Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 Questions

Erud

Hi Guys,

Let me start by saying I'm primarily a rifle shooter(NRA Highpower, mostly) but have shot a couple of action-type matches and enjoyed them. I've got a pretty good foundation with rifles and pistols and have good equipment already to get started with, but shotguns are a different story. I have very little experience with them and I must admit I am not good with them at this point. From the reading I've done on this and other boards, it looks like the Benelli M2 would be a good choice for an entry-level 3-gun shotgun. Fair enough - I'll get one. Now the questions begin. To me, the M2 Tactical Comfortech looks like it would be the best fit for me, but it doesn't seem to be a popular choice among 3-gunners. The rifle sights are the main reason I think I'd like the tactical, not just because I like the word "Tactical"... I shoot tons of rifle with iron sights and I'm pretty handy with them. Seems like a shotgun with similar sights would be easy to transition to, no?

Since this sport is not my area of expertise, I'm perfectly willing to accept that I am a total ignoramus on this topic and I'd love for someone to steer me straight. Can you guys explain what the major advantages of the regular M2 Field with 21" or 24" barrel are over the Tactical? I have a hard time with bead front sights on the SG's I've used, but as I said, I have pretty limited experience. There is also a $150 rebate from Benelli on the M2 Tactical until the end of the year. Couple that with the $150 gift card I can get from Cabela's if I buy it from them and there's an extra $300 to spend on other stuff.

Is the Comfortech stock worth the extra $?

If I go with the M2 Field, what sort of mods might be recommended for 3-gun use? Don't need unnecessary bells and whistles, but I don't mind paying for useful upgrades. Would it be worth while to just get something like the Salient Arms M2 from Velocity shooter here?:

http://www.velocityshooter.com/product_info.php?products_id=346&osCsid=31082a5ef0e829d9074d64edfd1cffd3

Is this money well spent, or just a lot of stuff I don't need? Any other recommendations along these lines? It's just the bead sight thing that's keeping me from buying an M2 right now...

Thanks,

Erik

The tactical model has a few features that many people find to be a detriment to 3 gun. It lacks removable chokes, the 18" barrel (many prefer longer), the lack of a rib or a bead, and the a pistol grip. The reason most top performing practical shotguns look similar is that the combination seems to work well. You can do well with most any shotgun, but will probably find it easier to go with one that has the features best suited to the game we play. There is a vast amount of discussion about this topic on this board, a quick search will yield you a great deal of information. Good luck!

Many folks rushed to the M2 when it was released and I am just as guilty as they are in that regard. Comfort tech is nice but you seldom feel the recoil in the heat of the match anyway.

But if I was starting now and had a choice between a good used M1 at the prices I see and the cost of an M2 with the rebate, I would be happier with the used M1.

This question gets asked once a week. Try reading back through the most recent posts in the shotgun forum. If that doesn;t answer your questions let us know. I think someone just aske that exact same thing about the rebate on the tactical

Thanks, but I've spent a pretty good amount of time reading on this forum - that's what led me to the M2 in the first place - and the questions. I've seen and read a ton about the M2 here, but I still have questions. Didn't see any topics about the rebate, but I guess I didn't have a question about it anyways, just mentioned it as something that made the M2 Tactical a little more attractive to me right now. Anyways,

Why do you guys prefer the bead front sight over rifle sights? Is it faster to acquire, more forgiving, or what? What the heck is a vent rib even good for? How about upgrades? Or the Salient Arms M2 from Velocity Shooters?

Stlhead: Thanks for the info on the Tactical - I didn't realize it didn't have removable chokes. Would that be a big detriment for 3-gun use?

Charles Bond: Can you tell me why you would prefer the M1 over the M2?

Thanks All,

Erik

The tactical model has a few features that many people find to be a detriment to 3 gun. It lacks removable chokes, the 18" barrel (many prefer longer), the lack of a rib or a bead, and the a pistol grip. The reason most top performing practical shotguns look similar is that the combination seems to work well. You can do well with most any shotgun, but will probably find it easier to go with one that has the features best suited to the game we play. There is a vast amount of discussion about this topic on this board, a quick search will yield you a great deal of information. Good luck!

One correction, I recently bought a M2 Tactical and it has removable chokes and came with 3 chokes.

Edited by johes

1. You gotta have chokes or the ability to shoot a tighter pattern them cylinder bore. I have never handled an M2 Tactical so I don't know what it cones with or without.

2. You gotta have a Nordic Components +5 or +6 magazine extension tube and an extra tube spring or two.

3. You gotta have your lifter welded up. www.C-Rums.com

4. You gotta open up the loading port. This is easy to do with a file, dremel, and sandpaper.

5. A lightened bolt from some qualified gunsmith such as Triangle Shooting Sports is nice to aid in reliable cycling if reduced recoil and lighter loads.

6. A rear 10/22 site, XS notch site, or a notch/hole in the rear of vent rib to aid in sight alignment for slug shooting.

7. A BIG high visibility front fiber optic is nice and borders on must have.

8. If you need to sling your shotgun which you eventually will nerd to do. Get a barrel clamp from Nordic as well and a 1/2" 10-30 sling stud withth a QD sling swivel loop.

9. Speaking of slings the padded VTAC is a great option. You will need to buttstock adapter to use it with your shotgun.

10. The Nordic charging handle for the bolt is a nice add on.

11. The Arredondo oversized bolt release is pretty fly too.

12. The comfortech stock does reduce recoil. So since your gonna have $1500+ in the gun when it's done it's probably wise to buy the best in the beginning.

13. A nice stipple job on the firearm and grip are nice because you will sweat and that plastic is slippery. Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron did a great job on mine.

14. A couple of good Briley chokes finish the wants list off. You gotta have a LM because Kurt Miller says so. A wide open Cylinder, Skeet or even Diffusion is handy for hoser clays only stages. I have a full as well for the rare instance that I want to shoot those annoying steel plates into next week.

I think that's about all I have done to mine. The Salient Arms gun is nice. It would still need a few things IMO. Benny Hill at Triangle can make you exactly what you want. Accurate Iron can help you too.

Edited by jtischauser

After the 3-gun nat's I let rob ramero shoot my m2 & he said it was almost cheating compared to the recoil in his m1. He will shoot one in the near future. All you need is a good fiber optic front sight for slugs.

Benny,

Would you recommend I just get the Standard M2 Field with 21" vent rib barrel and put a fiber front sight and I'll be good to go? I know you are pretty much the man as far as these shotguns go, so I will put a lot of stock in your advice - it is much appreciated. On another note, what kind of $ would a guy be looking at to get the modifications JTISchauser mentions above?

JTISHcauser - thanks for the additional info.

Thanks,

Erik

There is an old adage... Buy once - Cry once.

Like many old adages, this one sounds good but seems to make no sense, literally. So ... what does that mean?

"Double rainbow, man. Its sooo beautiful. ... What does it mean?"

Just in case you really are serious.....biggrin.gif

When you buy something of inferior quality or of lesser refinement than you will end up needing... not only do you waste your money the first time you buy ....but you will then need to buy AGAIN.... to get what you should have bought the first time.

Hard to spend the $$$ but... Instead of crying and spending the money for something less than you need. Buy the good shit to start with and cry only once about your expenditure.

By once - Cry once....

Just in case you really are serious.....biggrin.gif

When you buy something of inferior quality or of lesser refinement than you will end up needing... not only do you waste your money the first time you buy ....but you will then need to buy AGAIN.... to get what you should have bought the first time.

Hard to spend the $$$ but... Instead of crying and spending the money for something less than you need. Buy the good shit to start with and cry only once about your expenditure.

By once - Cry once....

I've done enough of other types of shooting to have become a fan of buying and crying as few times as possible. I am open to the possibility of paying more for a fully built and ready to go shotgun, depending on details.

Thanks,

Erik

In response to the question, I like the M1 for the money. No question that the M2 absorbs recoil better but the M1 has a stronger receiver and seems to be more reliable but YMMV. I doubt you can ever wear out a Benelli and at least I can find a used M1 for %500 less than a M2. For that amount of money, you can trick out the M1 and still have funds for plenty of ammo.

There is no single perfect shotgun for the sport. Each gun whether new or used needs something. My suggestion is that you try several different ones out before writing a check. If you can locate a local threegun match nearby suggest going and visiting. Last year a local pistolero got interested in shooting 3g so several of us joined him at the range for a play day. All in all I think there were 6 sg's on the table. We each took turns shooting steel and clays. At the end of the day...it all came down to personal taste.

Why do you guys prefer the bead front sight over rifle sights? Is it faster to acquire, more forgiving, or what? What the heck is a vent rib even good for?

Erik

Rifle and or ghost ring sights are a little slower to shoot on a shotgun. Because you are aiming them. A shotgun is shot fastest by pointing it (thats what your weekhand index finger is for, right.) A front fiber optic and a small rear index (or folding 10/22 type sight) are helpful for slug shots.

The index finger and your eyesight are instramental in hitting your target fast. If the bbl heats up and you get mirrage off of the bbl your eyesight might not be so good. A vent rib i believe was designed to break-up the mirrage of a hot bbl so you can still see your target clearly. I remember my first 1100 had a non vented bbl and in the AZ sun dove hunting it had heat waves radiating off of it just sitting in the field waiting for a dove to fly by. My next shotgun had a VR and no such issues.

American Shooters, in Las Vegas, had tricked out M2's on their table at the USPSA 3-Gun National Championship. I think they were approx $2,000 including all the popular modifications for Tactical Class. They looked great and appeared to be done right.

Even though the M2's are not listed, here is the website for phone number: AmericanShooters.com

I had a Benelli M1S90, sold it after I bought and shot my Salient Arms Benelli M2, check Velocity Shooter under the BEnos vendors. As much as I liked my M1 by the time I put out $$$ on a longer vent rib barrel and standard stock it still didn't shoot as flat as the M2, the M2 with Comfortech recoils less. I did put a Nordic Comp tube and clamp on in place of the DMW ones(they are both nice), only because I already had them and they were a couple of ounces lighter. I put on the Nordic Comp bolt handle and took it back off, too big and not necessary. I also have a Winchester SX2 which is the exact same as the FN SLP Mark 1. The FN recoils much less, probably because of the extra weight from the damn cantilever rail and I can't bring myself to put out the $$$ on a vent rib barrel. For how light and nimble my M2 is in comparison I will take the little bit of extra recoil. It rocks!!!!! Keep in mind the only shotgun I've shot that sucked recoil wise was a Franchi LAW 12, semi-auto only, ultra light in weight and after 5 rounds of 00 buck I put it away and sold it. Kinda wish I still had it to play with now(probably sell it again :roflol: ). Keep in mind I am a skinny bastard and I broke my right clavicle almost at the shoulder just over a year ago and the recoil is very tolerable with any of them. If you get the Salient I would probably change the fiber optic bead to a longer more visible one and maybe some extended chokes for a little more protection when dumping your shotgun. Also, my Salient will cycle just about anything. I am sure you would be happy with a Benny Hill as well although I have no personal experience with his work. In all reality, you are going to have fun no matter what you decide.

Edited by fleshoid

In response to the question, I like the M1 for the money. No question that the M2 absorbs recoil better but the M1 has a stronger receiver and seems to be more reliable but YMMV. I doubt you can ever wear out a Benelli and at least I can find a used M1 for %500 less than a M2. For that amount of money, you can trick out the M1 and still have funds for plenty of ammo.

Real happy with my M1 as well. With a Limbsaver recoil pad and Cheek-Ez cheek pad, it's downright comfy. The 24 in. VR barrel with front and mid-beads is very workable for slugs out to 130 yards once you get used to 'em. A Nordic extension, barrel clamp and bolt handle, plus a Progressive Machine bolt release and it's a package that works fine for me.

:cheers:

Curtis

The M1 does not have a stronger receiver than a M2 and is not more reliable. Each one set up right runs great. Mine is going on over 4 yrs w/o any malfunctions unless I cause them.

I am not going to argue with Benny who has forgotten more about Benelli's than most anyone else ever knew. I was under the impression that the receiver of the M1 was stouter. I can only say that based on personal experience that my out of the box M1s have never malfunctions but my M2s have. Now if I just lived down the road from Benny..............

But the idea expressed earlier in this thread was whether it was a wiser use of one's money to buy a used M1 and set it up or a new M2 and get it ready for matches. So the end result is a value judgment and I would like Benny's opinion on that.