Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro Front sight drift

assaulter

I was at the range Friday and couldn't figure out why the hell my shooting suddenly turned to crap. Until I noticed that my front sight was about to slide out of the dovetail. I had a gunsmith buddy stake it and we put some loctite in it. I was talking to someone else at a match yesterday and he had had the same problem. Anyone else? My gun is less than two months old.

I was at the range Friday and couldn't figure out why the hell my shooting suddenly turned to crap. Until I noticed that my front sight was about to slide out of the dovetail. I had a gunsmith buddy stake it and we put some loctite in it. I was talking to someone else at a match yesterday and he had had the same problem. Anyone else? My gun is less than two months old.

For a while almost everyone who tried to replace their Pro front sight had to cut them out (I did)...they were in that tight. Smith may have corrected too far in the other direction. R,

For a while almost everyone who tried to replace their Pro front sight had to cut them out (I did)...they were in that tight. Smith may have corrected too far in the other direction. R,

That's very interesting...

I haven't had a chance to tinker with the sights on my 9L yet, but I've noticed that my front sight is drifted over about 1/16" left of center, like it had to be drifted too far into the taper of the dovetail to be tight. I'm wondering now if once I get it close to center that it might be too loose.

The production date on my 9L is June of 2010.

Edited by dkindig

Same experience here w/ a 9L. That bad boy wouldn't be moved for nuthin'. It took me forever because I was so paranoid about cutting into the slide.

I've got a buddy with a Pro that had the front sight move around on him. He didn't want to mess with it and it was so new he sent it to Smith and they replaced the sight. Couple of hundred rounds later his rear sight did the same thing. It was very loose when his set screw backed out. He sent it back again and they replaced the slide. No more sight problems but then the light strikes started. Smith sent him a new firing pin assembly and now it runs like a champ. This Glock shooter sure was having fun poking at him :) Just don't tell him I really like the way the M&P shoots.