina. I'm just not used to the shooting because I'm still new. I think I just have to develop muscle memory.

Yes, but a large match can be 8 hours on the range. Remember we only really do a couple of minutes at the most of actually physical effort in that 8 hours. But mentally you are going that whole stretch without a rest. Some people come home from work exhausted even though they sat at a desk all day....

Yes, but a large match can be 8 hours on the range. Remember we only really do a couple of minutes at the most of actually physical effort in that 8 hours. But mentally you are going that whole stretch without a rest. Some people come home from work exhausted even though they sat at a desk all day....

Right. I think I just have to work on my mental focus more. I'm pretty good at being focused early, but I think the more I shoot, the faster I want to shoot, and the faster I try to get faster (confused? lol). I realized that I was trying to go faster at the last stage. It's definitely something I need to learn. Smooth and slow. =]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lots of water and snacks throughout the match. Since most of the outdoor ranges that I attend don't have much seating, I purchased a little tripod folding camp chair that fits in my range bag. It definitely helps me to get the load off my feet throughout the match.