Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opening up the loading port on the SLP

Pro2AInPA

For you guys who have opened up the loading port on your SLP by grinding away receiver material, what in the hell did you use?

I tried using the grinding stone attachments for the dremel, but they just fill up immediately with aluminum and become useless.

I need help! :unsure:

I want it to look like this when I'm done:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=24710

I used a carbide burr on a die grinder to rough it out and a sanding drum on the dremel to finish it. Mine was a Benelli, but same idea.

I don't know what a die grinder is, but would a carbide burr on a dremel do the same thing?

Carbide cutter for your Dremel: CLICK HERE

Be careful with this...this cutter will cut very quickly and aggressively, throwing out very small, sharp chips that can stick in your skin. Also make sure it stays tight in the chuck, Carbide is slicker than the steel bits you normally use. It can move or pull out of the chuck while cutting if your are not cautious to to stop and re-tighten periodically.

I used a carbide burr on a die grinder to rough it out and a sanding drum on the dremel to finish it. Mine was a Benelli, but same idea.

I don't know what a die grinder is, but would a carbide burr on a dremel do the same thing?

A die grinder is a Dremel on STEROIDS!

I would suggest you have the reciever in a vise when you start removing metal, rather than holding it between your knees.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I had a thought today on the loading port when my finger finally got pinched. I've seen how a few have modified the loading lever by filling it in with metal to keep that "pinch" or finger stick from happening. But the fork is actually used to guide the shell into the chamber, so filling it in might actually be detrimental to dependablitiy. But what about cutting the fork LONGER? so that a finger or skinny thumb won't get trapped?

That last picture up there shows where a grinding wheel could just easily lengthen the fork.

zufhox.jpg

Good lord!

Still looks like a finger trap to me. Just with a side view.

Keep us posted how it works out.

My issue was the receiver material rubbing skin off of the left side of my thumb during loading practice sessions.

Removing all that material fixed that issue. I'm still planning on sending the trigger group to C-Rums to have the lifter welded to prevent the tip of my thumb from being trapped.

For you guys who have opened up the loading port on your SLP by grinding away receiver material, what in the hell did you use?

I tried using the grinding stone attachments for the dremel, but they just fill up immediately with aluminum and become useless.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=24710

I was looking at this thread and realized that the shotgun in the picture is mine! I used a cutting wheel on my Dremel and then smoothed the edges with a small sanding drum. I should have mentioned when I replied to your PM that it is a good idea to put tape or some kind of marking to indicate where to cut BEFORE starting. Also, don't cut so much that all the little parts inside start to fall out!

Doug

I was looking at this thread and realized that the shotgun in the picture is mine! I used a cutting wheel on my Dremel and then smoothed the edges with a small sanding drum. I should have mentioned when I replied to your PM that it is a good idea to put tape or some kind of marking to indicate where to cut BEFORE starting. Also, don't cut so much that all the little parts inside start to fall out!

Doug

See above for photos. :cheers:

I used a carbibe cutter and sanding drums on mine. And I used the tape method!

I didn't know you were allowed to take off that much material off your shotgun.hmmmm

Nothing in rule book about it as far as I know. <_<

Lol I'm pretty sure you only lose style points for making your shotgun look that ugly wink.gif

Style points mean nothin'. All that matters is the results of the match. :cheers: