Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you have dedicated rain gear?

SeaTact

I'm thinking it's also going to work out great for the summer on ranges where they don't always have "shade". I know I would have definitely enjoyed it a few times this summer, along with a cooler with ICED beverages and food that I don't have to smash into my range bag. And a chair to plunk down on when I'm cleaning and loading my mags or waiting on the group ahead of us to finish the stage.

People may think it's lazy, but I protest that a shooting match is not tough man contests, nor a place I go to, to get a work out at. :-)

Edited by Aristotle

I'll add another vote for Frogg Toggs! They are light weight, and pack up into a small little bag. I also keep several gallon Ziploc bags (works for the timer, ammo, score sheets, etc...), a garbage bag, and an umbrella too! A spare pair of shoes for the ride home are helpful... If I know it might be really bad, I pack my gym bag so I have a change of clothes if it is a long drive home...

Shot an IDPA match today (no heckling from USPSA devotees, please) and I'm hooked on competition shooting. Here in the Pacific NW, things are getting a little cloudier as fall and winter approaches. Which comes to my questions:

My Uncle Mike's range bag and my all-cotton clothes will turn into sponges if next month's match is in the rain. Do people have water resistant bags that they use in rainy weather? Anyone still use their electronic ear protection also?

Just trying to plan...

Thanks

Best rain gear equipment out there is Gore-Tex. I have used in in camping, hiking, and hunting in all conditions from -10 to 80 degrees. It's ability to exhaust perspiration and layering allows it to be comfortable in all types of situations.

Did Al Gore invent that? No, as I recall it was the internet and global warming that he takes credit for.

Don

Edited by dabeaven

• 4 weeks later...

I just rush ordered some Frogg Toggz for this weekends Advanced Competition Pistol Class I'm taking with Phil Strader. Looking at a 60% chance of rain so I figured now was the time.

I found a better price here at thegearlessmachine.com and a 15% discount code as well.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I just rush ordered some Frogg Toggz for this weekends Advanced Competition Pistol Class I'm taking with Phil Strader. Looking at a 60% chance of rain so I figured now was the time.

I found a better price here at thegearlessmachine.com and a 15% discount code as well.

Cool, post a review of that class if you can. There's a group of us in KC thinking of a class and he's one of the instructors we're considering.

Cool, post a review of that class if you can. There's a group of us in KC thinking of a class and he's one of the instructors we're considering.

Thread Drift...

I will do so. I have already taken his entry level course. It was excellent and for $275 it was a bargain.

Check out our local forum where Phil is a moderator/sponsor. www.boomershooter.com

Thread Drift...

I will do so. I have already taken his entry level course. It was excellent and for $275 it was a bargain.

Check out our local forum where Phil is a moderator/sponsor. www.boomershooter.com

Thanks, and thanks for the PM info.

[/thread drift off]

Jesse

I got mine at Academy. Decent price and immediate gratification. :cheers:

Enjoy the class!

Sherry

Jesse

I got mine at Academy. Decent price and immediate gratification. :cheers:

Enjoy the class!

Sherry

Crap! I wish I knew academy sold that stuff I might have saved me $25 in rush shipping and the cost I am going to incure when I return the size that doesn't fit.

Re: Ears... like another poster above, I have MSA Sordin electronic ear pro. Depending on which model, they are either rated as "water resistant" or completely water proof. I have the water resistant kind and have worn them in rain without a second thought. Awesome ears, with a price tag to match... Shop online and you can find better pricing on them.

Re: Gun... We don't get a lot of rain where I am, but when it's in the forecast, I leave the STI at home and run a Glock!! Then you don't have to worry! :)

I buy packs of 2-3 shower caps at dollar stores, depends on the store. They work great. Keep a pair of Danner ft lewis boots in my truck for rain or snow-work awesome. Rain suit from walmart that I've used several times and works great. Keep trash bags on hand. Hand warmers help also, keep them in my blizzard bag

Don't bother ordering from these guys. My rush order has yet to show up and I can't reach these yahoo's. I am in the process of disputing the charge with my credit card company now. Thought I should warn everyone since I put the link up there.

clean and oil it, but do it soon-espeically if you're shooting a 1911 with the bluing all worn off it.

I shot the Master's IDPA match in Birmingham in the rain this year...we waited around for a while to see if it would slack off before starting to shoot. I finally got bored and found a bay with SO's ready to go and asked if I could just shoot in the rain. I said, "My gun's rusting as we speak." (STI Trojan in 9mm) Sure enough when I pulled it out to LAMR there was already rust on the bare spots.

I tried out this Frogg Toggs rain suit (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713591) this past weekend, with moderate rain and wind. Worked pretty well. Very light. The jacket was loose enough to cover my rig, and the pants, rolled at the top to go under the bottoms of the holster and mag holders, stayed put. Took off the top to shoot, but it was airy enough underneath to dry out well ('twas a balmy 60 odd degrees). My pants cuffs got wet, but mainly because they ran down to my heels. A ball cap under the hood kept the head and face dry, tho I dripped everytime I bent over my ammo and gear bags. The main drawback to this particular version - no pockets or pass throughs. Still, not bad for thirty bucks. It also really doesn't pack down like a nylon suit might - a lot more bulky, but definitely more waterproof.

Found out that the GoreTex membranes in my boots break down after a year or so - wet feet all day. Time to go shopping...

Edited by kevin c

Here in Oregon were it is windy and rainy most of the winter I use a regular upper loose fitting rain coat with a hood to keep my electronic ears dry. I take off the

jacket when I shoot the IPSC stage or if doing 3-gun will leave the jacket on if there is heavy rain. Thinner type rain pants work fine for IPSC but for 3-gun were

we are prone or kneeling often on rocky type terrain the thin pants get punctured. I've switched to a 5.11 rain proof breathable cloth type rain pant that is very durable and has outside pockets that hold spare AR mags or other items. I've also used similar snow boarder pants but the pockets aren't quite as useful.

For really bad weather I've found Muck Boots work great ( www.muckbootsoutlet.com/chore_boot_hi_muck_boots_chh ). They are water proof, very comfortable, great

arch support and they are warm.

For my gear I have a jogging stroller that I have outfitted with gun holders designed for ATVs and I've added a tarp that I clip to the cart and cover

the entire cart and equipment with to keep everything dry -- used it last week for the first time during windy rain and it worked great.

Jerry

Here in Oregon were it is windy and rainy most of the winter I use a regular upper loose fitting rain coat with a hood to keep my electronic ears dry. I take off the

jacket when I shoot the IPSC stage or if doing 3-gun will leave the jacket on if there is heavy rain. Thinner type rain pants work fine for IPSC but for 3-gun were

we are prone or kneeling often on rocky type terrain the thin pants get punctured. I've switched to a 5.11 rain proof breathable cloth type rain pant that is very durable and has outside pockets that hold spare AR mags or other items. I've also used similar snow boarder pants but the pockets aren't quite as useful.

For really bad weather I've found Muck Boots work great ( www.muckbootsoutlet.com/chore_boot_hi_muck_boots_chh ). They are water proof, very comfortable, great

arch support and they are warm.

For my gear I have a jogging stroller that I have outfitted with gun holders designed for ATVs and I've added a tarp that I clip to the cart and cover

the entire cart and equipment with to keep everything dry -- used it last week for the first time during windy rain and it worked great.

Jerry

Old strollers sound like a great idea, especially if there's no dry shelter and you need to keep your gear off wet surfaces. Just can't wheel your stuff off the range. "Oh, what an adorable....baby Glock"