Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reflexive Sight Choice (aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon

I am considering a few different reflexive sights for an M4 and wondered if those with more experience with them might have some recommendations. I am looking at the EOTECH 550, the Aimpoint Comp M2, or some version of Trijicon (though cost may be prohibitive here)

The sight will be used on an M4 in combat conditions and likely in an urban environment. I have used the M68 version of the Aimpoint and have been pleased but have not had the opportunity to fire with the EOTECH or Trijicon. I would like comments and a comparison and contrast from those who have used more than one of these sites.

Which did you find more suitable for reflexive fire? Longer range shots? Night fire? Which seemed more durable? On the Trijicon, did you prefer the triangle or dot? What other recommendations or comments do you have? Which sight would you recommend and why?

Thanks

I ran a Comp M on my M4 for a long time. I tried the EOTech and wasn`t crazy about it at first. I have since changed my mind. Side by side, the EOTech is much faster for CQB and urban work. Put the big circle in the chest and pull the trigger, and if you need precision the 1 MOA dot serves that purpose better than the 3 or 4 MOA dot in the Aimpoint.

Another good point about the EOTech is, you do not need a separate mount to put it on the weapon ( assuming it is a flattop). You do need one with an Aimpoint. Your going to pay as much for an Aimpoint as you will for the EOTech, before you buy the mount.. which ranges anywhere within $95 to $175 depending on what you get. The EOTech will bolt right on.

Don`t waste your time with the Trijicon reflex. The reticles wash out in bright light, even with the polarizing filter.

CS#158

The reticle pattern of the EOTech is one of the things that puts it ahead of most of the other dot sights. The one MOA dot inside of the 65 MOA ring is just a really good idea (I have non-EOTech red dot with a 3MOA dot and 65MOA ring which I like a lot). And for longer distances, small is better ... the 1MOA dot is it.

The point about mounting solutions is also very good. With the EOTech, you just slap that baby on your flat top and go for it.

I remember reading somthing a couple months ago. Someone was reporting on a class they took or taught to some Spec Ops types. One group of guys had the EO, the others had Aimpoints. As I recall the consensus was that the Aimpont was the most field ready sight, despite the superior recticle of the EO. What was noted was that the EO would occasionally shut it self of during longs breaks and that the shooters would occasionally turn them of to conserve batteries. By contrast the AP's, with a battery life measured in thousands of hours, could be turned on and left on for the day. AP shooters never had to mount their rifle, then pause to turn the sight on. Additionally it was noted that when it was necessary to adjust the brightness it was much easier (particularly with gloves) to just roll in a little correction to the AP's wheel. Where as on the EO it you had to press the correct little button on the face to go either up or down. The AP could be adjusted without loosing sight picture. Not true of the EO.

for what its worth.... I sold a couple of things in the gun safe and purchased a compact ACOG a TA44 1.5 x 16 with the amber triangle.....It wasn't particularly cheap but I rationalize it this way... a couple of $350 pistols that weren't being used in exchange for a sight that will be used.... the bonus is that you dont have to worry about the light going off....besides, when you are old and slow, you need something for people to "ooh and aah" over....regards

Just a comment from the peanut gallery.

The Reflex II, unless I got a bad one, has alot of paralax. And as mentioned is not really that bright.

As I understand , the EO is really similar to the Holo site II ,have one, love it.

But turning it on is not a big deal for me, my targets don't shoot back.

Travis F.

It appears that all three are being currently used. Nobody seems to like the Reflex, including myself. I agree with the comments about parallax, reticle washout, and less than clear sight pictures.

Both the Aimpoint and Holosight are in current military use. Which is more durable under field conditions? I don't know. I've heard of both broken Aimpoints and Holos. Pat Rogers definitely prefers the Aimpoint but the soldiers that I've talked to who are "shooter-types" seem to prefer the Holosight by a substantial margin. I understand the Holo which uses AA batteries is popular since most everything else uses AA batteries and they're easily available.

I have both. Inside of 50 yards, I have seen no appreciable difference in speed or accuracy. Once distances get further, the 1 MOA dot of the Holo is easier to use. The Holo is easier to mount but the GG&G Aimpoint base is about as tough looking a ring and mount as you can find.

I myself prefer a Holo for what it's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Paging KyleL...

IIRC, he posted some good, operational experience based info on this subject awhile back, with the end result being the EOTech Holosight is the superior dot sight.

It is a remarkably durable component, with varied options for battery power, mounts, and even NVD compatibility. Problems with the bright/NVD mode control buttons have been fixed in newer models.

EOTech carries around a demonstrator for trade shows that has part of the screen obscured by paint, and part of it destroyed by a bullet. The sight is still functional.

It seems to have become the standard for reflex sights, for the time being, with demonstrated functionality at extended range, as Kelly pointed out.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 4moa C-More. VERY reasonably priced, good battery life great FOV. A little more fragile than EOtech, but I try not to thorw my AR down too much anyway! I have it on a discontinued (can't remember the number) A.R.M.S. throw lever that maintains zero. I can go from Limited (carry handle) to open in seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
Which EOTech model is best for 3-gun? I would like to add one to my collection, but I dont know what model is most commonly used for this type of sport. Thanks in advance,

LD

Cheapest would do, like the 511/512 series with the standard reticle (circle/dot).

Which EOTech model is best for 3-gun? I would like to add one to my collection, but I dont know what model is most commonly used for this type of sport. Thanks in advance,

LD

Choose one that uses AA-batteries. They have battery life 5x compared to units which use N batteries. Also AA's are ofcourse easier to find and cheaper.

I have one with N-types and that's about the only thing to complain.

After a few NFM's (non factory modifications) I must say I am just as happy with the Trijicon Reflex. It is bright when bright and dim when dim, I have found NO paralax of any sort. I tried 5 different groups at 200 yards, one with the dot centered and one with the dot in one of the 4 quadrents. All the groups hit with in a 3" circle nicely centered, although it LOOKED far different! I know Kelly thinks it is from the devil, but mine seems to work! I must admit the "self adjusting elevation" problem was at first hard to deal with, but it is easily fixed and I do believe the factory has this well in hand now! KURTM

• 3 weeks later...

:D

Eotech or old style Bushnell has proven itself for me & my better half, we both shoot IPSC and have the old style Bushnell Halo's on the forehand of our Bushy M4's and she has the new style, AA, Eotech mounted on her Glock 35 for Open class. I stick with Fibre optic on pistols, old habits hard to break but the firbe optic is a definate improvement over black steel. One of the Bushnell Halo's is 5 years old and we shoot at least 2 matches a month, not counting practice, its never had so much as a hiccup.